Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Industry Helping BATF to Streamline Form 4 Approvals

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kaltesherz View Post
    This sounds like a positive step in eventually getting the wait time down, but NFA stuff is never going to be over the counter. And honestly it shouldn't be.

The reason NFA items are so rarely used in crimes is because very few gun owners have them, and those of us that do keep them well secured. While I'd like to think that's because we're more responsible (and we are compared to the average gun owner we are), it's also because we don't want to go through the process all over again. Make it easy to get a suppressor and every idiot with an AR is going to pick up the cheapest can they can get. Then it's going to be stolen out of their closet by their tweeker cousin and sold to the local gangbangers for meth. Then it's used in a drive by. Then the media is up in arms that gangs have equipment meant for Special Forces and then congress moves to ban them.
    You think "Assault Weapons" are controversial now? Try "Silenced Assault Weapons".
    I read all those words...but all I heard was:

I support the 2nd Amendment, but...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Why don't politicians try to ban suppressors, SBR's, SBS's and MG's? Because they don't know they're legal.

Make them over the counter and they'll start showing up at crime scenes. Not from legal owners, but stolen. How many legal NFA items have been used in crimes since 1934? Not many. I can think of maybe 3-4. As much of a PITA NFA laws are, they're effective at keeping them out of the hands of criminals. I'd like to see them ease up on the red tape and get the wait down to a few months.
    PRAISE THE FALLEN
    SSG Kevin Roberts KIA 7-May-08
    1Lt Nick Dewhirst KIA 20-July-08
    Cpl Charles Gaffney KIA 24-Dec-08
    Spc Peter Courcy KIA 10-Feb-09
    PFC Jason Watson KIA 10-Feb-09

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjinglesusa View Post
    Asked my local dealer about this when I picked up my suppressor (Yay!).

He said it's a PITA for him and increases HIS time by 30 minutes per form because he has to manually enter everything instead of using his template, i.e., data entry is tied to SilencerCo app on their website and cannot be automated on his end.

He's not advertising it and will only do it if someone asks.

Just a point of reference from one dealer's standpoint.

Yeap.

I have my photograph saved in a scanned rear copy of Form 1 and Form 4 with my own prepared system with all my info already stored in it.

When I start a new NFA transaction, all I have to do is enter in the particular gun information.

This new barcode system doesn't allow the creator to upload the photograph on the form.

This new barcode system is worthless for me.

It is designed for a beginner who buys one NFA item a year. For large collectors or dealers it is worthless.
    Last edited by scottryan; 08-23-17 at 13:10.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    This new barcode system is worthless for me
    I wouldn't say it's "worthless" to anyone.

If they can process the OTHER thousands of forms a bit quicker, then mine, even if done via different methods, benefits too.

Silencershop posted on Instagram today that they are expecting sub 90 days on F4's by the end of the year, although I don't know if I'd count on that just yet.
    Last edited by RedRallyeZ; 08-23-17 at 13:16. Reason: Typo

Feedback Score
    Just tried playing around with it. Did anyone else's not check answers for 16.c, 16.d.1, 16.d.2 and didn't transfer the serial number to the CLEO copy? Is this normal?
    Industry Disclosure: I work at a local gun shop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayoublaster View Post
    Just tried playing around with it. Did anyone else's not check answers for 16.c, 16.d.1, 16.d.2 and didn't transfer the serial number to the CLEO copy? Is this normal?
    I haven't messed around with it...

...but the Serial Number isn't supposed to be on the CLEO Copy. (just like it says on the form)
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 08-23-17 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayoublaster View Post
    Just tried playing around with it. Did anyone else's not check answers for 16.c, 16.d.1, 16.d.2
    Yes I noticed this.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    They need to create a system that stores your picture, FFL info, address, CLEO info, etc that doesn't change with each transaction.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    They need to create a system that stores your picture, FFL info, address, CLEO info, etc that doesn't change with each transaction.
    Depending on your dealer, they pretty much already do...

I don't buy cans from silencershop (I tend to buy silencerco products) but the two dealers I have locally to do my transfers have the SS kiosk in place. I went once in December 2016 when I bought my first post 41F can and used that machine to upload my prints, emailed him a copy of my trust, and downloaded the SS app to take my picture. Now when I have a form 3 show up to my local dealer, they "attach" that can to my silencer shop account, have me buy a tax stamp through SS, and it automatically creates the form 4. I am emailed a copy, as well as an email once the check gets cashed. It is as easy as pre 41f for me.

As for CLEO stuff, SilencerShop just sends it to my state attorney General (SC) Im assuming that they do just some state level option for everyone. I never told them to do that, it just populates that way on the form.
    I always wanted to take two shotguns and mount one on either side of a Rottweiler...I will call the breed a Shottweiler

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRallyeZ View Post
    Depending on your dealer, they pretty much already do...

I don't buy cans from silencershop (I tend to buy silencerco products) but the two dealers I have locally to do my transfers have the SS kiosk in place. I went once in December 2016 when I bought my first post 41F can and used that machine to upload my prints, emailed him a copy of my trust, and downloaded the SS app to take my picture. Now when I have a form 3 show up to my local dealer, they "attach" that can to my silencer shop account, have me buy a tax stamp through SS, and it automatically creates the form 4. I am emailed a copy, as well as an email once the check gets cashed. It is as easy as pre 41f for me.

As for CLEO stuff, SilencerShop just sends it to my state attorney General (SC) Im assuming that they do just some state level option for everyone. I never told them to do that, it just populates that way on the form.

Sorry but no. I already know about this and this solution is not acceptable.

I am not traveling to one of these kiosks. I do not need someone else managing my NFA transaction.

I want a website where I log into it on the internet from any computer and it has my information.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast