Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ar beater upper

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I get someone getting a POS because they knew no better, but to knowingly buying a POS is beyond my comprehension.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinombg View Post
    would 159.00 upper for my 6920 be worth the money for an extra beater upper. Midlenght 16 in, dust cover, foward assist, a2 front sight and deflector. no bcg and ch.
    Do the math. We're talking $160 for the upper, but how much for shipping, BCG & CH?

Lessee, PSA has a nickel boron BCG and a standard charging handle for $110. That's a complete upper for $270 plus shipping. That's not bad for a blaster upper. It'll need the extractor spring upgraded, but those are cheap. It's a decent price for an upper that's going to be loaned out or abused
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Do the math. We're talking $160 for the upper, but how much for shipping, BCG & CH?

Lessee, PSA has a nickel boron BCG and a standard charging handle for $110. That's a complete upper for $270 plus shipping. That's not bad for a blaster upper. It'll need the extractor spring upgraded, but those are cheap. It's a decent price for an upper that's going to be loaned out or abused
    Alternatively, that's 1500 rounds of cheap steel cased ammo or nearly halfway to another Colt. I have a $280 PSA upper and I can tell you or anyone else that they are a complete waste of time. The damn thing is so over gassed that I run an H2 buffer with Wolf ammo, and this is a mid length gun. You can also reference posts in the thread about my BCG eating through and destroying the gas rings in a few hundred rounds.

Don't waste your time and money with a PSA gun. There is absolutely no reason to do that in this market.

Feedback Score
    Just get another colt 6920 upper or one of similar quality.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by young_gun View Post
    Alternatively, that's 1500 rounds of cheap steel cased ammo or nearly halfway to another Colt. I have a $280 PSA upper and I can tell you or anyone else that they are a complete waste of time. The damn thing is so over gassed that I run an H2 buffer with Wolf ammo, and this is a mid length gun. You can also reference posts in the thread about my BCG eating through and destroying the gas rings in a few hundred rounds.

Don't waste your time and money with a PSA gun. There is absolutely no reason to do that in this market.
    You advise against getting a cheap blaster upper but suggest getting cheap blaster ammo? A cheap carrier may eat gas rings but cheap ammo may blow up your rifle.

A cheap upper may not be the best choice, but it's not catastrophic
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    People get so hard up for buying extra uppers, guns, etc .. I say buy a quality rifle, spare parts, then load up on Ammo, ammo, and more ammo + plus a few training classes.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    You advise against getting a cheap blaster upper but suggest getting cheap blaster ammo? A cheap carrier may eat gas rings but cheap ammo may blow up your rifle.

A cheap upper may not be the best choice, but it's not catastrophic
    I can admit that the chances of a kaboom are higher with the cheap Russian ammo, and it's a personal choice of mine to accept that when I buy/shoot it. That being said, I've never had cheap/crappy ammo hurting my guns, but I have had problems with every PSA component that I've bought. If Russian ammo is off the table for the OP, Federal is still doing a rebate for XM193 and XM855 that brings it down to ~$250 per k shipped. Still cheaper than an upper that will likely give you problems...

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I keep a 10.5 Aero barrelled beater upper for blasting lower quality ammo.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    If you buy the upper, you will buy a lower for it. So buy one your happy to own. Even if it's not the best, YOUR OPINION of it should be acceptable, because uppers stay uppers are a rare bread of uppers for most people.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12