Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to precision AR and would like input on SPR build

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

New to precision AR and would like input on SPR build

Hey guys,

I have a few ARs and and all of them are SBRs. My longest rifle I own is a scar 17 at 13.5" and all other AR platforms are shorter.

I have a decent amount of experience behind precision guns but have never built one. My only real precision rifle Was a DTA .338 I sold to a buddy and wish I never had. I now want to build a quality SPR at this point.

I'm completely new to a precision AR and what it takes to make it a nail driver

I've done some research and have only purchased all the parts to build my lower only. I'll be putting it together next week- just waiting on the stock and trigger.

This is what I have so far

Lower:

Noveske Gen 3 lower
    LMT lower parts kit
    AXTS Talon ambi safety
    Geissele SD-E trigger
    KNS gen2 anti roll pins
    Colt Rifle length buffer tube
    JP Enterprises Gen2 silent captured buffer (Heavy- 2 tungsten weights making it H2 weight)
    EFX-A1 fixed stock
    Ergo Tactical Deluxe grip

I'm going to start purchasing everything I'll need to build the upper now and would like input. Here is what I'm thinking

Upper:

Noveske Gen 3 upper
    Noveske take down pins
    Noveske Superlative adjustable gas block
    Noveske Super badass charging handle (or Raptor?)
    JP Enterprises FMOS bcg with Enhanced bolt
    Geissele 15" Mk14 M-Lok rail
    Proof Research .223 wylde 18" carbon Fiber barrel (requires DPMS gas tube)

This is all I can think of now besides forward assist and dust cover.

Anything you would suggest otherwise on upper?

This rifle will be shot suppressed 99% of the time

Thanks
    Last edited by SilentRecon; 08-24-17 at 15:32.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    A couple comments, and they are worth what you pay for them.

First, what part does weight play? Also, do you have a budget?

I assume since you have plenty of short ARs that weight is less of an issue. You can get a very accurate barrel without spending the money on the Proof, it will be heavier. I don't have experience with a whole lot of them, but I do know that many go with Krieger for example. I have found the Rainier ultramatch barrels are also very good. The charging handle is good, I have gone to the Geissele myself, but nothing wrong with your choice.

The MK8 forend from Geissele is much more available right now, and is known for being very rigid, and also has a proven track record.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    My precision AR world is limited to Krieger barrels.

For one Proof I can get two of them. That's huge.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

Will the Geissele rail work with the Noveske upper? I know the MK4 and 8 rails require modification. I recommend SMOS or Noveske quad rail for your application.

Why not ask SMOS to build your upper? They are reasonably priced, use Shilen barrels, and it will match your lower (they designed and produced the Noveske gen 3). I'm sure they can get you an adjustable block too or reduce the gas port.

I have the 18" proof barrel. Got a deal on it. I use regular rifle gas tube. I like it because my purpose is to carry it as well as bench it.
    Last edited by fledge; 08-24-17 at 17:39.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    That is correct, I forgot about that. You can buy the Vltor MUR upper and it will work with the MK8, I have two uppers with that combo.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    A couple comments, and they are worth what you pay for them.

First, what part does weight play? Also, do you have a budget?

I assume since you have plenty of short ARs that weight is less of an issue. You can get a very accurate barrel without spending the money on the Proof, it will be heavier. I don't have experience with a whole lot of them, but I do know that many go with Krieger for example. I have found the Rainier ultramatch barrels are also very good. The charging handle is good, I have gone to the Geissele myself, but nothing wrong with your choice.

The MK8 forend from Geissele is much more available right now, and is known for being very rigid, and also has a proven track record.
    Thanks for your reply.

After further investigation, I'm reading that the Geissele mk14 anti rotation tabs over the barrel nut will not allow the rail to fit on the noveske upper unless the upper receiver is machined for the tabs to fit. Bummer... I wouldn't even know where to start in having someone do this nor do I really want to.

No real budget as long as it is worthy of its price/function

Also, proof research is 10 weeks out to make a barrel but I'd wait if needed- I do prefer light as possible but know there is a balance in this equation and too light isn't always the best option. I'll definitely check out Krieger for sure.

Thanks for your input!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    Will the Geissele rail work with the Noveske upper? I know the MK4 and 8 rails require modification. I recommend SMOS or Noveske quad rail for your application.

Why not ask SMOS to build your upper? They are reasonably priced, use Shilen barrels, and it will match your lower (they designed and produced the Noveske gen 3). I'm sure they can get you an adjustable block too or reduce the gas port.

I have the 18" proof barrel. Got a deal on it. I use regular rifle gas tube. I like it because my purpose is to carry it as well as bench it.
    Yes you are correct. None of the Geissele rails will work with the noveske upper. I'd prefer to keep the upper and lower the same so looks like I'll be looking into the other rails as mentioned.

I've never heard of SMOS and just looked them up, thanks for that! My buddy up north has the proof barrel and swears by it but its a bolt gun. He does a lot of walking with it.

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)

You can get the Proof barrel right now without a wait. Just gotta know where to look.

https://www.rainierarms.com/proof-re...els-ar-15-308/

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    If you are willing to spend that kind of cash on a barrel get a Noveske 18" and send it to Marvin Pitts to get a full dimple job. The accuracy is just as good and will last longer.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For another opinion - I think you're over thinking it. FWIW i just bought a DPMS 20" SS fluted match 1:8 twist complete upper from a co-worker for $300, as they complained it was too heavy for a tactical gun. Research on sites that sold them show 2 versions, 1 with a Wilson match barrel.

Not sure which I have, but I loaded up some famed 69-grn Sierra SMK high power loads of 25.3-grns Varget, 0.010" off the lands (Measured by the Stoney Point/Hornady tool) and the first groups are 3/8" for 5-shots and ~1/2 MOA for 10-shot groups, less any called shots.

So I'll ask? Are you now a precision shooter? Best advice I ever got was to get a decent 22LR bolt gun, e.g., Win 52, scope it w/ good optics and put in a lot of range time 'behind the trigger'. I spent a year doing that for 'trigger time', off a good bag/rest setup, to tune the 'nut behind the trigger'. Learn to 'call' each shot.

I personally believe many AR barrels and upper combinations in uppers will deliver ... like my lowly DMPS one ... and I have yet to tune the load by Dan N's OCW method. I feel all too often the shooter's ability - or ammo choice - lets the shooter down versus which brand of component they bought ...
    Last edited by Lefty223; 08-24-17 at 19:10.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast