Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What 38 or 357 Revolver with an external hammer would you choose?

Feedback Score

What 38 or 357 Revolver with an external hammer would you choose?

I lament that the Ruger Security Six and Service Six have long since been discontinued. I should have held onto the ones I had.

As far as modern revolvers in 357 or 38, which would you choose and why?

My personal "must have" is an external hammer. I want a revolver I can shoot well into my old age. I watched my dad lose his hand strength as he aged. He was a semi-auto guy until he could no longer cycle the slide on any gun to chamber the first round. He also got to the point that he had to manually cock the hammer on any handgun because he didn't have the strength to fire double action anymore.

So...even though I personally love the Smith 642 for all-around revolver goodness, I'm thinking of long-term having to own a single-action capable revolver if I end up with low hand strength like my dad.

So, what flavor would you grab if you specified it had to have an external hammer for shooting single action?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you like them, then why not pick up a used Security Six or Service Six?

I've never purchased a new revolver, and that's unlikely to change.

Feedback Score
    I agree there is so many used old school revolvers on the market ( though much less than in the late 80's early 90's police wholesale change to autos) buying used makes the most sense. The older guns have a certain appeal the new ones just don't. I've had many revolvers pass through my hands over the years and only a few were New when I bought them. Many were bought back during the time police were moving to autos in droves- model 10's for $100, 15's for 150. A model 19 I bought off a cop ( used with carry wear but mechanically pristine) with a holster 2 speedloaders and one box of 38's and one 357 ( each with six rounds missing) for $175. These days good solid used revolvers ( S&W man myself) will be more in the 300-500 range but still a good deal.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Agree with that^^.

I'd much prefer a low milage, quality S&W/Colt/Ruger over any new ones that come to mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Probably a M28 but ideally a M13, which I already have. However....640 pro, Kimber K6, Ruger SP101, S&W 686+

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    The security six would be great. I have two Ruger GP100s

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Are we talking full sized revolvers with 4-6 inch barrels? New? I'd probably grab a GP100. I like them, they work, I have parts for them. On the used side, I've seen Ruger Security and speed sixes go for as low as $250. I missed a few of those by very little otherwise I'd have one or three. I do have an old-ish Colt Police Positive that I picked up for under $300, around the $200 and change mark and that was back during SH. That shoots quite well, though it has some finish wear from being carried. An Old S&W wouldn't be out of the running either. I'd stalk local gun stores with used gun sections, you never known what they might have cheap that you would want. I know I have to stay out of Sarco up here, they have some used guns that beg to come home and hang out with the others.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Are we talking full sized revolvers with 4-6 inch barrels? New? I'd probably grab a GP100. I like them, they work, I have parts for them. On the used side, I've seen Ruger Security and speed sixes go for as low as $250. I missed a few of those by very little otherwise I'd have one or three. I do have an old-ish Colt Police Positive that I picked up for under $300, around the $200 and change mark and that was back during SH. That shoots quite well, though it has some finish wear from being carried. An Old S&W wouldn't be out of the running either. I'd stalk local gun stores with used gun sections, you never known what they might have cheap that you would want. I know I have to stay out of Sarco up here, they have some used guns that beg to come home and hang out with the others.
    I picked up an old (1934) Police Positive a few years ago for $199. It looks like it fought on both sides in the battle of Stalingrad but works great!

Photos actually look better

Original grips, checkering worn smooth

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arik; 08-28-17 at 19:48.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    There are a lot of used Smith Model 54's around, issued by security companies. They can be had for around 300 bucks.

Nothing wrong with a good used K frame, and you can still get parts for them. Smiths still abound who do quality work on them.

Fewer and fewer good smiths will touch a Colt revolver these days.

Feedback Score
    Ruger GP100 in either of the following versions; Wiley Clapp or Match Champion, if you go w/ a new production revolver.

Colt Mk3 Trooper, Dan Wesson M15 full lug, if you go w/ an old model.
    Fecal Splatter Expert

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast