Thread: Two Pistol Tips that helped me out

Feedback Score

Two Pistol Tips that helped me out

So I recently went to the range and employed two tips that really helped improve my follow up shots with my pistol.

Tip #1: Make sure your gripping with your pinky finger.

I've read a bunch of stuff that focuses on grip and nothing really ever helped control the recoil of the pistol. It always came up and broke my grip down. This meant follow up shots took a long time and my grip always shifted. I heard someone suggest that people overlook the pinky finger in controlling recoil. Practically it makes sense but I've realized that I've always focused on the middle two fingers and not the pinky. I took a normal shot and I had way less pressure on the pinky than the other fingers. I focused on gripping with the pinky while not letting up with the other parts of my hand and suddenly the pistol wasn't jumping up like it used to. The sights settled back on target. It was a little change but man did that make a big difference. Now I just need to drill it into my subconscious.

Tip #2 Rotate my head slightly to put my dominate eye behind the sights more.

This one came via John McPhee on Facebook. He was talking about people with a more neutral eye dominance. This is where your eyes aren't completely set on which is dominate or one is only slightly dominate. He suggested (as I understood it) that you rotate your head slightly just slightly to put your "dominate" eye behind the sights more so your two eyes won't fight for dominance. I tried this and I got a clearer sight picture than I've ever gotten with pistol sights besides closing one eye.

If I can drill these two tip until I do them both without thinking, I think I will really improve my shooting. They are really little adjustments but they made a big difference for me anyways. I feel stupid that it took so long to figure them out. Any downsides to either of these that anyone can point out?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's the little things that make a difference. Add up the little things and it makes a big difference.

Thanks for sharing what worked for you.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    That head rotation tip is great for cross eye dominant folks. I firmly believe that those folks you see that are terrible shots on the range have this problem and could easily fix it with that head rotation tip. SOB is a smart SOB lol.
    Crossfit Level 1 Coach, Former Marine Officer, Current Police Officer

Owner of Tier Three Tactical

Feedback Score
    Good stuff. While learning the glock trigger, I rediscovered grip necessity. You gotta squeeze hard to get max accuracy. It halved my group size. You already touched on the follow up side of things.

I think I do the head thing inadvertently. I get on target faster slightly bladed, maybe that's why?