Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to precision AR and would like input on SPR build

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fledge View Post
    You can get the Proof barrel right now without a wait. Just gotta know where to look.

https://www.rainierarms.com/proof-re...els-ar-15-308/
    Thank you for that I thought I looked at Rainier but somehow missed that. That is excellent!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

New to precision AR and would like input on SPR build

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty223 View Post
    For another opinion - I think you're over thinking it. FWIW i just bought a DPMS 20" SS fluted match 1:8 twist complete upper from a co-worker for $300, as they complained it was too heavy for a tactical gun. Research on sites that sold them show 2 versions, 1 with a Wilson match barrel.

Not sure which I have, but I loaded up some famed 69-grn Sierra SMK high power loads of 25.3-grns Varget, 0.010" off the lands (Measured by the Stoney Point/Hornady tool) and the first groups are 3/8" for 5-shots and ~1/2 MOA for 10-shot groups, less any called shots.

So I'll ask? Are you now a precision shooter? Best advice I ever got was to get a decent 22LR bolt gun, e.g., Win 52, scope it w/ good optics and put in a lot of range time 'behind the trigger'. I spent a year doing that for 'trigger time', off a good bag/rest setup, to tune the 'nut behind the trigger'. Learn to 'call' each shot.

I personally believe many AR barrels and upper combinations in uppers will deliver ... like my lowly DMPS one ... and I have yet to tune the load by Dan N's OCW method. I feel all too often the shooter's ability - or ammo choice - lets the shooter down versus which brand of component they bought ...
    Good shooting!

Nope, I havnt shot much precision in a while since I sold my DTA. I do not reload but soon will. I agree and firmly believe the person behind the rifle and ammo choice is more important than a supreme rifle but if I'm going to build a rifle right, there's nothing wrong with trying to do it right the first time.

Thanks for your input!

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    If you are willing to spend that kind of cash on a barrel get a Noveske 18" and send it to Marvin Pitts to get a full dimple job. The accuracy is just as good and will last longer.
    I just checked him out and damn he does nice work. How much weight do you think that saves in the process? It's probably all said and done close to what the proof barrel costs so this may be a excellent option. This is why I posted! Thank you for that

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentRecon View Post
    I just checked him out and damn he does nice work. How much weight do you think that saves in the process? It's probably all said and done close to what the proof barrel costs so this may be a excellent option. This is why I posted! Thank you for that
    I think he has some calculations on his website site. It is more than you would think. Besides weight it has many more advantages also.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Honestly, I just dumped quite a bit of money into building an SPR myself using a Centurion Arms MK12 barrel, BCM receivers, and Geissele rail and optic mount. As much as I like it (and I thoroughly enjoyed building it) if I were to do it over again I'd just hit the easy button and buy a KAC SR15 LPR and KAC optic mount and call it a day. It would save you money in the end, and you'd have a hell of a rifle with a great gas system and other improvements for less (especially if you're using a Proof barrel). You could probably find just the LPR upper since you have the lower parts already.

Also, I'd ditch the KNS pins if you're running a Geissele trigger, as I'm fairly positive Geissele only recommends their pins. Your lower parts sounds solid though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue556 View Post
    Honestly, I just dumped quite a bit of money into building an SPR myself using a Centurion Arms MK12 barrel, BCM receivers, and Geissele rail and optic mount. As much as I like it (and I thoroughly enjoyed building it) if I were to do it over again I'd just hit the easy button and buy a KAC SR15 LPR and KAC optic mount and call it a day. It would save you money in the end, and you'd have a hell of a rifle with a great gas system and other improvements for less (especially if you're using a Proof barrel). You could probably find just the LPR upper since you have the lower parts already.

Also, I'd ditch the KNS pins if you're running a Geissele trigger, as I'm fairly positive Geissele only recommends their pins. Your lower parts sounds solid though.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
    I would buy a upper but just want it exactly how I want it. KAC is superior stuff no question and would probably outperform a build. I know their proprietary bolt and gas system is excellence as well.

As for the pins, From what I was reading people with high speed Geissele shouldn't use them but I'll just throw them on one of my SBrs and use Geisseles pins in this build. His pins are designed for the trigger so no sweat! Thank you for that as I had no idea!

Going to take the little guy out after I level his scope here and break in his crickett cpr

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a northtech defense receiver set that the giessele mk4 works great with (same mounting as mk8). It is top notch stuff

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12