Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Strike Industries "Strike Fighter" Barrel Impressions

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    Be more accurate (wylde vs. 556 Chamber) , at least as durable, not have that stupid grenade launcher cut, and have a better twist rate. I also personally prefer a melonite/nitride finish vs. parked.
    Because Strike Industries has a history of producing quality barrels going back...what, 6 weeks?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Because Strike Industries has a history of producing quality barrels going back...what, 6 weeks?
    Hilarious

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    I'm not calling it a manufacturer defect. It's just the way they're made. 95% of people are probably fine with it. I simply like what I like (and made that very clear in my OP).

Call it OCD or, conversely (and perhaps more accurately), laziness. I want to be able to get away with as little maintenance as possible (I'm a recovering AK guy).
    I understand, and you are the one that has to live with it. However, you may be chasing ghosts. I'm trying to find it, as I'm pretty sure I've seen Faxon convey they do the Nitriding prior to adding the extension and drilling the port. So, if that's something you see as a problem with the SI barrel, you'll be in the same boat with the Faxon.

This is the closest I could find (the thread is really focused on CL barrels). But, I believe the same is true. The extension is mated and the gas port drilled after Nitriding. Otherwise there can be issues with alignmennt, indexing, and proper torque. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...10#post2464910

Regardless, there have been multiple references in this and other forums regarding Nitriding; and that the "right" way is to do the treatment prior to installing the barrel extension and drilling the gas port. Maybe those making the assertions are wrong. Or, maybe things have advanced with manufacturing to where Nitriding prior to the installation and drilling is no longer preferred/necessary.

I can relate to being OCD. It's your money, so if the look bothers you, do what you need to in order to be satisfied. However, I'm failing to see how it's been sufficiently illustrated that this "issue" will impact your ability to do as little maintenance as possible.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    That is kind of funny. Although, their infancy in the barrel market doesn't necessarily mean they'll be junk. I have one of their comps and it's excellent.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They’re on my do not buy list for copying a pivot pin feature I designed back in 2013 and calling it their own. My impression of the outfit is they appear to base many of their OK products on existing designs by others, their own designs are rubbish. That they use the S from a slightly changed Schutzstaffel insignia in their logo is somewhat amusing, even the logo has a part that’s a near copy of someone else’s design lol.
    Last edited by Duffy; 08-20-17 at 17:19.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    They’re on my do not buy list for copying a pivot pin feature I designed back in 2013 and calling it their own. My impression of the outfit is they appear to base many of their OK products on existing designs by others, their own designs are rubbish. That they use the S from a slightly changed Schutzstaffel insignia in their logo is somewhat amusing, even the logo is a copy of someone else’s design lol.
    I won't argue with you on the ingenuity front; or lack thereof. I'm pretty sure the J-Comp I purchased is "based" off of a Comp from another mfg's design. Admittedly, there are only so many ways to design most components. Still, there is a line between legitimate similarities and uninspired cloning.

Did you ever pursue legal action against SI over the pivot pin design?

Regarding the product in question, this thread was the first time I'd heard they got into the barrel game. There's not a lot of info out there, but it seems like they have put some thought and care into the design and construction. They allege to have contracted a 3rd party to do accuracy and full auto testing; with some curiously impressive results. I've not been able to locate anything published by said 3rd party. So, being hearsay at this point, I won't post unsubstantiated details.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They had subsequently changed the design of their pins, i think they were contacted by my former partner about something else, at least they were agreeable, some cloners are outright shameless and quite adversarial in tone and behavior when contacted.

Their J Comp is lifted from the Howa Type 89, I think they disclose that in the product description. It's one of their products I don't think is terrible and was worth copying others for, of course we don't know what Howa thinks of it.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    They had subsequently changed the design of their pins, i think they were contacted by my former partner about something else, at least they were agreeable, some cloners are outright shameless and quite adversarial in tone and behavior when contacted.

Their J Comp is lifted from the Howa Type 89, I think they disclose that in the product description. It's one of their products I don't think is terrible and was worth copying others for, of course we don't know what Howa thinks of it.
    Yep. That's it, the Type 89. Couldn't remember off the top of my head. IIRC, the original comp has been around for a while. So, perhaps it's no longer protected from replication.

I do agree it's somewhat respectable that they elected to change their pin design. There are many instances where those disputes can get pretty ugly. Although, it cuts both ways. Some use intellectual property and trademarks as tools to file frivolous suits against other companies. That guy from A.R.M.S comes to mind. I don't remember all the details, but I remember his name; Dick Swan. Which was a pretty fitting monicker.

-Army Chief

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Dick would sue his mother if she had used the number 17 without permission
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    Dick would sue his mother if she had used the number 17 without permission
    I want to laugh, but he might actually be that big of a...well, Dick.

I will say, Mark LaRue responded to that lawsuit like a boss. And I hate saying, "like a boss".

-Army Chief

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast