Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What 38 or 357 Revolver with an external hammer would you choose?

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    An older S&W N-frame, a newer Performance Center N-frame or a GP100 with an action job. If the prices ever become reasonable enough again to buy a shooter, a Python.

Feedback Score
    The choice of revolvers in the 'used' market at local gun shops/pawn shops/gunbroker etc. is fairly extensive, I can see where making a final decision would be problematic. My selection was SW 686... quite happy with it !

Feedback Score
    It's been a long time since I researched any trigger lock problems on Smith revolvers. Is that mostly a non-issue at this point, or is there still that nagging doubt that it will lock under recoil?

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    You can get one without trigger lock if you are talking about that little key thing on the side of the gun. My 442 had no lock and I think I walked out with a NIB for $329 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    Ruger LCR-X Mine has a XS tritium front sight and with aluminum case ammo it's nearly weightless.
    sent from Windows Phone 10 using tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Smith & Wesson Model 19 sweetness, vintage early 1960s. Will def hold its value, handles 357 for SD. Pinned barrel, recessed cylinders ... no MiM parts = hand fitted by craftsman.

Can get these on Gun Broker for $500-$700 depending on this & that

You want dash model 4 or less, so a Model 19-4 or less

"Retired Assistant Chief Patrol Inspector of the U.S. Border Patrol, famous gunfighter, and noted firearms and shooting skills writer Bill Jordan consulted with Smith & Wesson on the design and characteristics of the Model 19. Jordan's idea for a "peace officer's dream"[2] sidearm was a heavy-barreled four-inch K-Frame .357 Magnum with a shrouded barrel like the big N-frame .357 and adjustable sights. After a year of experimentation with improved-strength steels and special heat-treating processes, the result was the .357 Combat Magnum (later designated Model 19), with the first serial-number gun (K260,000) presented to Jordan on November 15, 1955.[1][3]

The .357 Magnum, four-inch barreled model was standard issue to uniformed officers of the former U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service as well as Patrol Agents of the U.S. Border Patrol until both agencies adopted .40 caliber semi-automatic pistols."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_19

image002.jpg
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PattonWasRight View Post
    Smith & Wesson Model 19 sweetness, vintage early 1960s. Will def hold its value, handles 357 for SD. Pinned barrel, recessed cylinders ... no MiM parts = hand fitted by craftsman.

Can get these on Gun Broker for $500-$700 depending on this & that

You want dash model 4 or less, so a Model 19-4 or less

"Retired Assistant Chief Patrol Inspector of the U.S. Border Patrol, famous gunfighter, and noted firearms and shooting skills writer Bill Jordan consulted with Smith & Wesson on the design and characteristics of the Model 19. Jordan's idea for a "peace officer's dream"[2] sidearm was a heavy-barreled four-inch K-Frame .357 Magnum with a shrouded barrel like the big N-frame .357 and adjustable sights. After a year of experimentation with improved-strength steels and special heat-treating processes, the result was the .357 Combat Magnum (later designated Model 19), with the first serial-number gun (K260,000) presented to Jordan on November 15, 1955.[1][3]

The .357 Magnum, four-inch barreled model was standard issue to uniformed officers of the former U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service as well as Patrol Agents of the U.S. Border Patrol until both agencies adopted .40 caliber semi-automatic pistols."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_19

image002.jpg
    Sadly, I had one and an elderly friend talked me out of it. I sold it to him because it brought him such joy. Unfortunately when he passed away his brother-in-law got it. I tried my best to buy that gun back.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Sadly, I had one and an elderly friend talked me out of it. I sold it to him because it brought him such joy. Unfortunately when he passed away his brother-in-law got it. I tried my best to buy that gun back.
    Ouch. Yeah, best not to look into the rear view mirror any more! Hey, you have a clean slate to work with.

To answer your Q overall, my recommendation is an older SW in 357 built in the 60's, or, in a modern gun, the Ruger GP 100. I have several of the former, and the GP as well. Can't go wrong with either, thou the early SWs are semi-collectible, as you know

EDIT ... the trigger locks on SWs are a poor design. I say that because they shouldn't undo themselves, no matter how stout the recoil. Is it rare? Yes. But not so rare that if that was a gun in my nighstand, I would check the tightness of that lock after every range session before it went into the nightstand
    Last edited by PattonWasRight; 08-29-17 at 15:46.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    A S&W Model 38 Body Guard if you what something lightweight. A Model 49 or 649 if you want steel.

Feedback Score
    S&W 638
    S&W 19/66
    Ruger Speed Six
    Ruger GP100

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast