Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PredatOBR vs KAC LPR. Considerations?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

PredatOBR vs KAC LPR. Considerations?

I've decided to start looking for a new 5.56 rifle to use in Run N Gun matches. Anywhere from 3-5 miles of running with interspersed multigun stages along the way with 4MOA targets out to 350-400 yds. Due to living in Maryland, I'm left with some unusual restrictions - to be legal, an AR-pattern rifle must either have a "heavy" barrel or have proprietary parts (bolt, gas system, etc) so as to not be interchangeable with a conventional AR. The PredatOBR has a heavy barrel, the LPR has the KAC gas system and E3 bolt. None of the matches take place in MD, but I'd rather not have to store the uppers off site, so my preference is to acquire something that is legal both in and out of state.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on which way to go? Or another direction entirely? I know both rifles are top of the line , so my metrics for comparison are more along the lines of reliability, accuracy, manufacturer support, ease of finding replacement parts, etc.

I will have a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 with JM1 reticle on top.
    Last edited by ClangClang; 08-24-17 at 12:50.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    I've decided to start looking for a new 5.56 rifle to use in Run N Gun matches. Anywhere from 3-5 miles of running with interspersed multigun stages along the way with 4MOA targets out to 350-400 yds. Due to living in Maryland, I'm left with some unusual restrictions - to be legal, an AR-pattern rifle must either have a "heavy" barrel or have proprietary parts (bolt, gas system, etc) so as to not be interchangeable with a conventional AR. The PredatOBR has a heavy barrel, the LPR has the KAC gas system and E3 bolt. None of the matches take place in MD, but I'd rather not have to store the uppers off site, so my preference is to acquire something that is legal both in and out of state.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on which way to go? Or another direction entirely? I know both rifles are top of the line , so my metrics for comparison are more along the lines of reliability, accuracy, manufacturer support, ease of finding replacement parts, etc.

I will have a Vortex Razor HD 1-6 with JM1 reticle on top.
    I can tell you that you won't be disappointed with the LPR's performance for what you will be doing with it, and you won't be disappointed with KAC's customer support!
    Yeah, I'm an employee of KAC, hahaha.
    Seriously though, back with the Mod 2 changeover, we lightened the LPR's stainless barrel by a little under a pound, and they still are consistently sub-MOA with good ammo.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    KAC

My Mod 1 shoots little bug holes w 77s and 69s.

Parts?
    Look here:http://www.operationparts.com/brands...-Armament.html

I haven't told my Mod 1 yet, but the Mod 2 is the kitties titties. The URX4 is sweet, other than a bipod, what are you really going to hang on it?

If you can't find one, just buy an upper here:http://www.operationparts.com/knight...l-urx-4-m-lok/

I have to confess I am a KAC fanboi, and really don't care. I've had amazing CS from KAC, the fine folks at Larue were meh.
    Last edited by Spin Drift; 08-26-17 at 09:39.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    both very good rifles and very good companies which produce very high quality products. Interestingly, both LT and KAC are better known for their 7.62 rifles. I own both KAC and LT. I find the KAC SR15 line to be not all that special, whereas their SR25 is killer. To some extent, that is true of LT, but I think the LaRue OBR in 5.56 has good bragging rights. Why the PredatOBR v. the OBR ? The former being a bit of a compromise gun. Maybe the weight? I think the LaRue barrels have proven accuracy. I have not compared the KAC in 5.56, but my hunch is that LT Stealth barrel is more consistent than the KAC.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I was less than impressed with my SR15. It didn't feel like the premium rifle it's price point would have suggested. I liked the old URX rail with the built in flip up front sight, which sadly seems to have went away. I absolutely hated needing a proprietary tool to remove the barrel nut. I also wasn't a fan of how it was assembled with loctite. The gun functioned fine, and had accuracy which was very good for a chrome lined barrel. It felt like a basic AR15 with some extra ambi features.

The PredatOBR on the other hand, feel like a much more premium rifle. The finish, the fit of the parts, everything is exceptional. You hit a price point where a consumers expectations are going to be much higher. The SR15 just didn't hit that spot. It isn't a chrome lined barrel, but I'd suspect its something along the lines of melonite or the like. A switchable gas block for use w a suppressor, should that matter to you. Accuracy is exceptional, on par with my Bartlien/Compass Lake barreled 18" SPR. The Larue also comes with a barrel nut wrench which matches their proprietary barrel nut. The way the upper is assembled is very unique and well thought out. I'd like it if they came out with fore ends which were MLok compatible. That's really the only grip that I have.

My favorite KAC product by far has to be their flip up sights. They're the only thing I use. Finger adjustable front and rear, extremely compact and still offers a sight picture which lends its self to carefully placed shots. No unnecessarily fat front sight.

Larue customer service has always been helpful and quick to respond to my questions. The only issue I had is when I ordered my 16" PredatOBR. The 16" is normally sold with the longer handguard. I needed the shorter handguard to remain compatible with my suppressor which overlaps the barrel. I went back and forth and was told it wouldn't work, that the spacing isn't right and the cutouts wouldn't align with the tab to allow adjustment of the gas block. I took to the forums on TOS, and looked at some pics and got some input. Ordered the rifle and ordered the short handguard, which worked perfectly. Sold the take off long handguard. I was a little pissed that someone just couldn't walk to where they are in inventory put two parts in their hands and figure it out. Again, at that price point, there's a different expectation of customer service. I wouldn't expect the same from a Ford dealer as I would a Ferrari dealer.

All that being said, I'd suggest the PredatOBR over the SR15 from a person who has owned both.

Feedback Score
    If I wanted a factory rifle, of the two you listed, I'd pick the KAC.

The KAC comes with their back up sights, ambi lower, cut rifled barrel, gas system, and E3 bolt. They have the most refined AR platform on the market. My experience with KAC customer service was excellent.

The larue should come with some dillo dust and a 3 round test target shot in a controlled environment... Lol
    I honestly don't see anything in the larue that you can't build yourself. There are lots of accurate $200-300 button rifled barrels available from reputable manufacturers. Good bolt carrier groups and billet receivers are plentiful. Better hand guards and stocks are available.

If buying a factory rifle with a heavy barrel or proprietary parts is a requirement, and you don't pick the KAC, I'd look at the Daniel Defence V11 or V7 pro rifles. Excellent product, excellent customer support/service, costs less than the larue or KAC, and in my area easier to find than either Larue or KAC. The last DMR match I attended was won with a V11 pro.

I don't know if you are familiar with Mark's online demeanor, but his keeps me from even considering buying any of his products. He's the only guy I've ever seen make fun of a competitor for spending money on research and product development. I guess tight chambers, blown primers, and stuck shell cases are problems that fix themselves. Makes ya wonder why he uses 3 shot groups for accuracy evaluations. Smh
    Last edited by Jsp10477; 09-18-17 at 21:57.
    “I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.” – Thomas Jefferson.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Interesting input folks, much appreciated. It looks like there's a pretty even division between both platforms. Still not sure what I'm going to do

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Never owned a LaRue, and don't see the need to. My LPR has been phenomenal and so have my other SR-15 platform rifles. My Mod 1 LPR with Krieger barrel shoots lights out with Black Hills 77 grn TMKs. Given the upgrades the SR-15 offers, I don't see a reason to not go with it, other than cost.
    DPMS 16" Carbine- NcStar scope, UTG Rails, MagLite hose clamped to barrel | S&W Sigma | HiPoint 9mm | Lorcin 9mm | Jennings .22| Stevens 12 Ga

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ClangClang View Post
    Interesting input folks, much appreciated. It looks like there's a pretty even division between both platforms. Still not sure what I'm going to do
    Would also urge you consider overall weight and balance. I have not researched the weight on either, but would guess that the MOD2 LPR will balance further back while the PredatOBR with heavier handguard and barrel will balance and handle like a heavier rifle even if weights are close.

I do have both a MOD 2 SR15 and a LaRue Predatar. They do not compete as closely as the LPR vs tOBR, but I think offer an instructive comparison. As mentioned above, LaRue delivers excellent attention to detail and finish quality. Everything is billet and the receivers are closely matched with no wobble, the annodizing is perfect, and everything is well machined, down to the chrome BCG that appears to have a had a lot of finish polishing work.

The SR15 is built from more standard forgings, but is still well-built. Besides the E3 and ambi stuff, the draw to the SR is how well it handles. Balance is almost perfect and the rifle feels 'alive' as factory configured. It is hard to describe or quantify until you use one. If they LPR handles similarly, at all, I think it'd be a great multigun rifle.

The predatobr will also have the PST while the LPR will be fixed. I don't think the current or Mod 1 SR series needs adjustable gas for suppressed use as they are already gassed pretty soft.

I think the predatobr might be better applied as a more stationary heavy rifle for longer range work while the LPR would cross over better. A closer comparison in weight and balance might be LPR vs. Predatar.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am an amateur shooter and rarely have time to shoot. With that being said I have the Mod 1 LPR. I took it out yesterday and with the exception of one flier(Completely my fault) I put 19 rounds into about a 1 1/4 inch group. 77 Grain CBC. This rifle is a laser. I was absolutely giddy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast