Thread: Are your bases truly locked down and not moving effecting accuracy ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Are your bases truly locked down and not moving effecting accuracy ?

I have an Elk tag that I have been getting my guns ready for, my main 300WM and back up gun in case someone runs over my goto WM. My back up gun is a 338WM and Mark and I have been beating our heads against the wall trying to work up a load. I tugged on the scope, tugged on the base and it wouldn't budge.

Mark spun up four loads, every single load stringed horizontal. So I immediately knew my wood stock was the culprit. I took my gun apart to inspect the stock. It is a very nice piece of wood that is pillar bedded and "glass" ( I think thats what its called) bedded. I think I see wear marks because I want to see wear marks.

I then take my gun to my gunsmith so we can order a custom McMillian Game Scout stock. My guy worked at McMillian for 20 years, he can write up the form and get the barrel dimensions perfect. I tell him the whole story and he starts to inspect. He ignores 90% of everything I tell him about the stock he bedded and the wood flexing... and says " we can't just order a stock we have to find the problem".

Long story long, he tears off the scope, and starts in on the base and screams the "screws are loose on the base". Now I had tugged on the base but couldn't feel the movement, or couldn't make it move, but under recoil it was moving a hair. After taking the base off, I could see the wear marks on the rear right side where slight movement was causing a 3-4 inch horizontal string.

My immediate delight to find the problem and immediate frustration thinking about 5 range sessions trying to find the right load made me dizzy. I still wanted to order the Game Scout and my gunsmith is a HUGE fan of McMillian, but said "if you want to buy one you can, but that stock is not effecting accuracy". He pulled and tugged on the action and checked the free float so he was confident of the stock. He said a new stock will change the look , but thats all. This surprised me.

My guy JB welded my base, his opinion was lock tight will work for a while, but then break down. JB Weld requires heat to take the base off, which I don't want my bases off, ever. The next day I took 5 more guns to check bases and JB weld. Two of the five were really tight, the others were either loose or on their way. Its been five years on some of these guns and 1,000's of rounds.

Maybe you don't have to JB Weld them, But I suggest you check them once a year or so. Especially if you carry your gun by your Nightforce like I do all the time. Nightforce is a good handle is my tip #2 !

Anyway, I hope this story helps a brother now or in the future from the frustration I tortured myself and my buddy.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-25-17 at 09:14.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Forking-A! I used to read about bedding your base, but always thought it was just over kill BS. I can just hear orkan ripping our asses now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have never thought about checking the scope bases periodically. Most of my bases are weaver and have remained untouched for over decade. If a rifle became symptomatic I can completely understand investigating the bases.