Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing barrel

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Swede View Post
    I'm currently in the market for a new barrel. I use my AR primarily for matches and some training. No serious duty use.
    I almost exclusively use M855 and M855A1 since I can get those pretty cheap. I shoot approx 2000 rounds/year.

I've been looking at the 18" Mountain and UltraMatch barrels from Rainier Arms. The gun shop guys told med the Ultramatch should last 6k-8k rounds and Mountain at least double.

Shooting mostly cheap ammo is the UltraMatch worth the extra price? What kind of accuracy can I expect from both barrels shooting M855?
    What type of matches? The reason I ask, is that some competitions require maximum accuracy with hand loads etc. Some are more of the 3Gun type that requires good practical accuracy? If you are shooting M855 in competition, my guess is that a good chrome lined steel barrel will work. I am no expert however.

There are also Nitrided stainless barrels. I recently took a chance on a new offering from Faxon that seems to work well. Its part of a new "Competition Series". Its a Competition Series Fluted Heavy 16", its a nitrided Wylde chambered 5R rifled barrel. They will be offering it in 18" too.

I've taken it out only twice. The barrel is much lighter than I expected and did not screw up the balance of the rifle with a NSR handguard, I only had a Trijicon TR24 1-4X triangle post scope available (not the best reticle for accuracy). First time out was just to zero four rifles at 50 yards, so I didn't have a lot of time. The Faxon gave me 7 rounds of Geco 55gr in one enlarged hole.

Next time out I re-zero'd at 100 yards with CBC 77gr SMK. I then put up a 3" paster and with a partial box of the CBC 77g I put the remaining 17 rounds into that 3" circle with most of the rounds clustered close center even though I couldn't see the center (old eyes). I was pretty happy.

I just received a bunch of IMI 69g Match which I want to try next. Anyway, I suspect the barrel will maximize the potential of M855 or M193 if that's what you shoot. But to get the best out of any barrel the ammo could be the limiting factor.

The price of the Faxon barrel was quite reasonable (which is why I bought it). This is my first nitrided barrel and so far so good. There are advantages to the nitride treatment, it'll be interesting to see if it holds up as well as they say.

The other barrels I have that you might be interested in (because of their accuracy) are; A BCM 16" stainless which shoots at least as well as the Faxon, but won't last as long. And another BCM LW 14.5" pinned CHF (BFH) barrel. This one is a miracle barrel. As in its a miracle that it shoots as well as it does given that its a light weight profile, its chrome lined, and has a pinned muzzle brake. This is my MOST consistently accurate barrel. With CBC 77gr SMK it will shoot 7 rounds into a 1 inch circle. Not 1 MOA, all rounds inside a 1 inch circle with an old 1.25-4 Trijicon one inch tube triangle post reticle (before the TR24).

The rest of my AR barrels vary from good to OK including some expensive steel CHF Noveske barrels which are not super accurate, but will last a long time.

YMMV - There are a lot of good barrels out there these days
    Last edited by ScottsBad; 08-31-17 at 17:16.

FaxonNathan Guest
    A pleasure to be mentioned. Let us know how we can help in any way!

Feedback Score
    Scionics CL barrel here.

Feedback Score
    Ballistic Advantage anyone?
    Last edited by Hulkstr8; 09-19-17 at 15:39.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Green Mountain Barrels
    Ar15Performance
    Ballistic Advantage
    Sionics Weapon Systems
    Faxon Firearms
    Last edited by ColtSeavers; 09-19-17 at 16:04. Reason: Forgot Faxon :(

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColtSeavers View Post
    Green Mountain Barrels
    Ar15Performance
    Ballistic Advantage
    Sionics Weapon Systems
    Faxon Firearms
    Good list. I have used Ar15Performance, Ballistic Advantage and Faxon Firearms barrels with very good results. AR15 Performance makes a very high quality barrel with nice features (Wylde chamber, 5R or now 3R rifling) at a plinking barrel price. Faxon also makes a good product, and the Faxon "Gunner" barrels are very light but my 20" is very accurate nonetheless. Be aware that Faxon's 16" midlength seems to be overgassed based on both my personal experience with one and the stated gas port size (0.081"). I will probably end up using an H3 or H6 buffer to tame it. (To avoid any confusion, AR15 Performance barrels are NOT overgassed and I use an H buffer with them, but can use an H2 if I want to.)

Or any brand of quality chrome-lined barrel, which might include Green Mountain and Sionics, as well as BCM, Daniel Defense, and the various purveyors of FN-made barrels. Really, for OP's uses the barrel quality is not that demanding and many decent companies can meet it.
    Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 09-19-17 at 21:52.

Feedback Score
    I'd recommend Ballistics Advantage.

Feedback Score
    I'm a simple man, if it says LMT on it I run it. Don't have time to mess with wrong gas port diameters or wonder if my shit will work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12