Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rather disappointed in omega 9k

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Rather disappointed in omega 9k

The form 4 finally came back for my 9k. I put it on my 9mm AR using a tri lug mount. It is a 4 inch barreled rifle. I am using hand loaded 147g FMJ over 4.3g of WSF. It is so loud that it sounds like there is no suppression at all. The can is rated for 300blk subs and supers as well. I used it on my blackout with 220g subs and it was very quiet, I tried it with 125g blackout supers and it was quiet enough to not need ear pro. With 9mm subs two shots and I needed to put plugs in. Next to me was a guy shooting a 9mm AR with an old SWR can and it sounded like a hand clap.

The only thing I can think of it seems that the bolt is cycling too fast now that the can is on it. THe bolt is coming forward and trapping the spent casing before it ejects out. Is it possible a heavier buffer would keep the bolt forward longer fixing the cycling issue and it make less noise out of the action as well?

I know very little about a pistol caliber carbine action compared to a rifle direct impingement action so what do you guys think?
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim and Personal Protection in the Home
    Full time instructor for Florida Firearms Training
    21 years as USAF Combat Arms Instructor and First Sergeant

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am running a 5" 9mm ar with an Innovative Arms Lex. With 147gr I have no problems without ear pro. Anything lighter and the sound is completely different as the lighter rounds are now going supersonic. Your issue may be gas escaping the chamber because the bolt is not staying closed long enough (hope I am explaining that right). Try upping the buffer weight and/or spring strength. I was originally using a RRR 9mm bolt with a Tubbs flat wire spring. I have since switched to a Spikes 9mm bolt. The Spikes bolt is longer than the RRA, and also heavier. This combined with the Tubbs Spring has been a great combo, for me at least. You may need to experiment with various weight buffer and spring combos to see what your rifle likes best.

Feedback Score
    OP have you tried it on a pistol host? I'm curious about your experience cause I have my eye on one for when I get an MP5 clone as a PDW for home defense.
    If this is your first can I was kinda unimpressed and found them pretty overrated myself but with time, tinkering and 4 cans later, well it's not always plug and play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The 9mm AR/blowback thing is outside of my experience, but I do have an Omega9k. It is not nearby as quiet as my Octane9HD shooting 147 grain through a Glock. It is not nearly as quiet as my Specwar762 shooting 300blk subs or supers. I don't even use it on my pistols anymore. I keep it direct-threaded on a 10.5" 300blk.

What it IS, is short, light, and compact, so much so that I don't even notice it mounted to a 10.5" or 16" barrel, and it suppresess enough to not make my ears bleed when shooting a 10.5" 300blk. I wear earpro when shooting suppressed anyway, the cans are for my neighbors benefit, or for mine when I'm hunting.

Anyway, I think the Omega9k is a really useful suppressor for a ~working~ gun (eg, hunting or defense), where the trade off in decibels is worth the low weight and length. But no, it's not the "check out how cool my super quiet silencer is" suppressor.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    On my blackout shooting subs it is very quiet and you can even hear the projectile smack the berm it is so easy on the ears. This is my 4th can. I have a griffin armament on my 308 bolt gun, an AAC SDN6 on my 5.56 SBR and an AAC cyclone on my 18inch precision type AR. All of those can be shot all day without ears. I even have an old Guardian 9 which I bought as my first can years ago before I learned to not take the guy at the gun counters word on quality and it is quieter but accuracy is crap with it. Im taking it out soon with the chrono and a making sure I am truly subsonic and go from there. May have to leave this can on the blackout permanently and find something a little longer for the 9mm rifle.
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse to Be a Victim and Personal Protection in the Home
    Full time instructor for Florida Firearms Training
    21 years as USAF Combat Arms Instructor and First Sergeant

Feedback Score
    Stand 20' away to the left side of the gun and see how loud it is.
    If it's port noise, I don't think another suppressor will help much.

Feedback Score
    If you're not running a 9mm specific buffer, you're probably getting a lot of gas out of the ejection port. I ended up with a solid steel buffer in mine, which made is sound pretty good, but too heavy.

What have you got for a buffer?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    If you're not running a 9mm specific buffer, you're probably getting a lot of gas out of the ejection port. I ended up with a solid steel buffer in mine, which made is sound pretty good, but too heavy.

What have you got for a buffer?
    I with eodinert of you needing more weight in buffer etc. I'm running a 45 Omega on a 5.5 in barrel and a 8.3 in barrel, both are really good in reduction of sound for me. The 5.5 barrel I'm using a A5 heavy buffer the other is running a (9mm pistol) heavy buffer about 6 oz. I am running direct thread fixed endcap though.
    NRA Life Member.

Feedback Score
    I handload as well. my combination consists of a Wolf XP spring and a Slash heavy buffer(9Q-T) at 10oz's. My can is an Octane9 HD and is very quiet and runs 100%. I would try a heavier buffer to slow it down and prevent port pop. Have you broken any bolt catches?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...93#post2507893

I am using a 10oz buffer that locks back suppressed and not suppressed, although my round count is low to date.

I have not shot it back to back with my MP5K clone, but I think its pretty similar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast