Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of you prefer rubber over wood to shoot revolvers?

Feedback Score

How many of you prefer rubber over wood to shoot revolvers?

I want to be able to control my revolver without feeling it smack me in the palm. I thought I could handle hunting loads in my 629 3" Deluxe but wood grips gave me a beat down. After two cylinders of 240 grains I had to take a break. I also want to be able to use hot Buffalo Bore 44 Magnum cartridges. This wood has to go.

I had to switch to Hogue Rubber grips.

How many of you prefer rubber over wood in your large bore revolvers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by CDR_Glock; 08-29-17 at 19:53.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wood for looks and rubber for shooting. I much prefer the hogue on my sp101 then the wood I had for a while. Shooting full power 357s is fun from this little beast.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ISiman/oh View Post
    Wood for looks and rubber for shooting. I much prefer the hogue on my sp101 then the wood I had for a while. Shooting full power 357s is fun from this little beast.

Looks more comfortable than the factory grips.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I shot revolvers the first thing I would do is change out the grips for a pair of Hogues. My only revolver left a Ruger Super Single Six is currently wearing a pair.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    My .357s and .44 Magnum wear Ahrends Retro Combat grips. They look great, and are very comfortable with full house loads. Their only negative attribute is that they don't have any checkering.

Rubbers may make them a bit more pleasant, but life's too short to use ugly stocks.

Last edited by grizzman; 08-29-17 at 20:34.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My GP 100 has wood/rubber grips that came with it. Mine is 3" .357 and shoots smooth, in fact its fun to shoot. I like rubber with some pistols and wood in others. My Python has original wood grips and they are fine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My 686 came with Hogue grips. I added a set of Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips and I'm not sure I like it better. I kind of preferred the exposed backstrap. Ultimately I think I would like wood grips or even G10, but I haven't shot full house .357 rounds with hard grips yet. I can say that max loads with 180 gr XTPs and H110 felt fine with the Pachmayr grips. Even one handed was no trouble.

Feedback Score
    For heavy recoiling loads, do your self a favor and get some Herrett's Jordan Troopers.
    Billy

US Army Retired, NRA Life member, M/C mechanic, Gunsmith

Feedback Score
    My Cougar has a pair of either Hogue or Pachmeyer rubber grips on them that I ground down to the profile of the old Fuzzy Ferrit grips. I love the feel of the grips and before anyone asks for a photo the gun is 1500 miles away from me at the current time.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushytale View Post
    For heavy recoiling loads, do your self a favor and get some Herrett's Jordan Troopers.

This. The shape, as opposed to the material of a grip contributes more to recoil control. A long straight grip (especially the front) such as the Jordan Trooper or Ruger Bisley do not give the gun enough of an opportunity to move against the shooters hand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast