Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Load data on 69/75gr TMK's?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    I’d like to play around with tac as I know it meters great. But I don’t have the time to develop a new load. I also don’t have the time to weigh every single charge with 8208 so I’m unsure which is the better route!
    I throw 8208 charges individually with a chargemaster as the SD running it through the progressive is usually about double what I get with TAC. Weighed 8208 loads will still give me higher SD than loading TAC on a progressive, but groups are about the same. I have less time and experience with 8208, but I think TAC is what you want if you are chasing speed while 8208 might be a little more stable. I use both, but have a lot more time with TAC.

I do like that Ramshot publishes 5.56 load data. I with that hogdon/IMR would do the same.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    I am using an RCBS and I easily get a +/- 0.1gr variance using it with XBR. Sometimes it is off by 0.2 or 0.3!

In order to get my target of <5 SDs I have to weigh every single charge to within 0.05gr. My process is to use the progressive to get me close, and then I use tweezers to pick up individual particles of XBR to either increase or decrease the charge weight to 23.48 ~ 23.52
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 10-12-17 at 03:54.

Feedback Score
    I am using an RCBS and I easily get a +/- 0.1gr variance using it with XBR. Sometimes it is off by 0.2 or 0.3!

In order to get my target of <5 SDs I have to weigh every single charge to within 0.05gr. My process is to use the progressive to get me close, and then I use tweezers to pick up individual particles of XBR to either increase or decrease the charge weight to 23.48 ~ 23.52
    Tweezers? That's pretty crazy. Try TAC. You'll get better metering than XBR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Euro, I believe you'd have better luck sorting brass by capacity/weight than by trying to control powder charge by 0.05 gr. I'd 0.05 gr makes a difference, you're on the fringe of a node.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostly View Post
    Euro, I believe you'd have better luck sorting brass by capacity/weight than by trying to control powder charge by 0.05 gr. I'd 0.05 gr makes a difference, you're on the fringe of a node.
    No load is worth doing either of those things. I sort off known pieces of 5.56 velocity changing brass like MEN. But the basic FC, R-P, LC, etc. all shoot the same for me and get mixed in together.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Is this with a chargemaster or an RCBS powder measure?

If the chargemaster, buy one of the reducing inserts off ebay or look up the soda straw mod. My chargemaster used to throw about 30-50% of charges with extruded powder too heavy. With the insert, it is 2 or 3 in 50.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Ha! The MACdonald's straw helps. But they out to include a replica chargemaster in the kit that you can smash on the ground whenever that fukker gets on an overcharge streak.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Ha! The MACdonald's straw helps. But they out to include a replica chargemaster in the kit that you can smash on the ground whenever that fukker gets on an overcharge streak.
    Mine was terrible before the insert kit. Larger grained extruded powders like 4064 were the worst, probably half would throw too heavy. Insert kit was the best $17 I've spent.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    It’s a powder measure. I just use it to get me close.

I weigh each case to 0.1, each bullet to 0.1 and each powder charge to 0.05. I was weighing primers but didn’t see any difference.

I load 100 cases at a time and it takes me about 2 weeks to finish. It sucks.

Feedback Score

Load data on 69/75gr TMK's?

It’s a powder measure. I just use it to get me close.

I weigh each case to 0.1, each bullet to 0.1 and each powder charge to 0.05. I was weighing primers but didn’t see any difference.

I load 100 cases at a time and it takes me about 2 weeks to finish. It sucks.
    I don't do anything but use quality dies, a good thrower, and a good process in general and have great results. My 16" BCM SS410 kicks ass out to 1200 yards.

Here's what I do:

Staring with Lake City brass, If irst I resize and deprime with a Redding FL S-type bushing die, allowing the bushing to float. I use a bushing to get 0.005-0.007" of neck tension. I do not crimp the case-mouths.

Then I swage the primer pockets to remove the crimp.

Next, I use an RCBS pocket uniforming tool and a Lyman flash hole deburring tool.

I trim with a three-way tool head. I make sure the mouths are square.

Then my brass is ready for the press. I load full-progressive. I use CCI 450 primers, Tac, and then seat my bullets with a Forster Benchrest seating die.

I weigh about the first ten rounds' powder charge for +/- 0.1 grains. Then after that every tenth round. I use TAC. My powder measure is the factory Hornady Lock'n'load. I did tweak it; polishing the bearing surfaces by hand and lubricating it with powder graphite.

Honestly, if you're weighing brass and 0.05 on your charge to get accuracy, you need a new load...you're on the fringe of a node. When you find a good node in .223, you should be able to be off your powder charge at least 0.2 gr and maintain accuracy.

Beyond that, my brass gets annealed about every forth to fifth firing if I manage to hang on to it that long and don't run into any issues. After initial brass prep, I can knock out 100 rounds in less than 30 mins and keep sub-MOA to the transonic range. Actually managed a few groups on steel at 1100 less 5".

Last edited by ghostly; 10-13-17 at 20:02.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast