Thread: Lessons Learned: Troubleshooting Shortstroking

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Lessons Learned: Troubleshooting Shortstroking

I broke the restriction screw on a 1st Gen SLR that I had couple thousand trouble-free rounds through on my Wolf Pup, my shorty AR. When I contacted Rifle Works, instead of sending me the replacements parts I requested, they had me send in my old gasblock and sent me a brand new SLR-7 with all the latest improvements. Rifle Works was fast and courteous and answered all my questions promptly. I am very happy with their customer service and how they backed their product.

Trouble is, as soon as I installed the new gasblock, the Wolf Pup started short stroking, even with the gasblock WFO. When I started troubleshooting this problem, I fully expected it to be the new gasblock. The AR didn't start short stroking until the replacement was installed Imagine my surprise to discover the source of the problem was the carrier instead. (I was also relieved because it meant Rifle Works did it right.) Bolt travel in the carrier was gritty leading me to believe the expansion chamber is leaking. It's not the gas rings because the bolt tested in another carrier and it functions perfectly. I do plan to replace the rings as soon as possible, just in case.

I learned and relearned some valuable lessons-
    - When a problem is intermittent, take a moment to figure out why. Intermittent problems can be very confusing because they can come and go during the troubleshooting process. But they are a valuable clue. Intermittent problems are usually due to a part that's failing due to gradual wear. In this case, I though maybe there was a chip stuck in the gasblock, but a quick inspection eliminated that possibility. My second thought was the gasblock was venting too much gas, but as it turns out, that wasn't the case either.

- Take notes. Write out the problem and note step by step what you've done to isolate the problem. This forces the brain to organize the problem and outlines step by step the problem and the troubleshooting process. It also lets you go back and remind yourself what you tried and what the results were. It's also a record of the problem in case it or something similar ever comes up again.

- Make one change at a time. This is of particular importance if the troubleshooting process is taking time and you start to get fatigued or frustrated. Making more than one change at a time will only confuse troubleshooting and muddy the results.

-Visual inspections are not always enough. Always check your findings with a function test. The BCG passed the gas ring test. But it wasn't until double checked my findings with a test firing that it became clear the problem was with the carrier, not the gasblock as I originally thought. Fortunately, I found I could feel grittiness while moving the bolt inside the carrier and investigated this further. This helped me narrow the problem down the the carrier.

- Be thorough and assume nothing. The first thing I did was replace the SLR-7 with a gasblock I knew worked. Once I had narrowed the problem down to the carrier, I re-installed the SLR-7 and tested it with the suspect carrier. The AR shortstroked. I tested the SLR-7 with a good carrier and the problem was eliminated.

- Listen to hunches. At the start, I had a thought to test the upper with another BCG. But I was too focused on the SLR-7 as a potential problem, then got distracted with other anomalies. The carbine action spring was an inch longer than my other carbine action springs. The hammer in the lower was harder to reset than the hammer in other lowers. If I had followed my hunch and replaced the BCG, I would have saved time and rounds in test firing. The upside is, I eliminated the anomalies as the source of my problem and I gained knowledge.

- Good spare parts are worth their weight in gold. If I didn't have a spare BCG that I knew was good, my AR would still be down.

- The lockback test is an essential tool in troubleshooting. It immediately identified the problem as short stroking. The lockback made it possible to isolate the actual cause of the shortstroking as each change was made.

The solution to the short stroking problem in the Wolf Pup was s simple one. It took some work to perform a thorough troubleshooting from changing parts and coming across anomalies I had no experience with, but I'm satisfied that I have, with certainty, isolated the problem to the carrier and was able to fix it.

There are many who will tell you how easy it is to build an AR, that they snap together as easy as Legos. I have been guilty of the same thing. But, as simple as an AR is, it still continues to surprise me
    Last edited by MistWolf; 08-20-17 at 20:44.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post

Make one change at a time. This is of particular importance if the troubleshooting process is taking time and you start to get fatigued or frustrated. Making more than one change at a time will only confuse troubleshooting and muddy the results.
    If I had to pick only one of your recommendations this ^^^^ would be it. Yet not only when troubleshooting. If at all possible, making one change at a time when upgrading a working rifle/carbine is also worthwhile. Again, this might not possible in all circumstances. It also isn't that important when dealing with parts that don't impact the function of the system. But taking it one upgrade at a time can save shooters a headache down the road. When I add a new component, I want to know how it specifically alters my rifle.

Back to the troubleshooting. Tinkering with a couple things at once may appear to solve the problem, but it doesn't really identify the issue, and may only cover up the problem. So, one can walk away with a false sense of confidence. Thinking the correction has been made, but really just putting a bandaid on the real issue.

People say segregation is a bad thing. When it comes to troublesome firearms, I have to disagree
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    Good reminder, written like a true engineer - I wish more people worked using that same advise as their foundation. Also, knowing or being able to figure out how the parts work together is imperative.

So what was the issue with the carrier?
    Last edited by MegademiC; 08-20-17 at 21:05.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think the expansion chamber leaks. The surface felt rough when moving the bolt in and out. I put the same bolt in another carrier and it fixed the problem
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    - Good spare parts are worth their weight in gold. If I didn't have a spare BCG that I knew was good, my AR would still be down.
    Everyone should have a spare BCG that is function tested.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    great write up and some good info in there

i just had a similar situation with a buddy's rifle , an ar10b. he switched from a fixed to an adjustable stock to shorten the lop when wearing a pc.

he took it to the range a couple of times after the stock swap and the gun was acting up and he had a couple of pretty good jams that took some effort to clear.

so i go with him to the range on his next trip and sure enough the gun is short stroking. i automatically presume it's something with the buffer system he just swapped out. i know all the parts were correct for his gun as i sourced them out for him. i spent an hour trying out different buffers and springs and even another lower with not much success , even with 4 different kinds of ammo and known good mags.

took the gun home and started to take the upper apart for inspection and find a loose gas key. he said the gun was running fine until he swapped out the stocks and that he had just cleaned and lubed the gun before taking it to the range. after shooting the gun and seeing the symptoms i should have went with my instinct and started looking at the gas system instead of the buffer assembly he had just installed.

- Be thorough and assume nothing
    - Listen to hunches

/\ with this gun these 2 keys would have saved me an hour of time and a few boxes of ammo just changing parts that shouldn't need to be changed.

also as has been noted having known good spares is essential

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Yep. I am amazed at the amount of people who do not have spare parts on hand to conduct basic troubleshooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd.K View Post
    Everyone should have a spare BCG that is function tested.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Agree with Igunz... and the best proven spare parts bin for testing materials is a 2nd proven rifle :-)
    "First gett'n shot, then gett'n married... baaaad habits"

"If you're gonna subscribe to hero worship, at least worship a real hero."
    M4Guru

Gal 2:20

Feedback Score
    Good post. I have spare parts for every firearm I own. When I mention this people either laugh or say "my spare parts turn into spare rifles." When their rifle goes down I laugh.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Sticky worthy perhaps, hint.....��
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.