Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What binoculars hit the sweet spot in terms of price and quality?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I have a set of the Vortex Viper HD 10X50's and love them. I obsessively tested every set of 10X42's and 10X50's my lcoal Cabela's had in stock and the only ones to outperform the Vortex for my eyes at around dusk were Swarovski, Zeiss, and Leica all of which were over $2K more than the Vortex.

My wife loves birding and she has pretty much appropriated them for her own use. I have to beg to use my own damn binoculars instead of her old pair.
    That's a pretty good endorsement there. I am far from an optics expert but from everything I have read you get what you pay for, unfortunately for me those Swarovski, Zeiss, etc are definitely outside my price range for scouting out some white tails.

Feedback Score
    Are there any that have a ranging reticle etched into the glass? I know some Steiners do, but they're $$$ generally

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have to agree with Coal Dragger: Vortex Viper line.

For your stated purpose an 8x32 or 8x42 would work well. I looked at several models and was impressed with the Vortex brand.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category..._hd_binoculars

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by indianajonze View Post
    Are there any that have a ranging reticle etched into the glass? I know some Steiners do, but they're $$$ generally

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    I know swfa was making a pair like that

Sent from my Z797C using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree that Vortex, and Nikon offer good values in quality binos. About 20 or so years ago, on a whim, I bought a pair of IOR/Valdada 10x50 military binoculars. They were not yet known yet in the U.S. as they are made in Romania (former Combloc) so we couldn't get them until the early 90's. I didn't pay much for them but they are very high quality. These are too heavy for carrying when hunting, but they do make lighter, smaller binos. They are more expensive now however.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skywalkrNCSU View Post
    I am looking to get a set of binoculars for this upcoming hunting season and while I am well aware that with optics you get what you pay for I am looking for that sweet spot of price and performance. I don't hunt out west and the furthest distance I can see is about 500-600 yards where the typically distance is under 300 yards. For that reason I was thinking of going with 8x so I could free hand easily.

My default when it comes to scopes is the Vortex Viper line since they seem to be a good value and a good product overall. For binoculars does this hold true? Any ones you would go with over the Vortex Viper line? They run around $500 so I'd like to keep it in that ballpark unless it is really worth spending more.
    I like smart binoculars from ATN, the price is even less that 500$ ( 479$ to be more precise, here they are https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-binocular ). I like ATN smart optics, it is user friendly and gets updated every time.

Feedback Score
    Several optic review sites I've seen have been very pleased with the Hawke Frontier ED 8x43.

Aside from those, I was always looking at the Vortex Viper 8x42 and Zeiss Terra ED 8x42. If I was going for a stretch, I'd probably spring for the Trijicon 8x42.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12