Thread: Building a Howa barreled action up, is the juice worth the squeeze

Feedback Score

Building a Howa barreled action up, is the juice worth the squeeze

Sirs,

Been budgeting and planning a long range precision rifle build for a while now, and have plans to finish the project by year's end. Brownells just put a .308 barreled Howa action up for a pretty decent price, and it got me to thinking.

Typically, I look at two particular states for a firearm project: stock configuration, and end-state. End-state being after all of the tinkering and crying is done, and the goodies are locktited down, and you have a bin of extra parts from figuring out what doesn't work. The goal is to either buy in at the stock configuration that requires the least amount of work (in this case, a Tikka T3 base rifle, largely left untouched but for a set of scope rings and an optic), or to try and determine what the end-state gadget is going to look like (a Remington 700 on a magpul hunter stock with a trigger and a trued action and all of the other nonsense that folks dump money into).

The particular end-state in question is a chassis built rifle, utilizing the Howa barreled action. There seem to be some really good advantages to doing this. Modularity on the fore-end, AICS magazine usage, adjustable length of pull and comb height, and purported increases in accuracy from a properly bedded rifle.

My goal is to get a platform to shoot from 400-800m, and beyond if possible, accurately and with good repeatability, without having to take out a second mortgage. The rifle itself, starting with a Tikka, is going to cost me $600-1200, so $1200 describes the upper limits of my budget and the outer reaches of my sanity.

The chassis would ideally allow for adjustable LoP, comb height, use AICS mags, easily mount a bipod, and be light / practical / not look like a space gun.

What chassis should a fella be looking at, were a fella into spending gobs of money on such a toy? There appears to be quite a range available, and most of them look like either over-built, over-gadgetted competition sleds or things that might burn my fingers if I don't have an appropriately tactical beard, a brace of ears from my slain foes that I wear about my neck, expensive salomon boots, and several grand invested in arm tats.

I am a true novice at this, so a basic headcheck is in order. Is the juice worth the squeeze, and if so, where should I start.

Thanks, fellas.
    Last edited by noonesshowmonkey; 08-21-17 at 16:55. Reason: grammar / usage

Feedback Score
    Have 2 howa's. 30-06 and .223.

Both shoot sub moa with black hills or handloads.

I have 2 pairs of Salomon boots.

Both the boots and the howa's do very well.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    Have 2 howa's. 30-06 and .223.

Both shoot sub moa with black hills or handloads.

I have 2 pairs of Salomon boots.

Both the boots and the howa's do very well.
    My salomons are hands down my favorite walking leathers.

Did you build up your howa from a chassis?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    I shoot off of a Howa 1500 action as well. I don't believe you'll see a difference in accuracy between and bedded traditional stock or a chassis. The better modularity of the chassis and the ease of installation make it a no brainer. Howa also has excellent factory barrels.

Take a good hard looks at MDT's chassis'. That's all I'll use for a long time. Excellent product with excellent customer service.

Last edited by Rekkr870; 08-21-17 at 18:36.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    Uh, why not just buy a Howa HCR or even an RPR if you want a chassis?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    Uh, why not just buy a Howa HCR or even an RPR if you want a chassis?
    I think you just restated the main question of the thread, put another way.

Feedback Score
    the heavy 1500 action (at least in my 308 experience) assuming you get a good one, much like any other high end factory rifle. generally can't be economically improved upon. I have a stock 1500 action and it shoots sub half moa w 178s at 1000yards all day. if you want ultimate accuracy it really comes down to load development and EXTREME care in monitoring all variables, barrel fouling condition, temp of ammo temp of chamber:barrel hand sorting by promo weights, then sorting by lengths, etc etc.

I wanted to get the HCR in 6.5 but couldn't find one available online. Bought the savage instead.

I have had many sub 1200$ rifles shoot better than a majority of peoples custom rifles costing 3x.

Id get the HCR or 10ba stealth (oh wait I did haha) and put on some KF rings and 0moa base, night force SHV 4-14x50 ffp scope, harris bipod, morse industries bipod spikes/tilt control lever, and since you don't sound like a nancy, save the money you woulda spent on a muzzle brake and put it towards PREMIUM reloading kit.
    Last edited by GunsCarsBikesCigars; 08-25-17 at 13:33.
    www.instagram.com/GunsCarsBikesCigars

Sig Tango 6 FFL 5.56/7.62 moa 1-6x24 FOR SALE PM ME**