Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Please don't text and drive!

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Please don't text and drive!

I am sure most people on here don't do it, but share this with your kids, family and friends that might.

On Friday my buddy (Detective with the Sheriffs Dept) and I decided to play hooky and go to Indianapolis to get lunch and plan my upcoming campaign. Afterwards we decided to catch a movie before coming home to the wives.

We missed our exit and had to go to the next and turn around. Right before the exit to turn around we saw a car (Kia Soul) parked in the left Emergency lane with another car (Saturn Aura) parked right next to it giving it a jump. The 2nd car was slightly in the roadway but not enough to cause a problem if you are paying attention. We both commented on it and took the exit. As we came back down the ramp we saw that there had been an accident involving the cars. He hit his lights and floored it to turn around while I got on the phone to 911.

We got back around and were unsurprisingly first on the scene. The only word to describe it is BAD. From what we were told by a witness the driver of a 3rd car (older Honda Accord) had been going about 90 and weaving in and out of traffic while messing on his phone. He didn't see the car parked on the side of the road assisting the other one and rear ended it at full speed.

Since this kid wanted to play on his phone here is what happened.

The Saturn was thrown about 30 yards. This caused the jumper cables to whip around with enough force that it caused a compound fracture of the left arm of the driver of the Kia since she was standing in front of her car at the time. Her daughter was thankfully unhurt but was in shock from what was happening.

The passenger of the Saturn sustained sever trauma to her face, I am not sure the cause but it could have been any number of things. It was flattened and she was bleeding badly from her nose and mouth. I cleared her airway but there wasn't much else I could do for her but put her on her side and keep an eye on her for shock.

The Honda though... Oh the Honda. This is the car we went to first since it looked the worst. There was smoke coming from under the hood and it was dumping every fluid onto the ground. We were worried about fire but thankfully a Flatbed got there the same time we did and had blocked traffic. He had an extinguisher we were able to use to keep things under control.

The Male in the Passenger seat and the female in the back were not wearing Seatbelts.. The Female was thrown forward and wedged between the front seats. Her Rib cage was compressed and her breathing was labored but other than that she seemed ok. Found out later from the EMTs that she had a collapsed lunch and some broken ribs.

The Male passenger though was the worst injury I have ever seen where the person wasn't dead. He had gone through the windshield(you can see the hole in my pictures) and then fallen back in the car. He sustained the normal breaks you would expect. And he was missing most of his face. It was gone from the top right side of his forehead down across his nose. As far as I could see his eye was gone as well and his jaw was only hanging on by the tendons on the left side. At first I figured he was 10-0 but then I saw he was moving and trying to hold what was left together. The doors on that side were wedged shut and even if not we were concerned about moving either him or the woman because of the risk of spinal damage. And honestly no level of trauma medicine was going to make a difference if this guy lived or died. So while we had someone try to keep those two calm I worked on the others. He will never be right again and frankly if I had been in his spot I would have preferred to have died.

The only person actually unhurt? The Kid who was driving the Honda that caused all of this. He was standing off to the side alternating between looking shocked and wailing like an injured animal.

It took be about 10 minutes for the 1st local officer other 1st responders to get there after we showed up. This wasn't there fault. The accident had brought traffic to a complete halt and idiots were blocking the emergency lanes trying to see what was happening. By this point we had stabilized who we could and were trying to keep the others calm and warm. Once they got there we backed off and just offered to help where we could since it was their territory.

The absolute worst part though was when the parent of the girl in the Honda showed up. An entire family running trying to get to the car, and seeing how bad it looked. I helped restrain them and get them back to their car. They pushed back against me and the officers, trying to push through. But none of us blamed them.

So in summary. Because this kid wanted to play on his phone while driving on a busy interstate, here is what happened.

• 2 Cars totaled.
    • A Stanger with a badly broken arm and a traumatized child.
    • Another Stranger with severe injuries to her face and possibly internal injuries causing bleeding.
    • A friend with broken ribs and one collapsed lung.
    • A 2nd friend with no face or jaw and probably missing an eye. With a future of intense reconstructive surgery and rehab, not to mention any other injuries from going through the windshield.
    • Hopefully Charges and jail time for him since this was negligence pure and simple.

And once again. All because he wanted to play on his phone. I won't lie. I wanted to beat the kid. He couldn't have been 20. Probably still in high school even. But it doesn't matter. Nobody should be that irrisponsible.

http://wishtv.com/2018/01/05/4-hurt-...-70-eastbound/

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    horrible

11 teens die each day from texting and driving

its a huge issue these days and sadly every day I am out I see idiots doing this !

if the idiot anti gun nuts would focus on our real problems(killers) like this as I always say

Feedback Score
    Good reminder, terrible story though.

Only thing i have to say is its not “texting”, its any distraction.
    Speeding and weaving while not giving 100% attention can end up like this. Driver could have easily had one of the passengers do whatever he was doing on the phone, sounds like an irresponsible person.

Putting on makeup, digging for CDs, eating all take your eyes off the road, be careful out there.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Awful. Some of my most haunting memories are from working similar scenes and having to go tell a loved one their son/daughter/husband/wife was dead. I have always felt that "accident" was a misnomer since so many of them are avoidable.
    Philippians 2:10-11

To argue with a person who renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. ~ Thomas Paine

“The greatest conspiracy theory is the notion that your government cares about you”- unknown.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Distracted driving from texting, talking, fiddling with all the other technology in cars today is a huge problem for highway safety. People no longer have the patience to just sit, drive, and listen to the radio.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
    Distracted driving from texting, talking, fiddling with all the other technology in cars today is a huge problem for highway safety. People no longer have the patience to just sit, drive, and listen to the radio.
    Which is why now they have all kinds of lights and alarms and even automated braking.

A coworker has been in the hospital for about 3 weeks now. It wasn't because of texting or other gizmos. He's just an idiot. Totaled his highly supped up Porsche 911. Woke up a week later in the hospital. Doesn't remember anything. Broken ribs, broken arm.... doctors had to add bone to his arm and put in bolts and plates into his hips. Last year he had a supped up Benz AMG..... flipped that on its roof
    Last edited by Arik; 01-08-18 at 07:52.

Feedback Score
    115 (100%)
    Distracted driving has always been a problem.

I think modern phones and social media has made it worse though.

Feedback Score
    Early Dec my Wife got rear ended at a light by a guy going 50 or so as she was sitting at a red light. It was an older guy who said he wasn’t on his phone. They both walked away from it. Wife was just a bit sore. Wife was in her X5 and the headrest popped, which probably saved her from some whiplash. Amazing what modern safety tech can do, but you can’t mitigate the kinetic energy of 90mph coupled with carelessness.

Thanks for stopping. My wife was at a red light and no one stopped. She was amazed. The guy’s Subaru was totally jacked and even the side airbags had popped from the frontal collusion. And the Eloi just kept moving on....
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Good reminder, thanx.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    on the tech side as mentioned

I never want self driving cars BUT with the way some drive might lower accidents as long as we can have our option

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast