Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ithaca shotguns

Feedback Score

Ithaca shotguns

This particular brand is kind of an "also ran" behind Remington, Mossberg, Benelli, etc. It's still in production and (IIRC) is the longest in-production shotgun design in history - since 1937. A lot of hunters still swear by the Ithaca 37 and it's still made in the Defense model (5 or 8 round). The bottom eject feature is seen as a plus by many.

I wouldn't imagine that you'd see many Ithacas at three-gun matches and I don't know how it would hold up to extended, high round count sessions. It did seem to do OK in police and military service over the decades.

Any Ithaca fans (or enemies)?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a Model 37 Featherweight. It is 1960's vintage and has an untold high round count (think >5k at a minimum). It has worked 100% and is an incredibly smooth and fast action.

The one problem is that they are not particularly easy to take apart for maintenance.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    If I recall correctly, didn't NYPD use Ithaca 37's for years?

I believe the Stakeout Unit, including the late Jim Cirillo (rest his soul) used the Ithaca 37 as well. I know we have some NYPD officers here, they could possibly shed additional light.

Feedback Score
    I think the Ithaca was LAPD's official shotgun for many years (?)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Love mine...

Now, if I could find a side saddle for it that isn't held on by Velcro... I'd be set. NP3+ doesn't really let things stick to it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    If I recall correctly, didn't NYPD use Ithaca 37's for years?

I believe the Stakeout Unit, including the late Jim Cirillo (rest his soul) used the Ithaca 37 as well. I know we have some NYPD officers here, they could possibly shed additional light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    I think the Ithaca was LAPD's official shotgun for many years (?)
    Correct on both counts.

Jim (Cirillo) was armed with his issue Smith & Wesson M10 4-inch barrel .38 Special revolver, but he also used a matching gun as one of his back-ups, which included his personally owned Colt Cobra .38 Special 2-inch barrel and Walther PPK in .32 ACP. He was also armed with either of two types of 12-gauge shotguns – a short, double-barrel Savage or a short-barrel Ithaca Model 37

http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-...takeout-squad/

The Ithaca Model 37 riot gun was never as popular for police use as the Remington 870, but it did have some notable users. It was the standard shotgun of the LAPD for many years in what is usually referred to as the “LAPD Configuration.” These Ithacas had 18- or 20-inch barrels, though I’ve been told at least some for detectives had 14- or 16-inch barrels. Generally, LAPD 37s did not have the full-length, eight-round magazine tube but the shorter four-round magazine. LAPD Model 37s also had rifle sights.

Based on the few conversations I’ve had with LAPD officers who used the Model 37, they always liked the shotgun........

http://www.tactical-life.com/firearm...16-ithaca-lead

Both the LAPD and the LASD have used the Ithaca 37 / 87 as our primary patrol shotgun for the last 60 + years... The only reason we switched to the Remington 870 is that Ithaca Gun Company went out of business and we couldn't buy any more spare parts...

About three or four years ago we started phasing out the 37s / 87s in all of our patrol divisions and replacing them with 870s, although there are still some floating around in traffic divisions and other places... We gave most of our 37s and the remaining spare parts in our inventory to the LASD who limped along with them for a few years, but now they need a solution too, and they, like us, chose the 870 Police with rifle sights as their primary duty shotgun.

https://www.m4carbine.net/archive/in...p/t-16449.html

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I keep a m37 at the ranch.

It is rides in the Ranger or truck, loaded with 00 Buck, in addition to whatever scoped long gun I have along.
    My m37 beater is also a '60's era production, always goes bang, see's minimal maintenance and is one hell of a persuader.
    We tend to see a LOT of trespassers and poachers. In addition our county is, or was, a top "Meth" producer, which comes with it's own set of problems.

The lack of a disconnector is fun with someone that has never shot a m97/m37.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    The lack of a disconnector is fun with someone that has never shot a m97/m37.
    Ahhh, one of the early models. I have 2, 1 with and 1 without the disconnector. Personally I just think the machining is amazing. Recall their ads? They started out with a 7-pound block of steel to make the receiver.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Yep.

The days of finely milled/finished, forged steel parts- are pretty much history (excluding some of the best grade, big bucks, sidelocks; Brit/German/Spanish SXS's).
    The m37's/m97's/m12's are something to marvel at.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast