Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Base and Rings

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    So here is my rifle. Rem 5R Milspec. Barrel and action have been cerakoted OD and the stock HS Precision stock has green spider webbing. I bought it this way so the work was done ahead of time. I mounted a Nightforce NXS 2.5-10 x 42 scope on it. So as far as rings and base goes I found a Nightforce Direct mount on GB for a really good price. When mounting the base I followed the steps in another post and screwed down the back of the base first and checked the clearance up front and then did the opposite to check the clearance in the back. Both front and back sections lay perfectly flat on the action and there wasn't any gaps that I could get a feeler gauge into. It did use JB Weld when mounting it and I also used loctite on the screws. When mounting the scope I had to bring the scope all the way back within the rings to get proper eye relief. However, that is wearing regular clothes and I many not have that eye relief when wearing heavier clothes. This is what I was worried about when another member recommended this base/rings setup but the price I got it for was too good to pass up. Bad thing is that I may have to go another direction anyways because of the possible eye relief issue. We shall see.

This past Saturday I sighted in my rifle with SSA 165gr Nosler Accubond ammunition. I've been hunting with this ammo for the last couple of seasons and it plain works. As far as braking in the barrel some of you may cringe but I basically sighted in and did the break in at the same time. I set up a target at 25yards and fired a shot. Adjusted the reticle to where the shot hit. Ran a patch of Shooters Choice through it then a bore brush 3-4 times then a couple of dry patches. After that I shot again and dead center target hit. Cleaned again and moved to 50 yards. Same procedure as before. 2 shots with cleaning in between then moved to 100 yards and same procedure. 2 shots dead center and cleaning in between. Then 4 more individual shots with cleaning in between. Total of 10 individual shots with cleaning in between each one. After this I fired 5 three shot groups with cleaning in between each round. I wasn't expecting to have sub MOA groups with this round but was pleasantly surprised. 3 of my groups came in right at an inch. and the other 2 groups came in at 1.125" to 1.25". Nothing to brag about but with regular hunting ammo she's pretty darn accurate considering who is behind the trigger. BTW I replace the XMP trigger for a Timney Calvin Elite trigger and it is set at a 1.75lb pull. I had planned on taking it to 2lbs but when I tested it at 1.75lb it felt fine right there for me so I stopped messing with it. I'm going to get some Fed GMM175gr to see what this will do. I'm also going to shoot some Hornady 178gr ELD-X ammo and see if this rifle is more accurate with it and if so I'm going to hunt with it. I've read a bunch of good reviews about this round for accuracy and hunting performance. I'll post pics of the results for both of those rounds when that comes about. Below is my rifle

IMG_1278.jpg
    Image-1.jpg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ken Farrell makes very high quality bases.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123