Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock sight questions (u-notch/idot, etc)

Feedback Score

Glock sight questions (u-notch/idot, etc)

Is it correct to say that no u-notch I-dot rear sight exists for glock(23)?
    I run I dot operator pros on my m&p and want the same setup for my glock.
    Warren tactical looks to be the closest, but not a true u notch, more of a rounded square.

Also, I see different rear sights for 19/17/23/etc, 42/43, and 20/etc.
    Are these different dovetails or just different hights?

Feedback Score
    Here you go, u-notch rear straight 8 set.
    https://www.heinie.com/3185l-heinie-...t-set?___SID=U

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    US ARMY, Retired
    INFANTRY, SNIPER SCHOOL, MACHINE GUN LEADER'S COURSE, COMPANY MASTER GUNNER, UNIT ARMORER, AIR ASSAULT
    OIF DEC 03-FEB 04, SEP 05-SEP 06, SEP 07-NOV 08
    OEF FEB 10-FEB 11

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter. -- Ernest Hemingway

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Warren tactical looks to be the closest, but not a true u notch, more of a rounded square.
    What's difference between a "U" and a "Square Cut" sight notch in terms of performance or precision? Because IIRC what matters is the alignment of the top of the sights and the position of the front sight within the rear cut out itself, not the shape of said cut. Could be wrong. There may be something in my years that has slipped from my mind.

Slides are entirely different sizes and therefore, sights are different sizes. The 20/21 is wider than the 17/19/23, while the 42/43 is a very narrow slide.

As an added recommendation, the AmeriGlo Tritium I-Dot sights are a fine call for an "I-Dot" style sight.
    "SEND IT" happens to be my trigger words...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChoppinFatTony View Post
    Here you go, u-notch rear straight 8 set.
    https://www.heinie.com/3185l-heinie-...t-set?___SID=U

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
    Square, not u-notch, unless I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by _Stormin_ View Post
    What's difference between a "U" and a "Square Cut" sight notch in terms of performance or precision? Because IIRC what matters is the alignment of the top of the sights and the position of the front sight within the rear cut out itself, not the shape of said cut. Could be wrong. There may be something in my years that has slipped from my mind.

Slides are entirely different sizes and therefore, sights are different sizes. The 20/21 is wider than the 17/19/23, while the 42/43 is a very narrow slide.

As an added recommendation, the AmeriGlo Tritium I-Dot sights are a fine call for an "I-Dot" style sight.
    The difference is I like the way the entire sight fits together, visually. Have you measured the performance difference on a timer, in various lighting? What did you find?

Thanks for slide feedback regarding different glocks.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-20-17 at 11:33.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I bought a g19 a while back, it came with what I believe to be the ameriglo's mentioned above. Blackened rear with U notch, bright orange front with tritium center...they are super fast to get on, and I can still manage to shoots decent group slow fire.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I find the Warren flat-bottomed U-notch easier to use than a true rounded bottom U-notch. YMMV.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

These are Warrens, the picture look like a 'U' to me: https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/12...iABEgLET_D_BwE

Glock takes care of the differing sight radius's by altering the height of the rear sight. The aftermarket sights, such as Warren, are sold in sets that match the sight radius. Of course, you can also get differing widths and heights, usually on both front and rear, to match your tastes and POI.

The rear dovetails are the same, the front sight mounts the same.

Glock factory rears come in 4 differing heights 6.1mm - 6.5mm - 6.9mm - 7.3mm. They are marked by dashes, the 6.5 (std for 9/.40/.357/.380) has a long dash; the 6.1 has a long dash with a short dash UNDER it; the 6.9mm (std for 45ACP/10mm) has a long dash with a short dash OVER it; the 7.1 has a long dash with two short dashes OVER it.

Probably more than you wanted to know.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The theory with the 'U' notch rear sights, I've been told, is that the rounded bottom makes it easier to align the dot in the center of the rear sight as the eye naturally aligns/centers the dot, similar to a full aperature sight.

Probably more important, if you want to accurately hit @ 25 are the differing sight radius's.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    With regards to factory sights, the 17-size slide and 21-size slide do use the same width rear sights. You'll notice a lot of dead space on both sides of the 20/21 rear sights. The height (and possibly notch) is just different.

Of course the 42/43 use narrower sights.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the input all. I wanted a round bottom I notch as that's what I've used and like it. I'll price out the warrens vs ameriglo and see if it's worth it.

Edit: related question: where is the stock setup poi at 25yds? Mine seems to be quite high but not sure if it's me or not
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-20-17 at 18:58.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast