Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Load data on 69/75gr TMK's?

Feedback Score

Load data on 69/75gr TMK's?

Currently shooting Markm's H322 load for 77gr bullets. Current rifles shoot the SMK, the Noslers and the Hornady 75's with the same accuracy and the same POA/POI out to at least 400. Got a bunch of the Noslers, so I've bulk loaded them up for my 18" SPRish build.

Thinking of switching over to the 69gr TMK's or possibly the 77gr TMK. The 69gr SMK has shot well in every rifle I have tried it in, so it's tempting to go that route. The 77gr tend to be a little more picky, it seems, although the H322 load shoots well in all barrels I have shot it in.

Wondering what's working best for everyone? Longest shots would be 600-800 yards.

ETA: Should add that these would likely be primarily for my 18" SPR, but would also likely end up as a backup round for my SBR's (behind factory Federal Fusion).
    Last edited by friendlyfireisnt; 08-19-17 at 12:31.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Man… we hand loaded a few hundred of the 77s, but never really developed a preferred load. Frankly, it’s hard to hand load them after shooting the 556 BH factory versions.

If I were going to go into TMK, I’d likely deviate from my extruded powder preference and run a warm TAC load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Man… we hand loaded a few hundred of the 77s, but never really developed a preferred load. Frankly, it’s hard to hand load them after shooting the 556 BH factory versions.

If I were going to go into TMK, I’d likely deviate from my extruded powder preference and run a warm TAC load.
    Can I ask why? Did it not shoot as well with your H322 load? TAC was pretty good for me with 69gr SMK's, and I keep a fair amount around.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfireisnt View Post
    Can I ask why? Did it not shoot as well with your H322 load? TAC was pretty good for me with 69gr SMK's, and I keep a fair amount around.
    If I remember, they shot Ok, just not great. You can get away with H322 and maybe develop a great load. We just didn't see it.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    FWIW the high power shooters at my club are split between Varget and 8028 loads. Past 600 they're using 77-grnrs & hot 8028 compressed loads.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I would be super interested to know what kind of loads MarkM would come up with using TAC. All the rest of his loads have done well for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    If I remember, they shot Ok, just not great. You can get away with H322 and maybe develop a great load. We just didn't see it.

PB
    That's too bad.

Was hoping for an "easy button" loading again.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by friendlyfireisnt View Post
    That's too bad.

Was hoping for an "easy button" loading again.
    Mark pretty much ran his regular 77grain load. Shouldn't require much , if any change. I'll be interested to hear if others can get more accuracy out of the TMK. We got it to shoot a bit flatter, but not more accurate. Still shot well.

We just hoped for better of everything.

XBR is a good powder as well. We have played with it. Seen lot to lot variation so buy a couple pounds at a time.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    My buddy and I have good luck with markm's XBR load and 77gr TMKs. Not as good as his SMK loads, but still pretty good. For 10-shot group averages, I average about 1.5 MOA, but we include even our nastiest called fliers. The bigger compared groups are worth it for us because we're in a very windy area.

For the price though, we will be switching to the 62gr BTHPs since we are 1/4 mile and in for most shooting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I would refer to the mk 262 clone thread and go from there. We didn't get any significant velocity variations between otm and tmk.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast