Thread: Hydraulic buffer vs others for PCC

Feedback Score

Cool Hydraulic buffer vs others for PCC

I have a RRA 16" custom 9mm carbine. It's a lot of fun to shoot, but I was disappointed in the recoil and muzzle rise. (I compete in USPSA PCC and steel challenge.) It was partially my mistake in not understanding the direct blow back system. So the first thing I did was...

- Get a compensator. (It did very little, but it did do some.)
    The next thing I did (to a small degree) and plan on doing is...
    - Experimenting with light hand loads with a lighter buffer (RRA buffer is 5 and a half ounces) light loads with OEM buffer makes for a slow/sluggish bolt)
    - Experimenting with heavy hand load with a heavy buffer (violent slam of bolt in the tube with hot loads and OEM buffer) heavy hand loads would allow me to reach out a little further in distance and not have so much bullet drop.
    I also did the...
    - Added quarters to the back of the buffer tube to remove bcg excessive travel. It did help.
    So for my main question...
    Does anyone have any real world experience or 2nd hand experience with the hydraulic buffer or aktive buffer from Blitzkrieg (https://www.blitzkriegcomponents.com...s.asp?Cat=1823)
    or
    the adjustable buffer system from Taacom?
    (https://taccom3g.com/product/taccom-...buffer-system/)
    or
    should I just experiment with different buffer weights for my PCC?

* All three buffers are expensive, but if they truly make a noticeable difference than I'm willing to spend the money.

Thanks for your feedback! At the moment, I'm really leaning towards the hydraulic buffer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Go with a 7.5 oz dedicated buffer and use an 308 carbine spring on the cheap. Will take care of most of the felt recoil. On the spendy side is JP's silent capture for the 9mm, make sure to get the Gen 2 version !

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm testing a 9QT heavy buffer and a Blitzkrieg right now. Both of these are way better than the JP 9MM SCS. When I was using the SCS the gun felt like it was beating it self to death, especially when the bolt would slam forward.

My completely un-scientific results.

First test is done.
    JP SCS vs 9Q-T w/Wolf XP spring
    Huge improvement with the 9Q-T buffer over the SCS. It's a much smoother and much softer shooter now.

Second test is done.
    9Q-T w/Wolf XP spring vs 9Q-T with carbine spring
    Gun functions better with the carbine spring over the Wolf XP. Smoother because the bolt is not slamming forward as hard as with the Wolf XP. Also easier to keep on target.

Each test was with 100 rounds of Speer 147 gr. ammo and shot out of a 7.5" QC10 barrel with an Omega 9K suppressor.

The next test will be the 9Q-T with the carbine spring vs the Blitzkrieg Hydraulic buffer and tuned JP 308 spring but it'll be awhile because I broke my wrist and can't shoot for the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by jimmyheadgear; 08-23-17 at 07:26.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I don't like the recoil of heavier springs at all.

Have not tried a hydraulic buffer in 9mm, I'm happy with how an A5H4 runs with a rifle spring. (No spacer as the A5 buffer is longer)

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies so far guys... I thought they'd be more by now?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hydraulic buffers have just never hit their intended mark. Streams of stories about them leaking, and a handful of guys with 10's of thousands of rounds through them and no problems. Hard to say, but personally I think it's just a bit too Gucci and adds another failure point.

Get yourself an >6oz buffer and call it good. They're a bit spendy, but I like Heavybuffers.

These are pretty great value though.

Feedback Score
    my friend and i both run the hydraulic buffer its worth the money

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Ha, almost a year to reply! I'll keep this short.

I used a JP 308 spring with the 9Q-T and the Blitzkrieg 9mm hydraulic buffer. My AR9 has a QC10 7 inch barrel with an Omega 9K silencer. I shot 120 rounds of Speer Lawman 147 gr. ammo.

The first 60 were with the 9Q-T. There was not much recoil at all. The gun stayed flat and rapid fire shots would be pretty close on target. It was great!

The next 60 were with the Blitzkrieg. There was a little sharper feeling of recoil with the Blitzkrieg, the gun still stayed flat and did just as well on rapid fire as the 9Q-T. But the bigger difference to me was that the gun felt a lot lighter with the Blitzkrieg. I noticed it as soon as I picked it up.

The Blitzkrieg also ran some crappy Freedom Munitions ammo that wouldn't cycle with the 9Q-T.

So, for me the Blitzkrieg is the choice.

If you don't mind the additional weight, the 9Q-T is a little softer on recoil.

I want to remind everyone there is no hard science behind these tests, just my perception.

Feedback Score
    I used the Taccom3g 3 stage PCC buffer system in my AR40 Pistol.... It is great.