Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 College Football season is here

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    Could've used him in the NC game. Not a good time to make a change. Now they're on their 3rd OC since last season and I'm not sure Brian Daboll is the answer either.

NYH1.
    Fortunately (or unfortunately for the rest of us) the talent recruited by Bama tends to overcome a lack of coaching.

That said, I think Clemson is in for a dog fight in their playoff game. Saban doesn't like losing to the same team.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Fortunately (or unfortunately for the rest of us) the talent recruited by Bama tends to overcome a lack of coaching.

That said, I think Clemson is in for a dog fight in their playoff game. Saban doesn't like losing to the same team.
    Yeah, Clemson is probably the most complete team this year though.

Bama's defense was stout before injuries started staking up. Oklahoma can....well score points in ship loads. I don't know what to think of Georgia. Clemson can score points and their defense is pretty good as well. Should be interesting.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score

Barry Switzer used to say...”its not the X’s and O’s, its the Jimmies and the Joes” regarding coaching in the college ranks.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    Barry Switzer used to say...”its not the X’s and O’s, its the Jimmies and the Joes” regarding coaching in the college ranks.
    I like to think Phil Fulmer said that as well lol

But when you have a top 3 recruiting class five years or more running, you tend to be able to replace talent with talent. Bama never has a "rebuilding" year but rather a "reloading" season. Most teams can't say that for the most part.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I like to think Phil Fulmer said that as well lol

But when you have a top 3 recruiting class five years or more running, you tend to be able to replace talent with talent. Bama never has a "rebuilding" year but rather a "reloading" season. Most teams can't say that for the most part.
    Lot's of coaches said that; I doubt you'll ever find the original source.

Kids want to win. So the more talented kids will go to top-10 programs, so those programs will typically stay good. Sure, they might move from 2 to 8 to 12 to 6 and back and forth, but for the most part, unless there's a change in coaching there will be stability in player talent.

This is a big departure from pre-BCS when talent was a bit more dispersed. Before the BCS, kids just wanted to play well and win, and coaches with smaller programs could sell their teams ("we play four top-10 teams a year", etc.) and get a lot of talented kids. With BCS and the current playoffs, all the money is funneled into "Power 5" schools, especially the top-10 teams. There's more disparity in talent.

Unfortunately, it's seen now as nothing but a money-maker and a semi-pro league to warm guys up for the NFL.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post

Kids want to win. So the more talented kids will go to top-10 programs, so those programs will typically stay good. Sure, they might move from 2 to 8 to 12 to 6 and back and forth, but for the most part, unless there's a change in coaching there will be stability in player talent.

This is a big departure from pre-BCS when talent was a bit more dispersed. Before the BCS, kids just wanted to play well and win, and coaches with smaller programs could sell their teams ("we play four top-10 teams a year", etc.) and get a lot of talented kids. With BCS and the current playoffs, all the money is funneled into "Power 5" schools, especially the top-10 teams. There's more disparity in talent.

Unfortunately, it's seen now as nothing but a money-maker and a semi-pro league to warm guys up for the NFL.
    Yep, you could probably guess today the 2027 top 15 and get 10 correct. In no particular order of course.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post

Don't be hatin on Fulmer.

I have to disagree. I think proper coaching and recruiting plays into it far more into it these days than in years past. Kids aren't always going to the big name schools out of tradition like they did 20 years ago or so. Michigan, for example, had some pretty rough stretches. Bama was a craphole post Bear Bryant until Saban came along. Clemson was a doormat team until about five years ago. Tennessee has not been doing all that hot the last decade. Texas sucks. Etc, etc.

But you've also has some upstart programs that have made waves in the past decade or a bit longer that aren't necessarily in a P5 conference. Memphis, UCF, Boise State, WKU, BYU (not sure if they count being an Indie team) and San Diego State are all non-P5 teams that have fielded teams good year after year for the most part over the past decade. And that's due to coaching more than what conference they are in.

I think, by and large, all the P5 "blue blood" programs will rise and fall. However, I think the coaching and recruiting plays far more into it than a name alone. There is no reason Tennessee or Florida State or UCLA shouldn't be fielding top 10 teams every year.

Feedback Score
    Don't be hatin on Fulmer.

I have to disagree. I think proper coaching and recruiting plays into it far more into it these days than in years past. Kids aren't always going to the big name schools out of tradition like they did 20 years ago or so. Michigan, for example, had some pretty rough stretches. Bama was a craphole post Bear Bryant until Saban came along. Clemson was a doormat team until about five years ago. Tennessee has not been doing all that hot the last decade. Texas sucks. Etc, etc.

But you've also has some upstart programs that have made waves in the past decade or a bit longer that aren't necessarily in a P5 conference. Memphis, UCF, Boise State, WKU, BYU (not sure if they count being an Indie team) and San Diego State are all non-P5 teams that have fielded teams good year after year for the most part over the past decade. And that's due to coaching more than what conference they are in.

I think, by and large, all the P5 "blue blood" programs will rise and fall. However, I think the coaching and recruiting plays far more into it than a name alone. There is no reason Tennessee or Florida State or UCLA shouldn't be fielding top 10 teams every year.
    Um....

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYH1 View Post
    Um....

NYH1.
    Meh, one decent season.

Stallings did pretty fair there, but there was a drought of highly touted teams between Bryant and Saban. That season being the exception.

Feedback Score
    Meh, one decent season.

Stallings did pretty fair there, but there was a drought of highly touted teams between Bryant and Saban. That season being the exception.
    There were down years no doubt. Stallings time at Bama wasn't that bad....other then the Antonio Langham situation.

NYH1.

NYH1.

ROLLTIDE!
    NYSRPA Member.

Page 43 of 51 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast