Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new Colt 6951 bolt catch jams in closed position

Feedback Score

Brand new Colt 6951 bolt catch jams in closed position

I bought a brand new Colt 6951 flat top last week, and took it to the range today. The goal is to use this for competition. Immediately cleaned and lubed per spec. I brought my 1995 era fixed carry handle AR to compare. Goal today was to simply sight it in at 25yrds, then out to 50 as that's the max range for steel challenge, etc. Used Winchester 115g FMJ NATO.

Ran 45 rounds through the older Colt, using the old original Colt mag, the new Colt mag, and one from Metalform (15 rounds each). Ate them up and dead accurate at 25, about 3-4" groups or tighter at times at 50. Used a Strikefire red dot on top of the carry handle.

New 9mm gun has Nikon red dot (the new Blackforce 1000). Same magazine setup. Ran the old Colt mag, then the new one. Had a misfeed on the last round on the new magazine. Cleared it, reloaded the magazine, and fired off all 15 rounds. No bolt hold back, and it's STUCK against the lower. Can't move it at all. I ensure the gun is clear, pull the rear takedown to open it up, try manually moving the BHO, nothing works. Get a can of remington spray oil, small amount in there, I'm able to jiggle and it comes free. Put it back together, pull and lock charging handle several times to ensure it works, then start with MetalForm. Shot all round, then locked up again. Repeated above for each remaining 2 magazines. It will NOT lock open after the last round, and it is JAMMED against the lower and needs immediate lubrication. Stumped.

Earlier thread on my Colt 6450 indicated the BHO was a weak link on the older model. Same with the new model? What are your thoughts on approach? I've never disassembled a lower, but I'm not afraid to. BUT, should I just return to factory (apparently shipping is at MY expense) for analysis and repair, take to a local armorer, or say eff it and just get in and replace things myself?

Thanks in advance.

John

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I would mail back to colt and make them pay for shipping... call back and talk to another CS rep !

Feedback Score
    Actually, i did just that and am waiting for the pre paid postage label to arrive. Guess it all depends on who you talk to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Mailed back to Colt and not even in their system for repair a week after receipt. Tbis is going to be a while...

Feedback Score
    Well, it's not what I wanted to hear. After two weeks in their hands, my rifle was finally entered in the system as received, and was told that "after being evaluated, it would take 30-45 days turnaround for a warranty repair, and 3-4 months for a paid repair". Sorry, I can't wait that long for a new rifle purchase repair. I've asked them to send me back the rifle immediately, and once I get it back, will handle the repair on my own. If there is a significant issue with it, I'll write the cost off as a lesson learned and never buy Colt again.

Historically I have loved their rifles but this new level of customer support and expected turnaround is extremely disappointing. I should have waited and bought the Windham Weaponry 9mm new release...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I just went thru the same event.
    Bought 6951 on 6.10 and last week shot first match without problems.
    Based on my rifle colt is fully aware of the issues and the fix.
    I've got a few guesses as to the specific problem but colt never gave me a confirmation.
    My sggestion is let colt fix it.
    Before returning the colt I took it it to two national gun smith names and they could not get the rifle to go more than 15 rounds.
    Irma knocked out my Internet and it is difficult to work on a phone.
    Wait a few days and pm or em any questions.
    Jon

Feedback Score
    I hear you but i am prepared to eat the grand i spent. While i asked them to send it back unrepaired, i am not confident i will get it back anytime soon. And good luck to you recovering down there.

Feedback Score
    I ran into the same problem with the bolt catch on my 6951. I called Colt and was emailed an RMA and prepaid FedEx label. I gave them the 10 business days they said on the RMA to allow for evaluation after they recieved it.

For whatever reason my rifle had not been evaluated yet. The fellow I spoke with took my number and said he will go over to the shop first thing tomorrow and check on it personally.

He explained that most of the time a bent or broken bolt catch is the result of an out of spec slot or pin hole for the catch. In the past they've sent out just the catch to the customer and that doesn't fix it. In the end the rifle gets shipped back for evaluation and repair anyway.

I made mention that I had bought the rifle with the intention of competing in USPSA PCC matches. That definitely got his attention and the tone in his voice seemed to have a little more motivation. We shall see what tomorrow holds.

Feedback Score
    An out of spec slot or pin hole sounds about right, which is frankly worrisome given the bolt catch issues the Colt 9mm appears to exhibit over the years.

I was told by CS that he'd inform the shipping department on Monday to send it back unrepaired, and I have yet to receive the email indicating it's on the way back. Like I said, I'm prepared to take this as a very expensive lesson learned and move on. I'm already shopping for a new rifle to handle dual range and USPSA PCC duty, and if I don't hear from or receive my rifle by month's end, I'm just letting it wash. I don't have the $$$ or energy to chase this down. Windham Weaponry just released a new model, and while it's unproven, their CS is really very good.

In the meantime I have my older Colt 6450, and it's already demonstrated it can substitute for now.

Thanks for the feedback. While it's good to know I'm not the only one with this issue, it's sad that build quality does not appear to be what it once was.

Feedback Score
    Just got a notice my unrepaired rifle is arriving at home tomorrow. I'll disassemble, replace bolt catch, spring and plunger, and test. If it still a problem, I'll replace the buffer spring and buffer. If it's still a problem it goes to the local armorer. if it's still a problem I'll buy a Windham Weaponry 9mm carbine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast