Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strike Industries "Strike Fighter" Barrel Impressions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Because Strike Industries has a history of producing quality barrels going back...what, 6 weeks?
    The barrels aren't made "in house". I suspect FN is the forge. I have some other SI stuff and it's all solid.

I like to give new things a try, especially when the specs fit my wants. I'm sure the vast majority of people who buy the Strike Fighter barrel will be happy with them. It just didn't fit my preferences.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post
    The barrels aren't made "in house". I suspect FN is the forge. I have some other SI stuff and it's all solid.

I like to give new things a try, especially when the specs fit my wants. I'm sure the vast majority of people who buy the Strike Fighter barrel will be happy with them. It just didn't fit my preferences.
    According to a rep from Strike Industries, they do not get their barrels from FN. They said they cannot disclose who makes them. But, when asked directly if they came from DD or FN, the rep explicitly stated "neither".

Someone elsewhere suggested they might be from Schmolz-Bickenbac. He may be on to something, as SI does list the material as 416-RS steel. I've seen "R", but never "RS". And, Schmolz-Bickenbac was the only place I came up when searching for 416-RS; with their data sheet specifically stating this form of steel is made for the precision rifle industry.

Even if they do come from Schmolz-Bickenbac, that really doesn't mean much of anything to me. Neither does 416-RS steel. Anyone have experince with either the mfg or material? Do we know of any other companies using 416-RS in their barrels?
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Slight resurrection...

Back when this thread had first surfaced on M4C, I'd found another discussion on Reddit. There, a Rep from Strike Industries conveyed that they'd hired a lab to do some independent testing on their barrels. Today, I happened upon a PDF copy of the associated Results and figured it was worth sharing.

The link above will direct you to the full report, but here's a short summary of the highlights.

Parameters
    -A total of four barrels were used (two 16", and two 10.3")
    -Tests included baseline accuracy with traditional ball ammo, accuracy with a custom load, and accuracy at higher barrel temperatures. Overall service life was also evaluated; shooting FA until malfunction/failure.
    -Groups were fired from a mechanical fixture to factor out potential shooter error/influence.

Findings
    -Baseline accuracy (4 groups of 5 rounds each) was sub-moa for all ammo tested.
    -After firing seven, 30 round, magazines, accuracy testing was again conducted. The average barrel temperature measured was around 725 degrees, but they held sub-moa groups.
    -The barrels were then fed 1-3 full mags on FA, cooled under an air conditioning vent, and the steps were repeated until failure. The 10.3" barrel did not start to keyhole until 70,000 rounds with the described firing schedule. The 16" is still said to be in testing for failure.

Grains of salt and all, the testing indicates SI did well in developing an accurate, reliable and long-lasting barrel.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by js8588 View Post

I don’t think anything is made in house at strike industries, with most of their stuff coming from tiawan.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    How does one be a long time reader of this forum and settle on “Strike Industries” for a barrel?

KDubya, I’m not one to question anyone’s integrity. Maybe they are true, but those studies are meaningless. It’s known quality vs “hey look at this study that shows I know what I’m doing”. Why even bother?

Why do people continue to **** with companies like Strike Industries and other start up barrel manufacturers when Krieger, Noveske, Colt, BCM, DD (if they can stop being lame with their gas port sizing) still exist?
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-07-18 at 08:40.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Why do people continue to **** with companies like Strike Industries and other start up barrel manufacturers when Krieger, Noveske, Colt, BCM, DD (if they can stop being lame with their gas port sizing) still exist?
    Simple: price and high time preference. A lot of people don't look at things and say, "this is a bit more expensive, but it's a low-risk known quantity and I'll just need to save up a month longer to purchase it"; instead, they say, "I need to buy this NOW and I can only afford so much right now, so I'll take a little risk." Much of the market operates this way.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    After reading this thread I wouldn't use them, but I more than likely wouldn't have anyway. Barrels are the heart of the rifle and if I'm going outside my norms it better offer much more than what I use currently. How many of us will ever shoot out a barrel? A few but not many. With several AR's I may not ever shoot out one.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Are their barrels available with 4 color options?
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    As a minor update, I ended up going with a Christensen Arms barrel. Specifically, this one
    https://christensenarms.com/product/...barrel-fluted/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123