Thread: Federal 5.56x45 FMJ: Why are some primers crimped and others not?

Feedback Score

Federal 5.56x45 FMJ: Why are some primers crimped and others not?

I bought 3,000rds of Federal 5.56x45 55gr FMJ. The cases are headstamped LC, 17 with the NATO cross. It came in these boxes.

I was cutting the UPC's off of the boxes to get the $0.05/rd rebate and noticed that some of the primers in the same boxes are crimped and others are not. The same lot number is on every 20rd box.

Any idea why some primers would be crimped and others wouldn't be?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Because federal is literally shit ammo. After shooting thousands of rounds of different mfgs version of M193 like Federal, PMC, PPU, CBC ect, federal is by far the worst. Ive had more dead primers with federal XMbullshit than all the other brands combined. Im not even going to mention the problems with federal independence ammo, though I hear its a good way to HPT your bolt...
    Last edited by vicious_cb; 08-21-17 at 02:06.

Feedback Score
    Haha "military grade".
    Honestly I've always had good experience with the black box stuff, and federal makes some of the best defensive ammo out there. It's disappointing to see that on their low end stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Various rounds that didn't meet a spec, so they were gathered and packaged thusly.

Give Federal a call, too.

https://www.federalpremium.com/company/faq.aspx

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH A SHELL – WHAT DO I DO?

For ammunition questions please call (800) 379-1732 and ask to speak with Federal Premium Product Services team member. Representatives are available between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday.
    I'D LIKE TO TALK TO A FEDERAL PREMIUM AMMUNITION REPRESENTATIVE. WHEN SHOULD I CALL?

Representatives are available to answer your calls between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. CT Monday through Friday. We recently launched an improved phone system that ensures you speak with a live agent.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    From your picture it looks like some rounds have a traditional primer crimp and the others have four stake marks - as a crimp? I've never seen that on 5.56 before, but that appears to be what it is. Can you examine and take a picture or two of fired cases?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    In that picture all the primers are crimped. Two different crimp styles.

Now as for why in the same box much less the same lot, I don't know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MQ105 View Post
    Can you examine and take a picture or two of fired cases?
    I'm not going to fire any yet. I have some older .56x45 to work though. I just bought this because of the rebate. It ended up being $246.30 per 1000rds after the rebate, so I couldn't pass it up.

Feedback Score
    All primers in that picture are crimped. I don't know why two different crimps would be used in the same case of ammo. I also agree that there are several better manufacturers of m193 ammo than Federal. CBC, Magtech, Prvi, MEN come to mind.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    The current method is a 4 way stake on the primers.

From all the ammo that we have used/tested (Excluding legacy M855), this is the current method of "crimping" primers.