Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could use some feedback on this load...

Feedback Score

Could use some feedback on this load...

I could use some feedback from AR-15 shooters who are more experienced than I am with "battle accuracy." The gun is an LWRC M6G (basically an M6A2) in 5.56. The load is a handload, 77 gr Sierra HPBT, Lapua brass, 24.1 gr RL-15, and BR4 primers. I know that it's a well-known accuracy load for ARs, but I arrived at this result after a detailed workup that examined a whole bunch of charge/OAL combinations. This just gets me under mag length.

30 rounds, 1.54" group if you discount the single high-left flyer. Average velocity was 2603 fps, and standard deviation was 14.3 fps across all 31 rounds.

I'd like some feedback, but I'm guessing this is pretty good precision for a stock AR-15...even a high-end one? A Geissele trigger is all I've done to it. I have to admit to chasing groups like those I get in my bolt guns, but I'm slowly getting to the realization that, without a high-end custom barrel, this may be as good as it gets. Next up for experimentation is VVN140.

I have no idea why the photo is loading so small...click on it for a full-size.

Target.jpg

Feedback Score
    Depends how you shot it and what distance? If irons and elbows at 50 yards, I would be happy with that.

My go to 5.56 load is very similar to that. Never could blame a miss on the ammo. I tend to prefer a safe load on the higher end of velocity/pressure for any AR vs a load specifically tuned to one rifle.
    Last edited by Bob Sacamano; 08-23-17 at 08:52.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    My 77 grain Nosler load prints like that, but I'm shooting "irons and elbows". If I put a 4x optic on there I would expect it to tighten up a bit. It's loaded to SAAMI max, but shy of 5.56 velocity at 2,550 from a 16" tube.

Using LC brass and a powder drop, and only working up the load to check for pressure, not striving for precision, I'm pretty satisfied.

If you're going for terminal effectiveness at 200 yards and in, I figure it's good to go. 1.5 MOA is (in my opinion) quite acceptable in a fighting rifle.

(Edit: my load/rifle prints like that at 50 yards. I no longer possess the visual acuity to print small groups with irons at 100y)
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 08-23-17 at 09:37.

Feedback Score
    This was 100 yards off a bench with an Atlas bipod and a 14X scope. Keep in mind though...it's 30 rounds, not 5. I have tested half a dozen different bullets and powders, and this is the best by far. And I can shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sacamano View Post
    Depends how you shot it and what distance? If irons and elbows at 50 yards, I would be happy with that.

My go to 5.56 load is very similar to that. Never could blame a miss on the ammo. I tend to prefer a safe load on the higher end of velocity/pressure for any AR vs a load specifically tuned to one rifle.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    If that were my rifle, I'd run a few rounds of say, Black Hills 77 red box, or FGMM or something through it. That oughta provide some sort of baseline.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can't shoot that good for 30 rounds. I'd say that's not bad. RL powder is way too temp sensitive for me to run as an AR load though.

Feedback Score
    Since you shot ladders I will guess you're prepping and weight segregating your cases. If not, that should help tighten up the groups.

I'm a fan of the Viht powders and use N-150 in my .308 with good results.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    If that were my rifle, I'd run a few rounds of say, Black Hills 77 red box, or FGMM or something through it. That oughta provide some sort of baseline.
    I have shot both through this rifle, and this handload outshoots both by a wide margin. I know it's crazy, but it took me forever to find a load that shot this well. I'm just having trouble determining if this is good, average, or below average for an AR-15 with scope off a rest. You know that everyone says their rifle is sub-MOA, but doing that over a lot of rounds would see most rifles open up to a LOT bigger group than MOA.

Feedback Score
    Yes. Loading for this rifle as I do for my precision bolt action rifles. All case prep done by me, charges weighed, rounds seated with an arbor press, and loaded rounds checked for OAL and concentricity before firing.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by richardca99 View Post
    This was 100 yards off a bench with an Atlas bipod and a 14X scope. Keep in mind though...it's 30 rounds, not 5. I have tested half a dozen different bullets and powders, and this is the best by far. And I can shoot.
    Try an actual benchrest and a rear bag, I think you will find that to help with consistency. Also no matter what your shooting position is, make sure to reestablish and check your natural point of aim. If you have to muscle the sights on to target then you will open up your groups, so make sure you're lined up behind the rifle in such a way that your sights rest on the target and do it for every shot.

My guess is you can cut a solid .5 MOA off your group size, maybe more, just with more refined and consistent technique. The fact your group has a distinct cluster of shots with single shots outside that tight cluster dispersed mostly in the horizontal plane leads me to believe this is a shooter consistency issue more than an ammo dispersion issue.

You appear to be getting consistent placement of the rifle on your shoulder, and you're controlling the the vertical variance of your position pretty well because that is easier to do. My guess is that the position of the bipod is walking ever so slightly causing your position to change ever so slightly as the string is fired. Even if you try to account for it by moving the bipod back to the same spot if it shifts you'll get subtle deviation in your results.

This brings us back to a benchrest and a rear bag. A properly sand bagged in benchrest on a solid surface, and a rear bag will be much easier to get consistency with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast