Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Base and Rings

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Looks interesting. The only thing I worry about is how much space I am going to have to move the scope to adjust for eye relief.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    1 piece Picatinny base with rings as low as possible. I was thinking I wouldn't need any additional MOA for out to 600 yards or so. When looking at various prices Badger bases are in the $145 range or so, then Larue at $75 and the Nightforce comes in around $59. Is there that much difference in quality between those 3 that Badger warrants a price double or more than the other 2?
    All are good quality, get the cheapest of the best, if you will. I like Seekins rings (Vortex are made by Seekins fyi) a lot. The Nightforce are good too. If I remember The Badger base extends too far for some scope bells hit the base. Too much base.

Get the rings one size smaller than everybody tells you get. I like my scope close to my barrel so a "shooters pack " can get you in a natural point of aim with your scope.

I have used Warne rings for quality cheap rings on hunting rigs. Its cool to be able to go to sportsman warehouse or some place and try a couple rings before buying. Getting the correct rings very low is a PITA at times.

In my experience, one piece mounts pull the scope high off the barrel. I use them, but not on Bolt guns.

Good luck.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 08-30-17 at 20:17.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    I was planning on bedding the base if need be. There was another thread in this sub-forum about bedding single bases and how to determine if you even need to. So depending upon my results I may need to bed the base.
    Ill have to read that thread. I will say, you need to thread lock or JB Weld preferred, the screws so they don't move on you. See my thread about my base moving while trying to get a load developed on my 338WM, kicked my ASS!!!
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I did a Tally Extended Picatinny base (no MOA), and Seekins rings... but kind of limited in choices, as I went with the lighter Model Seven as a base.

Got the bell of my Leupold Mk4 (4.5-14x) scope pretty much just above the barrel.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    Ill have to read that thread. I will say, you need to thread lock or JB Weld preferred, the screws so they don't move on you. See my thread about my base moving while trying to get a load developed on my 338WM, kicked my ASS!!!
    I read your thread about your base moving on you. That thread was one of the reasons why I started this thread. All of my hunting rigs have standard style 2 piece bases and rings. I like the Talley rings and bases. I have even though about going that route but wanted to explore this option and pick people's brains here. Actually I've read a lot of yours and Markms various long distance shooting threads over the years which lead me to pic this particular rifle. If I remember right I believe both of you recommended the 5R over the AAC-SD.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    I would think a Leupold MK4 one piece base would serve you well. Believe it's a 15moa base. I just picked one up for my father's 308 build at 48 bucks on sale. Normally 90. I would also recommend Seekins low rings. You will still have plenty of clearance with that NF. They still have clearance with 50mm objective and 20moa base on a few builds I have.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    For a base, I'd take a hard look at Precision Armament. They have a VERY nice looking 20MOA base, machined from an somewhat exotic alloy, and is comparably priced to to a Badger. Badger bases are typically good to go, and come in just about any flavor you could want. I'd recommend getting a base w/ a recoil lug, and bedding it. Degrease the screws and Loctite them

Rings? American Rifle Company rings are very nice. Nightforce are well made, and probably the lightest, if you get the ultra-light titanium model. Seekins always seem to work well. Badgers are solid, but a little overpriced IMO, based on the materials used and the exterior machining quality.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    My two bolt guns have Nightforce bases with Seekins rings. No issues on either gun.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Geissele super precision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    IMO, with a 700 action a 1-piece bedded to the receiver is the way to go. Don't hesitate to forego release agent and "glue" the base directly to the receiver with JB Weld. I did this with the Leupold 15 MOA steel base (no recoil lug) mentioned above and it held tight. A heat gun and soft face mallet took it off with little effort. I have since gone to the BO 20 MOA base due to it having a recoil lug, and because of Cerakote used release agent when I bedded it to the receiver. Do not under estimate the importance of having the base firmly attached!

You can see the bedding under the rear of the base in the photos below. Typically when you tighten the front two base screws on a 700, you end up with air under the rear of the base. On mine, there was zero contact.

Badger Ordnance 20 MOA base, Seekins low rings and SWFA 10X42HD with 42mm objective, M24 barrel contour;

EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast