Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing barrel

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Choosing barrel

I'm currently in the market for a new barrel. I use my AR primarily for matches and some training. No serious duty use.
    I almost exclusively use M855 and M855A1 since I can get those pretty cheap. I shoot approx 2000 rounds/year.

I've been looking at the 18" Mountain and UltraMatch barrels from Rainier Arms. The gun shop guys told med the Ultramatch should last 6k-8k rounds and Mountain at least double.

Shooting mostly cheap ammo is the UltraMatch worth the extra price? What kind of accuracy can I expect from both barrels shooting M855?

Feedback Score
    In my opinion match barrel is wasted on m193/855. Colt, bcm, centurion, DD, etc Cr lined barrels all are about 2x as accurate as your ammo. Stick with a carbon steel barrel intruded or chrome lined IMO.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Unless you're shooting match ammo from your AR and needing the slightly smaller groups... save the $$$ like Mega says, and put it toward a good bolt gun like the Tikka T3x Varmint.

You can shoot cheap .223 from it all day long and it'll group better than pretty much any AR on the line. With the recoil/trigger/loose tolerances of most AR15s, a match barrel is wasted.

It's an overall system like an audio system, the weakest link is not made up for by the strongest/most accurate component of the system.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    I agree with the others. If all I shot was 855 I would get a hammer forged chrome barrel.

Feedback Score
    The mountain series are chrome lined hammer forged barrels and would be a good choice over the ultra match for the reasons above. The mountain series get pretty good feedback on accuracy. Not sure how the gas port is sized though. BCM and Daniel Defense are options for chrome lined hammer forged as well

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Another vote here for a chrome-lined Barrel. BCM, Sionics, etc. But if you want to do something a little further in the direction of smooth shooting, I think you would like the OPTIMUM Barrel by Black River Tactical. I'm pretty happy with mine, and it was designed for the pressure curve of 5.56 ammo such as what you are using. I've put a couple thousand rounds through an OPTIMUM barrel this year and I'm very pleased with it.

Feedback Score
    get a cold hammer forged barrel. I have great accuracy out of my spike's/fn 14.5.

Feedback Score
    If you want an 18" rifle gas, chrome lined, I'm pretty sure Midwest Industries has a Criterion barrel on their website

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 09stanggt View Post
    If you want an 18" rifle gas, chrome lined, I'm pretty sure Midwest Industries has a Criterion barrel on their website

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the shout out!

We typically see barrel life in the neighborhood of 20,000 rounds with our chrome lined barrels. On the low side I have seen barrels shot out at 17,000 rounds (shot out meaning they were unable to consistently shoot sub-MOA groups at 100 yards). On the high side I have seen one of our chrome lined barrels reach 30,000 rounds before they were unable to meet that accuracy criteria (the gentleman purchased a replacement barrel because his original was getting difficult to clean).

Barrel life will be dictated by a number of factors including rate of fire, load selection, and cleaning procedures. The M855 will be the limiting factor on barrel performance with a Criterion barrel. The tolerances held on that ammunition will allow for mil-spec performance (sub 4 MOA groups), which is far larger than what the barrel is capable of (.5 MOA with handloads tailored to the barrel on an accurized rifle build).

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions about our barrels. I would be more than happy to help answer them!

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CriterionBarrels View Post
    Thanks for the shout out!

We typically see barrel life in the neighborhood of 20,000 rounds with our chrome lined barrels. On the low side I have seen barrels shot out at 17,000 rounds (shot out meaning they were unable to consistently shoot sub-MOA groups at 100 yards). On the high side I have seen one of our chrome lined barrels reach 30,000 rounds before they were unable to meet that accuracy criteria (the gentleman purchased a replacement barrel because his original was getting difficult to clean).

Barrel life will be dictated by a number of factors including rate of fire, load selection, and cleaning procedures. The M855 will be the limiting factor on barrel performance with a Criterion barrel. The tolerances held on that ammunition will allow for mil-spec performance (sub 4 MOA groups), which is far larger than what the barrel is capable of (.5 MOA with handloads tailored to the barrel on an accurized rifle build).

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions about our barrels. I would be more than happy to help answer them!
    I was actually looking at your 18" chrome lined barrel the other day. In terms of accuracy, how do your chrome lined barrels compare to your stainless barrels? Lastly, would you say those round counts are more typical of your chrome lined barrels, than your nitride coated barrels? I ask because I'm trying to decide between your 18" hybrid profile chrome lined barrel, or your 18" hybrid profile stainless nitride coated barrel.
    Last edited by Hammer_Man; 08-31-17 at 13:08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast