Thread: Ammo for FN FIVE-SEVEN

Feedback Score

Ammo for FN FIVE-SEVEN

Ok. I put down a deposit for an FN Five Seven. I have always wanted one, and I would like to know recommendations on ammunition to get.

Purposes: Plinking, Self/Home Defense

I don't care about cost of ammo.

Are there options for reloading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As far as plinking ammo PSA has recently run decent sales on 40gr AE ammo, in about the $15 a box range, which is pretty cheap compared to other places. Better than the $35 a box I have seen elsewhere. I think they may have had sales on some of the FN loadings as well.

As far as SD/HD ammo, you're not likely going to get too many here who will consider most of your commercial offerings to be that great. SG Ammo has had a fair number of various 5.7 loadings that fall into the SD/HD roles, but the restricted stuff, is well restricted and hard to find and pricey. That said, there does appear from what I have seen places doing some work with ammo for the guns, Buffman on youtube has done a number of ballistic gel tests on some of the boutique rounds for the 5.7 which may be of help, but other than that the terminal performance isn't anything most see as that great.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    For HD there was a 50gr or 55gr round (tsx?) that looked good,but I haven't seen proper testing yet.

My brain says stick with 9mm... but I get it. I've always wanted one too for some reason. Probably end up with one eventually. I really want the rounded trigger guard variant.

Make sure you let us know what you choose and why.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    For HD there was a 50gr or 55gr round (tsx?) that looked good,but I haven't seen proper testing yet.

My brain says stick with 9mm... but I get it. I've always wanted one too for some reason. Probably end up with one eventually. I really want the rounded trigger guard variant.

Make sure you let us know what you choose and why.
    I've always wanted one too, not sure why. But I have enough odd ball calibers to deal with; .38 super auto and .30 Carbine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Elite Ammunition specializes in making specialty rounds for the 5.7. Don't know how good they are or which ones are best. That could easily be found out in a 5.7 forum from people who have bought and tested them though.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Palmetto also sells the blue box FN ammo with the OEM hormady blue tipped vmax. I believe it was about 17.99 a box, with free shipping if you bought a case. Not really recommending 5.7 as a defensive gun, but that's one option ammo-wise.

Feedback Score
    It looks like 40gr Vmax is above expansion threshold out of a 5.7. I wonder if it's low enough to not frag and perform half decent? Or maybe a 50gr tsx or a 40-50gr soft point.

Elite ammo is who I was thinking about before. The protector i looks decent, but again, no calibrated gel test that I've seen.