Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Most un-reliable handgun you've ever owned...

Feedback Score

Most un-reliable handgun you've ever owned...

Ok, so the counter-part to the " most reliable " thread , what has been the most un-reliable handgun you've ever owned????? lets hear about what you went thru to try to make a handgun work...

For me, it was a M&P 40c ... I bought it from the LGS / range i go to, and at the time i was looking for a 40cal handgun to carry, and they had a barely used M&P40c for 400$ and with my discount ended up costing me like 360$ so i was like F-it..... since i didnt have any 40cal ammo with me, i bought a box and went to the range... and from there i should of known something was up lol

i could fire off a couple shots, but then get a fail to feed completely.... the only way to explain it was the nose of the bullet looked like it was jamming into the feed ramp.. but a slight rack of the slide and it would feed the round into the barrel... and i could fire a couple shots and it would fail to feed again... and repeat lol..

and for about the first 100 to 150 rounds, i was like well maybe it's not broke in.. the slide is tight? recoil spring is tight? even tried new magazines.. so after about 2 months of this, i had the guys at the range / gun store look at the gun and came back a couple days later.. they told me all of them ran several mags thru it, and no issues..

i take it out on the range and get thru a couple rounds and it fails to feed... well the manager of the range happened to be there and i told him to watch me shoot so i could show him whats going on.. and i get thru a couple rounds and bam it jams up.... well the manager is like well try this with your grip.... and i'm like ok... i get thru 1 mag clean... next mag, i get 3 fail to feed's... after that i was like F- this gun... took it to the local gander mountain and sold it, and a week later picked up a Glock 22.. i ran 3 mags thru it right away with no issue, even tried limp wristing it and still nothing...

Feedback Score
    Wasn't mine but my brother had a Taurus subcompact .45. Don't know the model number cuz I don't mess with Taurus. Tried to tell him before he bought it but he is cheap. That POS couldn't make it through a mag without choking, worst handgun i've ever had the displeasure of shooting. He sold it and bought a glock 19...exactly what I told him to do originally.

Feedback Score
    thats how i felt with the M&P40c , i'm like i should of just bought the Glock 22 from the get go, but nope... i can say that about a couple 9mm handguns i had before i switched everything to Glock ( except my 1911 )

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TactiCool1976 View Post
    Ok, so the counter-part to the " most reliable " thread , what has been the most un-reliable handgun you've ever owned????? lets hear about what you went thru to try to make a handgun work...

For me, it was a M&P 40c ... I bought it from the LGS / range i go to, and at the time i was looking for a 40cal handgun to carry, and they had a barely used M&P40c for 400$ and with my discount ended up costing me like 360$ so i was like F-it..... since i didnt have any 40cal ammo with me, i bought a box and went to the range... and from there i should of known something was up lol

i could fire off a couple shots, but then get a fail to feed completely.... the only way to explain it was the nose of the bullet looked like it was jamming into the feed ramp.. but a slight rack of the slide and it would feed the round into the barrel... and i could fire a couple shots and it would fail to feed again... and repeat lol..

and for about the first 100 to 150 rounds, i was like well maybe it's not broke in.. the slide is tight? recoil spring is tight? even tried new magazines.. so after about 2 months of this, i had the guys at the range / gun store look at the gun and came back a couple days later.. they told me all of them ran several mags thru it, and no issues..

i take it out on the range and get thru a couple rounds and it fails to feed... well the manager of the range happened to be there and i told him to watch me shoot so i could show him whats going on.. and i get thru a couple rounds and bam it jams up.... well the manager is like well try this with your grip.... and i'm like ok... i get thru 1 mag clean... next mag, i get 3 fail to feed's... after that i was like F- this gun... took it to the local gander mountain and sold it, and a week later picked up a Glock 22.. i ran 3 mags thru it right away with no issue, even tried limp wristing it and still nothing...
    My friend had an issue with Winchester White Box on his 9mm 2.0 M&P. I believe it had a 16 pound spring so he bought a 15 pound spring, and I helped his change it out. It helped significantly but he'd still have 1-2 out of every box with an issue. So he experimented with other brands such as Remington, Federal, UMC, Blazer....no issues. Strangest phenomenon. We concluded that the spring weight was too high. One pound less worked.

