Thread: If sitting is the new smoking

Feedback Score

If sitting is the new smoking

I have seen a few articles, stating that "sitting is the new smoking".

That working out is not enough, if you sit for long periods of time.

So my question is if I were to get up every 25 minutes and do 2 minutes of intense movement to fight the sitting issue. What will be the effect on my body as far as recovery from my "real workout".

Also wondering if anyone thinks doing 2 sets of intense movement has any negative downside?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Regarding the prolonged sitting, I too am very concerned about the effects. I drive/fly constantly to cover a large region and I'm feeling the toll on my ability to sustain intense workouts the way I used to. Some of it is age related, but I am convinced hour after hour of windshield time is dragging me down.
    Can't comment much on the workout plan other than what I am doing. I am still tinkering the periodization aspect but it seems to work for me. I am cycling between 5x5 lifts around 75-85% of what my estimated max is, with a bike ride or 5k run afterwards at a moderate pace, and periods of body weight calisthenics and more intense cycling/running. Most periods are 4-8 weeks. I feel this keeps my heart and body strong, allows sufficient recovery and keeps my weight in check. Diet of course is the key component- in my case it is keeping intake of fresh veggies high when I am travelling.
    If you have a home office or a supportive office, try this: https://www.varidesk.com
    It is my next purchase for the home office.

Feedback Score
    Here's a thought: how do we really know this isn't more junk science?

Feedback Score
    First of all, if it's this study: https://arstechnica.com/science/2017...dumpster-fire/ it's bullshit.

Second of all, inactivity is the problem. Not 'sitting'. You're not gonna be any less 'at risk' or any healthier by standing.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Here's one assessment of 20 studies claiming no appreciable difference between standing or sitting, say while using a computer
    http://www.npr.org/sections/health-s...t-its-benefits

However, I do recall - but can't find it - that there was a juried and acclaimed study from the UK where the was a marked comparison in life and quality of life, between workers who worked AND walked on their feet as part of their job, versus those with sedentary jobs. IIRC those "that moved" lived 8-years longer.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!