Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dedicated 22LR upper or conversion kit?

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spikes-Rep View Post
    A dedicated upper is definitly the best way to go.

-Tom

Please explain you think a complete upper is better? Because it costs more or because we have to purchase all the other accouterments (eg: optic) to match the .223 rifle we all usually shoot?
    Last edited by jasonhgross; 12-07-08 at 20:20.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhgross View Post
    Please explain you think a complete upper is better? Because it costs more or because we have to purchase all the other accouterments (eg: optic) to match the .223 rifle we all usually shoot?
    The dedicated upper has the proper chamber and twist rate. A drop in conversion is ok but it wont ever be as accurate or reliable as a dedicated upper.

Feedback Score
    i agree that the dedicated upper is the way to go, but i used the drop in for a long time before getting one and i haven't noticed a change in reliability.

out of curiosity, what's wrong with the chamber in the conversion kit?

Feedback Score

22 upper

The dedicated upper has the proper chamber and twist rate. A drop in conversion is ok but it wont ever be as accurate or reliable as a dedicated upper.
    Has i mentioned before over here in the uk it we want a ar/m4 semi auto then it has to be .22, from years ago i had a very early ar15 a1 before the bolt forward assist model ( yeah i really am that old ) with a drop in 22 conversion, and as spike says it will never shoot the same as a dedicated upper, i found that the twist rate was to fast for the 22 bullet, the .223 barrel is a larger dia than a .22 barrel so bullet never really stabalises, and point of aim wont be the same for your sights red dot, scope or irons so unless you want to adjust your expensive state of the art sights every time you drop in the conversion then you will have to work with two sets of sight pictures.
    but i wish i had that choice lets hope you still do next year !!! happy shooting for now and a happy xmas to you all over
    there, santa may bring you that 22 upper just get identicle sights put on it.
    Last edited by martino; 12-09-08 at 09:08. Reason: setup

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    The advantages you mention regarding a dedicated upper do not outweigh the positives of the drop in kit. Besides cost, the drop in kit allows the use of the same exact AR, with its optic and accessories that a complet upper does not. If I was going for ultimate accuracy in a 22LR I would not go with an AR platform anyway. I am going for the best training I can at the lowest cost without diminishing the accuracy to a point where I cannot adequately train. The drop in kits are very reliable with the black dog magazines, are cost effective, and are delivered on time when ordered through the right sources. Also, they are more portable to the range than an additional upper. Another bonus in training.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A dedicated 22 rifle is even better. A 10/22 is what they call them.

Innocent_bystander from TOS built a sweet dedicated AR with all that blackdog stuff and everything. Once he FINALLY got all the bugs worked out it was a really cool setup.

But in the big picture.... WHY?

So you can spend a thousand bucks on a dedicated rifle to save money on ammo? There's only so much rimfire you can shoot before you have to man up and fire some centerfire!

(But if people have the cash and like tinkering.... God bless them!)
    Last edited by markm; 12-09-08 at 09:42.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    A dedicated 22 rifle is even better. A 10/22 is what they call them.

Innocent_bystander from TOS built a sweet dedicated AR with all that blackdog stuff and everything. Once he FINALLY got all the bugs worked out it was a really cool setup.

But in the big picture.... WHY?

So you can spend a thousand bucks on a dedicated rifle to save money on ammo? There's only so much rimfire you can shoot before you have to man up and fire some centerfire!

Hence the .22 drop in kit. Its the simplest solution that achieves the goal.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonhgross View Post
    The advantages you mention regarding a dedicated upper do not outweigh the positives of the drop in kit. Besides cost, the drop in kit allows the use of the same exact AR, with its optic and accessories that a complet upper does not. If I was going for ultimate accuracy in a 22LR I would not go with an AR platform anyway. I am going for the best training I can at the lowest cost without diminishing the accuracy to a point where I cannot adequately train. The drop in kits are very reliable with the black dog magazines, are cost effective, and are delivered on time when ordered through the right sources. Also, they are more portable to the range than an additional upper. Another bonus in training.
    My conclusions as well.

Feedback Score
    As everyone has different needs, wants, and budgets there is no perfect answer. I'm fairly familiar with both the drop in units and dedicated uppers. If the budget is tight then a drop in conversion is a good option. If you don't mind paying more you can get a dedicated unit and configure it like your primary weapon.

I chose to go with dedicated builds that I completed myself. The M4ish is fun, but the 6" w/suppressors is a bit more fun.

Last edited by DrBaker; 12-30-08 at 22:10.

Feedback Score
    Have to agree with DrBaker. The dedicated is awesome if you can afford it but I like my kit. Only problem is it seems to have feeding issues every couple of rounds. Will get back to you once I have polished the ramp a bit. Other than that no problems and the gas tubes are easily cleaned out after firing a .223 through it. Works great with my AAC M42000 too .

-Goober

P.s. DrBaker those are some badass little toys you got there

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast