Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cleaning your long range weapon

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    On average how many patches do you guys run before your satisfied? On nicer barrels, I feel
    Like it's 95% clean on 5 or so patches. On average how many patches do you run. I guess I'm different than most because I don't let them sit. I clean a Gun in around 15 minutes.

I'm sure I could do a better job if I was patient enough to let them sit a while.
    About the same here. I don't attempt to remove every bit of fouling as I (A) has never noticed an improvement when having done so, and (B) I'm going to make sure the bore is fouled anyway.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Solid point , gracias
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My gunsmith got me into using shooters choice with 2 patches followed by brushing with bronze brush. Bad copper fouling calls for nylon brush and sweets 7.62. Impressive stuff! Switching between chemicals calls for dry patching so as little chemical mixing as possible occurs in the barrel. I don't clean so far as to strip all the metallic fouling out as I don't want to negate my painstaking barrel break in process. So I stop when a faint blue streak on the patch is evident. At this point I pull out the bore guide ( did I fail to mention the importance of a proper bore guide with o ring tip keep solvent out of action?). Oil a patch and punch the bore. Oil another patch and get the chamber. Push a dry patch through the bore to remove excess oil. Done! 45 minute procedure....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Forgot to add that I use coated dewey one piece rods, midway and Sinclair precision bore guides, and their excellent bore brushes.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I use the bores guides specific to caliber, coated rods, and oil patches at the end of the fun and games. Good stuff

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    My gunsmith got me into using shooters choice with 2 patches followed by brushing with bronze brush. Bad copper fouling calls for nylon brush and sweets 7.62. Impressive stuff! Switching between chemicals calls for dry patching so as little chemical mixing as possible occurs in the barrel. I don't clean so far as to strip all the metallic fouling out as I don't want to negate my painstaking barrel break in process. So I stop when a faint blue streak on the patch is evident. At this point I pull out the bore guide ( did I fail to mention the importance of a proper bore guide with o ring tip keep solvent out of action?). Oil a patch and punch the bore. Oil another patch and get the chamber. Push a dry patch through the bore to remove excess oil. Done! 45 minute procedure....
    I think pretty much the exact opposite of this. I don't want any copper in the bore and while my "break in" process is typically far from painstaking at typically 8-12 patches, it results in pretty much no further copper fouling, and definitely no bad fouling.

a blue/green streak on the patch means your solvent has removed some copper. it doesn't tell you how much. if you want consistency, then you should clean until there are no further indications of copper. otherwise, what's the point?

i never use metallic brushes in the bore. copper solvent is all you really need to clean. shooters choice works fine, as long as you give it time to do its job. you accomplish nothing if you immediately remove it. otoh, it's not something you'd want to let sit in your bore for hours either

Feedback Score
    I use the combo of Kroil with JB Bore paste with VFG pellets, started using this on my 338LM and now I have added 7.62 and 5.56mm pellets to the inventory as well. Works very well, no metallic brushes and no harsh solvents.

Dewy rods and a good bore guide are also a must.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12