Replacing a captured spring is a PITA. I had to heat the bolt nut with a solder iron. Then we attached it to my bench vise, compressed the spring, and we were able to loosen and remove it to replace it. It's not like replacing a spring in a 1911, mind you.

---
    I had a Diamondback DB 9. I was so allured by a Micro 9mm single stack. It wasn't as refined as a Glock, but it looked like one. However, the reliability was utterly awful. I, too, thought it was a matter of a break in period. However, every magazine had 3 or four failure to feeds, stovepipes, failure to eject.

My friend made fun of me and said it was great practice in clearing failures. Believe me, I got very good at clearing failures after that experience.

I tried different brands of ammunition, and even tried JHPs. I even tried my defensive rounds such as Hornady Critical Defense. After about 200 rounds, it started to have one or two consecutive magazines of reliability, but then it seemed like the failures were at least 5 rounds per box of 50. Not something I could stake my life upon. I brought it to my gunsmith and he polished the ramp. Seemed to work ok for about 200 rounds but it was still having issues. By round 535, the frame actually cracked.

I took it to my gunsmith, and he sent it back to them. They graciously replaced the frame. When I finally had it back, I tried it out, again. Still had failures. My gunsmith said, "Sell it." So I did. I don't know what poor bastard has it, since I put it on consignment. I didn't want to know.

It was the worst gun I ever had.

I went on the forum that the company had. Turns out there are people who modified their magazines, using Keltec Springs, as well as polished their Ramps. Why the maker never did any changes is beyond me, but I get nervous when I see people handle a Diamondback in a store. Whether it is a DB9, DB380 or their AR 15, I shudder at the fact that they would consider it. Most people don't do enough research. That's too bad.

#diamondback #db9

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Had one of the first S.A. 9mm "Loaded" models.

They'd used a Ti firing pin (guess it was an effort to pass "drop test" without using FP safety) that had an oversized FP tunnel.
    Net result was primer flowback that deposited primer debris (which sheared off into FP tunnel), which resulted in the next round not firing.

Barrel fit was crap; the link used was too long, to give illusion of tight barrel/slide fitment. Accuracy was crap.

MIM hammer/sear/disconnect parts were rough as hell- resulting in atrocious trigger pull.

Slide to frame fit was extremely loose.

Being a "hobbyist", rather than send gun back, I basically rebuilt it. Didn't have much hope of it returning in much better condition.

Replaced barrel and bushing with Kart.
    Replaced FP with over-sized steel pin.
    Had frame welded, lapped slide to frame.
    Replaced hammer/sear/disconnect.
    Installed .090" FO Front Sight.
    Trimmed "Billboard" rear sight blade.
    Had frontstrap checkered 30 LPI.

Good thing I enjoy a "project".

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Years ago I picked up a Walther PK380. For those not familiar, it's a 380, but unlike a lot of them it is a locked breech design and as such it's sprung very lightly, very easy to rack and recoil similar to a 22. My girlfriend at the time was wanting to get in to shooting and the combo of the light forces and great grip made it natural,

The thing was a constant headache. Regardless of the ammo used I had fails to feed, rounds jamming into the feed ramp, fails to eject, and an occasional double feed. Tried every ammo I could find; she shot it, I shot it, others shot it. Sent it back to Walther (a headache in itself) and got it back with more of the same. After a couple hundred rounds it dropped the mag out while firing and the mag broke open.

I sold it cheap with full disclosure. A lot of Walther fans will say "well that's an Umarex gun" which is totally true, but when you slap your name on something you're responsible for it, good or bad. And that one is a definite bad.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Kahr CM40, it was a heaping pile of shit.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    S&W Bodyguard .380
    Battery compartment screw backed out during firing and locked the gun up. Went back to the factory for a fix; sold it shortly thereafter and bought a 642.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Glock 41. I grabbed one when they just came out. Long side .45, it was accurate and fun to shoot...when it wasn't choking. I had about 5-6 FTF per box of ammo and sold it shortly thereafter. Picked up a Gen 3 17 and never looked back.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Kel tec pf9. Basically failed at everything. What a pos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast