• Other

16 23.53%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LPVO for Military/SOF

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Razor 1-6 with MRAD reticle.

He will very likely use an LA-5 (PEQ-15 on roids) with NODs, so I wouldn't stress the night vision reticle aspect. If he's running a PVS-24, absolutely get the Geissele 30mm mount. It perfectly aligns the Razor 1-6 with a 24.

Feedback Score
    Thank you very much for the input everyone, I really appreciate it.
    It seems the two I keep getting pointed back to the most are the VCOG and Razor, with a tad more weight towards the Razor.
    Explorininthewoods, thank you. I have seen your videos on YouTube and they were a lot of help. The Accupower was one I was looking at at one point too, but wasn't sure about the durability (compared to the others listed) and especially the battery power (like 31 hours on middle setting?).
    GTF425, thank you for the optic and reticle choice. I was curious if Mils or the JM would be best. When playing around with Strelok I was surprised how easily it was to get the JM to work with many different loads, but wasn't sure about the ability to range at all. Should I go this route (seems more likely every day), I would definitely use the money savings over the VCOG to get him the Geissele mount too.
    I had mentioned the MeoTac ZD 1-4x RD because I Had read military and contractors had used it, and was something of a "poor mans" Shot Dot lol. Is the Short Dot still as popular today given what is available? The Razor seems to fit nicely in a similar capacity; red dot brightness, huge field of view, reticle choice, and even though SFP, seems like youd end up ranging and IDing in max magnification anywho.
    Thank you again guys, its much appreciated. I apologize if my responses aren't super prompt due to work (I have shift work so I get on at odd times).
    Out of all the reticles available, would you all suggest sticking with Mil? Like I had mentioned, playing with different reticles on Strelok I was very surprised at the JM-1 BDC compared to other BDCs (especially Trijicon). Was pretty on for a lot of loads (with maybe a slight elevation adjustment for some. Same with the Eotech Vudu), but I worry if he'd need the ranging possibilities of a Mil reticle?
    Thanks again guys. When I get this for him, I will certainly say its from not only myself but M4Carbine as well

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    The JM-1 is a great reticle and works well with A1. From a logistics standpoint, he's stuck with a 50/200 zero if he intends to actually use the BDC. If he doesn't have access to a range that would allow that, it won't do him any good. But if he can, then it's a fast reticle that makes hits out to 600 yards like cheating. And before all this "But the BDC doesn't match" bullshit, he'll more than be able to make hits out to 600 regardless of what ammo he's feeding it.

I prefer the MRAD solely for the fact that he can run whatever zero he wants and learn his holds based on that. The fact that it can range is just a bonus. If he doesn't have a need for ranging outside of "got some shitheads about 300 meters at our 12", then the JM-1 will work well and would be the better choice, honestly. It's a great reticle and is very fast on target.

Ranging, outside of sniper and recce work, is almost always done in 50 yard increments and comes from experience and intuition more than calculating a mil relation.

The Short Dot is pretty long in the tooth. While revolutionary when it came out, the original customer made the jump to the Razor for a reason. I wouldn't even consider one today.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    *duplicate post*
    Last edited by GTF425; 08-27-17 at 15:08.

Feedback Score
    Thank you again! I will find out his range options/availability. Never knew that about the ranging. Sounds like if he has the zeroing ability the JM-1 would be the way to go.
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If this guy is a real deal NSW face shooter, why does his brother need to waste his money on an LPV as a gift? His unit doesn't have quality LPV's in inventory or can't order it up? I'm genuinely curious as I don't know how the acquisition process works at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ExplorinInTheWoods View Post
    The VCOG has been proven on deployments by stukas, the razors are getting issued, the mk6's have been used too. I personally like my VCOG and would like to have one for my work gun. I will say that the VCOG is not as bright as it could be but I prefer the reticle over the razor and mk6. I don't like how small the 1x reticle is on the mk6 and the flicker drives me crazy, my buddy has one. The razor has a great field of view but I'm not crazy on the reticle. I agree with sideways that those are the ones I would roll with. I like the VCOG reticle the best.
    Given your experience with the VCOG, which reticle do you think would be more advantageous for him, the horseshoe or segmented circle? I have the horseshoe myself but the Segmented Circle almost seems to have a better field of view when zooming in on the target.
    "Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company." - George Washington

Feedback Score
    double post
    Last edited by Alkayus; 08-27-17 at 18:37.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Goodtimes View Post
    If this guy is a real deal NSW face shooter, why does his brother need to waste his money on an LPV as a gift? His unit doesn't have quality LPV's in inventory or can't order it up? I'm genuinely curious as I don't know how the acquisition process works at that level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Because I thought it would be a nice gift. I hadn't been able to get him something as I was planning to since he passed everything a few years back.
    I am also sure he can get something far better than I can for him via whatever outlet he has available. He didn't ask me to get him one. He had mentioned it in a conversation we had that he was thinking of trying one out so it gave me this idea. Should he not want/need or wants better, I'd understand and just keep/return/sell it.
    Last edited by Alkayus; 08-27-17 at 18:38.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkayus View Post
    Thank you again! I will find out his range options/availability. Never knew that about the ranging. Sounds like if he has the zeroing ability the JM-1 would be the way to go.
    Unless guys have memorized common target sizes and can spit a mil relation formula from memory, they aren't ranging shit with a reticle. But it does work well on a static range with a fixed size steel target...

It's blown way out of proportion on the internet. Even after RSLC, I was guesstimating to within 50 yards in contact with just my eyes and experience. Even though we were stuck using our mismatched BDC ACOGs, we were still making good hits and taming savages.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast