Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Velocity, bullet construction, shorter barrel: what is important in an AR?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Velocity, bullet construction, shorter barrel: what is important in an AR?

I've read topics on this forum consistently for a few years now. The consensus seems to be go for a 16" barrel at the longest. It seems like an 18" offers a pretty solid velocity gain, potentially a rifle length gas system, and not too much longer than a 16. You can even put a standard A2 flash hider on it versus a long surefire suppressor brake/mount, keeping it just a little bit shorter. It's quite a bit longer than a 14.5 and especially so compared to a 10.3 XD but I am not clearing rooms and how many of us are?

If I have a goal for this rant it would be to get BCM to make an 18" hammer forged barrel. And other manufacturers to make a rail for a longer barrel, or more options like a KAC FF RAS behind a FSP. I get that 11.5's with suppressors are cool now, but other than the A2 stock, I think the M16A4 is a pretty solid rifle that gets bullets moving quick, sort of the point of the .224 caliber bullet.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Get a chronograph and check the difference between the 16" and the 18". Why do you need a hammer forged barrel? There are plenty of 15" rails that work just fine with the 18" barrel.

IMG_20170802_025937871.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    I've read topics on this forum consistently for a few years now. The consensus seems to be go for a 16" barrel at the longest. It seems like an 18" offers a pretty solid velocity gain, potentially a rifle length gas system, and not too much longer than a 16. You can even put a standard A2 flash hider on it versus a long surefire suppressor brake/mount, keeping it just a little bit shorter. It's quite a bit longer than a 14.5 and especially so compared to a 10.3 XD but I am not clearing rooms and how many of us are?

If I have a goal for this rant it would be to get BCM to make an 18" hammer forged barrel. And other manufacturers to make a rail for a longer barrel, or more options like a KAC FF RAS behind a FSP. I get that 11.5's with suppressors are cool now, but other than the A2 stock, I think the M16A4 is a pretty solid rifle that gets bullets moving quick, sort of the point of the .224 caliber bullet.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I think the reason BCM doesn't make a 18" HF barrel is because there isn't a strong market for one. When most people go for a 18" barrel they usually are looking for increased accuracy as well. I think most barrel makers go to SS for 18" to satisfy the people looking for finer accuracy and longer range shooting.

I just don't see that many 18" barrels at the range. I think most folks would rather have a shorter barrel. More velocity is great for longer range shooting, but my guess is that many buy their rifles for home defense or shooting inside 300 yards. 18" barrels are not necessary for these distances. JMHO

There are plenty of long rails.
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 08-22-17 at 03:04.

Feedback Score
    18" you trade length weight and balance for velocity. What does velocity actually give you?

Also, doesn't Daniel defense offer an 18" s2w?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    [QUOTE=Cokie;2526773]If I have a goal for this rant it would be to get BCM to make an 18" hammer forged barrel. /QUOTE]

If BCM has a hammer forge it would surprise me. I believe they source them from somewhere. I've heard FN, I've heard Ruger, I've heard Colt Canada.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's quite a bit longer than a 14.5 and especially so compared to a 10.3 XD but I am not clearing rooms and how many of us are?
    What are you doing with your AR? Do you not have a home to defend? Most of us are just target shooting but who the hell cares how fast that round is moving when it hits steel/paper. I feel like a lot of people build their defensive rifles with more of a "war" mindset than a defensive mindset. IME, 10.3-11.5" rifles are a lot better at defending your personal space (home, vehicle, property) than longer ARs, and can still reach out to 400m or so effectively. The military moved from the .308 to the 5.56 not because they thought that the extra velocity would make it just as effective as the .308, but rather they found that most soldiers wouldn't engage a target until it was within 200y and the .308 was unnecessary at the engagement distances that were commonly reported. You have to be the judge of the terrain you live in but if you want to talk effectiveness on a real target, you have to be realistic about the scenarios that you will face in a real defensive encounter. I can't speak for everyone, but for me the shorter barrel and slower velocity doesn't make me lose any sleep at night.
    Last edited by midSCarolina; 08-22-17 at 10:41.
    "The machine doesn't make the man, the man makes the machine" - Gucci

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cokie View Post
    but I am not clearing rooms and how many of us are?
    All of us who plan on using an AR for home denfense. I know if I hear a bump in the night I'm going to be clearing rooms in my home. Shorter the better. I personally believe the place I will most likely ever need to use deadly force is in my home.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    18" you trade length weight and balance for velocity. What does velocity actually give you?

Also, doesn't Daniel defense offer an 18" s2w?
    Yes, in both rifle and mid length.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    Yes, in both rifle and mid length.

NYH1.
    That sucker would be a boat anchor... Although, it might last for 5 generations. I just don't see the point of an 18 for HD. 18 for hunting maybe, and precision shooting. 3 Gunners might use them, but weight is a factor in 3G. IDK, I guess everyone has their own ideas.

Feedback Score
    Faxon makes an 18" Gunner, which is nice and light.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast