Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 55gr bulk ammo that doesn't suck?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

55gr bulk ammo that doesn't suck?

Does it exist? Does anyone have a gun that can/will shoot bulk 55gr around MOA? My SPR build shooting around MOA all day with my generic 55gr z max loads but as soon as I shoot any type of bulk ammo it opens up to around 3-4 MOA. Main purpose of the ammo is going to be shooting steel at longish ranges (4-600) yards. Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    There is a specific place here for ammo questions.
    You might find an answer already posted.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How about listing the bulk ammo brands, types, weights, etc you're dissatisfied with so that they aren't wasted in a reply.

Feedback Score
    Honestly pretty much the vast majority of the 55gr bulk is limited to the 2-3 MOA range.

If you are doing longer range you might just want to invest in better ammunition. I've had very good luck with Prvi 75gr and at $9-$10 per box I think it is one of the best values in terms of accurate ammunition that is affordable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Averageman View Post
    There is a specific place here for ammo questions.
    You might find an answer already posted.
    That's the 3rs ammo question in at forum in about 2 days.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    No bulk 55gr mil spec bullet will produce the same precision that a varmint grade bullet can.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Agreed. The only round that comes to mind is vmax, and that isn't bulk. And I doubt it'd be good at over 400.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thankyou for the responses everybody. It seems I'm going to want a heavier grain bullet for my longer range shooting? I was trying to stay in the same weight as my Varmint hunting bullets for consistency sake but I can change things up if I have too. Is there a higher grain/quality bulk loading out there for a decent price? I'm limited too handloading on a single stage press so I try to just purchase my plinking ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    "Bulk ammo", "decent price" and "4-600 yd. steel" in the same sentence are a tall order.

I shoot a bit of 62 gr. FMJ CBC that is "reasonably priced" (which in itself is subjective). It has proven a decent performer to 400 yds. on steel, but sure as heck isn't MOA at that distance.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    To me, shooting 'bulk' ammo is like shooting a 22LR rimfire. The BEST thing you can do is take it to the range with 6 to 8 brands of ammo ... and see what the barrel likes!

One of my White Oak uppers loves cheap Tula, not that I shoot it a lot through it and not at all now, since I precision reload 69-grns for the across the course load for that particular upper.

Haven't shot them past 200Y, but when 'matched' to a barrel it likes, bulk ammo can shoot WAY better than 2-3 MOA, I'd say more like a solid 1-1/2 MOA and not even reaching 2 (at least by my experience, ammo & uppers out to 200Y). Heck, even lowly bulk Brown Bear -39mm ammo shoots no > 2 MOA at 200Y out of my HBAR, adj gas blocked -39mm upper.
    Given that 10-shots are a group and 5-shots may be a favorable trend ... know that just one good 3-shot group can make you an instant internet superstar!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast