Thread: Ruger Redhawk Question

Feedback Score

Ruger Redhawk Question

I'm toying with getting a Ruger Redhawk in 357. The description says it's relieved for full moon clips. Does that mean you MUST use full moon clips?

Even if that's just an option and not a necessity, do you recommend using it with full moon clips?

Feedback Score
    I don't think you need to use them. I have a 357 Magnum S&W 627 that came with them but I don't use them. I'm very deadly with it and I haven't even used them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You do not have to use them. If you don't, though, only a small part of the case rim will be in contact with the cylinder. I haven't read of any failures associated with this, but it's not the way a revolver is usually designed, FWIW. Moon clips certainly make for fast reloads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    You do not have to use them. If you don't, though, only a small part of the case rim will be in contact with the cylinder. I haven't read of any failures associated with this, but it's not the way a revolver is usually designed, FWIW. Moon clips certainly make for fast reloads.
    And in all honesty, if I'm stuck using moon clips I'd rather get a revolver in 9mm. Smith 986 anyone?

Feedback Score
    You do not need to use the clips.

Previous comments about the partial support of the rim should also not cause concern. The design is not functionally deficient.

I can say that the groove dimensions in 357/38 brass are different from one manufacturer to another. This can cause annoyance when trying to install ammunition that poorly matches the clips.
    Winchester needs a thinner clip than everyone else (I think Winchester might be addressing that problem).
    R-P and Federal use the same .025" clips quite well.
    Blazer aluminum cannot be put into clips since it has no grooves.
    If you reload Starline brass, that stuff would need different clips (if you use clips).

For casual shooting, I would ignore the clips.

For serious use, the clips do assure good ejection, which I consider an advantage so the ammo in the cylinder would be clipped. The ammo for the reload might not be in clips. When the clip is in the cylinder, not much can happen to it. An unsupported, loaded clip is a bit delicate and could be bent and result in a troublesome reload attempt.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    You do not need to use the clips.

Previous comments about the partial support of the rim should also not cause concern. The design is not functionally deficient.

I can say that the groove dimensions in 357/38 brass are different from one manufacturer to another. This can cause annoyance when trying to install ammunition that poorly matches the clips.
    Winchester needs a thinner clip than everyone else (I think Winchester might be addressing that problem).
    R-P and Federal use the same .025" clips quite well.
    Blazer aluminum cannot be put into clips since it has no grooves.
    If you reload Starline brass, that stuff would need different clips (if you use clips).

For casual shooting, I would ignore the clips.

For serious use, the clips do assure good ejection, which I consider an advantage so the ammo in the cylinder would be clipped. The ammo for the reload might not be in clips. When the clip is in the cylinder, not much can happen to it. An unsupported, loaded clip is a bit delicate and could be bent and result in a troublesome reload attempt.
    Thank you sir!, you answered a question I was going to pose before I had the chance !... damn I learn a lot on m4c.