Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Harvey

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I heard Clay Jenkins talking about that shelter on the radio this morning. They predict it will be full soon, and they will likely need another.

Houston is the fourth-largest city in the US, and it is rapidly becoming a lake.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I heard Clay Jenkins talking about that shelter on the radio this morning. They predict it will be full soon, and they will likely need another.

Houston is the fourth-largest city in the US, and it is rapidly becoming a lake.
    There are four shelters currently in operation. One is 300, another is 250, and I think the third is smaller. The fourth one was just opened today for the first round of roof extractions that arrived late today. It will close down and they will move everyone from there to this one when it stands up tomorrow morning. They are expecting another 5,000 above the capacity of this shelter and they will be further distributed to other locations. The first two locations are staying open and probably the third.
    After Katrina and Rita we were identified as the point of shelter for all areas along the coast. We took the lessons learned from that and have pretty much been the model for shelter and evac operations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death hangs over thee: whilst yet thou livest, whilst thou mayest, be good.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I worked a Katrina and then a Rita shelter in '05 (DFW locations). This storm is way more destructive as it has sat on the region and dumped rain.

Our Louisiana neighbors have been in the Houston area in force via their Cajun Navy. Great bunch of outdoorsmen using their own fuel in their own trucks pulling their own boats to conduct water rescues. As of yesterday HPD reported 2,000 water rescues. A friend of mine in the TX National Guard was mobilized, Abbott is sending IIRC ALL of them to Houston and the Gulf Coast.

For people wanting to help, here is a great source with links:

Here Are Ways You Can Help People During Hurricane Harvey
    http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dail...nt=Harvey+Help

Some of the pics that have made social media over the last 24hrs . . .

Little guy fast asleep on his momma as an HPD SWAT officer carries them to safety after being rescued via boat.

"In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Yo, **** price gouging/profiteering. The good sheriff or fire marshal should shut those places down.

As said before I have friends/family there; Texas is good people, and I dig seeing neighbors helping neighbors. And a shout-out to the Cajun Navy for coming to help.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It's illegal to price gouge, there is a hotline for people to report and call it in but with everything else going on . . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This whole episode has been horrible. It most likely is going to be worse than Katrina and its aftermath. The Houston Mayor has been an incompetent ass.

This gives credence to sensible preparation. All your important documents, fresh water, Cash in hand, changes of clothes, and if it looks like you need to bug out, bug out early and often.

The standouts to me are Joel Osteen. His snake oil days are done. High, dry shelter and you're a rich "preacher" who doesn't let people in?

And the usual vermin who loot. Everything is waterlogged and useless.

It is inevitable, but this will eventually get politicised which will be horrible.

All I know is a lot of people are homeless now and it will take a while to rebuild.

A good lesson here is we are small beings and everything we have can be destroyed in a day. And yet still, people are still trying to save others.

But this is a good reality check. Is your Bug Out gear just for LARPing or is it something that is going to get you outta Dodge and be able to begin to rebuild in the aftermath or, if that is impossible, aid in starting life anew elsewhere?
    How much gas do you keep in your car?
    Where is your tank sitting right now?
    How many counties can you put behind you without stopping?

Starkly relevant questions.
    And some hard lessons to come.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The Houston Mayor has been an incompetent ass.
    I was actually surprised CNN called him out about why an evacuation wasn't ordered.

ETA: Link

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/hou...vey/index.html
    Last edited by Grand58742; 08-29-17 at 07:20.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    It's wonderful seeing people come together to help each OT her out. I read some of the Cajun Navy cane under fire by looters trying to take their boats. I hope both th Texas and Cajun boys and girls were smart enough to bring their own guns. I hope I'm right that the gas price photo looks fake/photoshopped.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 08-29-17 at 08:14.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckman View Post
    Yo, **** price gouging/profiteering. The good sheriff or fire marshal should shut those places down.
    Actually, the consumers should. If I lived in that town, I'd make sure I never spent another dime in that store along with everyone else I knew.

I do recall a gas station in Colorado Springs going out of business not long after 9/11 for jacking the prices up to $7 a gallon on gas. The local residents remembered them being the only station doing so and imposed a boycott of it. It went out of business in about three months.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grand58742 View Post
    Actually, the consumers should. If I lived in that town, I'd make sure I never spent another dime in that store along with everyone else I knew.

I do recall a gas station in Colorado Springs going out of business not long after 9/11 for jacking the prices up to $7 a gallon on gas. The local residents remembered them being the only station doing so and imposed a boycott of it. It went out of business in about three months.
    When Hurricane Fran came through my town there was one store open the day after, running on a couple generators. It was early September and hotter than hell--mid 90s--and they were selling ice for $10 a bag. The fire marshal came and shut them down. When they reopened they took a hit, but that place had been open since the 70s, and is still open.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast