Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the gun Savage A-17 is good for deer hunting?

Feedback Score

Is the gun Savage A-17 is good for deer hunting?

So guys can you help me in suggesting a best gun hunting a deer in Florida? I'm thinking to buy Savage A-17! So it this will be enough for high range and also suggest me a best online marketplace for it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Absolutely not, even if it were legal. The 17 HMR is a varmint round.

Feedback Score
    You can hunt hogs with it. Pending shot placement and I wouldn't shoot deer with this caliber. It's actually illegal to hunt deer with this round here in Alabama but hogs are open game. Harvest all the hogs you can.
    Last edited by ManOnFire40; 08-22-17 at 12:34. Reason: Because I can

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am kind of flabbergasted with this question...

I mean, I have heard of shot placement, but a deer? Nah, asking for problems and no ethical hunts. Get a .270 or a .30 cal. SKS, Nagant, or Savage Axis (I think that's the name of the cheaper Savage Rifles) in .308. Even an AR with the right loads would be FAR more effective than a Varmint round. (if legal in your area)

If you're looking to go cheap, than go cheap in the right round. It does only need to let one round fly in an accurate path. But don't go with anything not Center-fire and usually .270 or larger in a rifle cartridge.

Either way, I will be breaking out my 'Gold-Trigger' Early 60's Marlin .30-.30 for my Early Anterless hunt in less than two months. And will be using the same for Buck season in November.

Just easy to lug, Minnesota woods shots are 100yds or less, but almost always brushy. So, I need something that can punch brush and get good terminal ballistics within 100yds. If you're going further, you'll need to adapt the tool to the job.

Not my picture, but pretty close to my rifle, will try and get a picture of my own up today:

Last edited by HeruMew; 08-22-17 at 10:35.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    From my understanding of the size of Florida deer, any of the .223 deer loads combined with proper shot placement should work fine out to 150-200 yards.

While not legal, after using the busted up front half of a deer for target practice with 60gr Nosler Partition handloads, 64gr Winchester Power Points, and South African M1A3 55gr ball at 75 yards, I am quite sure M193 ball would drop most white tail deer as quick as anything else inside of 100 yards.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    From my understanding of the size of Florida deer, any of the .223 deer loads combined with proper shot placement should work fine out to 150-200 yards.

While not legal, after using the busted up front half of a deer for target practice with 60gr Nosler Partition handloads, 64gr Winchester Power Points, and South African M1A3 55gr ball at 75 yards, I am quite sure M193 ball would drop most white tail deer as quick as anything else inside of 100 yards.
    That musta been some messy practice. Haha.

Nonetheless, thanks for sharing your experience, adds a bit of comfort in the "What if I have to one day?" factor.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuelcruz View Post
    So guys can you help me in suggesting a best gun hunting a deer in Florida? I'm thinking to buy Savage A-17! So it this will be enough for high range and also suggest me a best online marketplace for it.
    No doubt the Savage 10, 11, 12 are tack driver and very inexpensive to boot... I won a Savage 112 and sure it was a decent shooter!
    Check out Tikka. They have Pretty darn nice gun for the money!
    Last edited by Prada; 08-27-17 at 08:53.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Just no!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    No way, no how, end of discussion.

Too small, too light, too frangible and too fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast