Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a 6.5 Grendel build.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Starting a 6.5 Grendel build.

I've been wanting to try out a 6.5 Grendel AR for a while so I jumped on the group buy from another forum, and figured since I was trying a new caliber that I would try a few other parts I've never tried before.

So far I have a 20" Faxon 6.5 Grendel barrel with rifle length gas system ordered and a 6.5 Grendel "Monster" bolt by Lehigh Defense/Millennium Manufacturing. I also have a Geissele SSA-E

Parts that I want to try,

Vltor MUR upper
    SIONICS Bolt Carrier Assembly - NP3 Coated
    Vltor A5 buffer, not sure what weight yet?
    SLR sentry 7 adjustable gas block
    Magpul gen2 UBR

Parts I'm not sure about,

Lower, I think after I get the MUR in I'll take it to a local shop and match it up with a lower they have in stock. Maybe the Gen III noveske?
    Muzzle device, thinking a break.
    Hand guard, I'll decide length and brand after I decide on the gas block.

I like using the BCM LPK.

Does any of these parts not make sense, most will be just to have a chance to try them, this might be the last build for a while so I'm looking to make something different than I have before.

tdhhh by hd_rolling, on Flickr
    Last edited by hdrolling; 09-05-17 at 15:09.
    DDM4V11 PRO, SSA-E, Vortex viper 6.5x20-44mm
    BCM 16 KMR-A, SSA, EO Tech EXPS 3-0, G-33 magnifier
    S&W M&P Sport II, BCM PNT, Aimpoint PRO
    BCM 9" 300 BLK upper/KAC lower/DD BCG/ BCM PNT/ Aimpoint T1
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm
    16" BCA .223 Wylde "budget rifle", SPARC AR
    Retired Army Airborne Infantry

Feedback Score
    I'll be following this. I'm interested in a AR configured 6.5g

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    #ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Howdy HD.
    I have an 6.5 Grendel build, based on an Alexander Arms 16in mid length gas barrel. An BCM M4 upper and an BCM 15in KMR-A rail. The bolt carrier is from Sionics, the bolt is an Alexander arms hard use. I am also using the AA A2 flash hider. The lower is from Sons of Liberty Gun Works with their lower parts kit and VLTOR A5 receiver extension. SOLGW lower parts kit is their blaster kit including the fire control group ( no complaints from me) its an combat trigger but to my finger, smooth nuff. The buffer is an A5H2 (5.3OZ) I have a Vortex Viper 4-16X HS for my optic. Now my impressions; as for an muzzle break? Totally unnecessary. Even with a mid length gas barrel recoil is a non issue, with the A5 and rifle weight buffer it is smooth. The 6.5 has a working pressure around 53 to 55K psi, and as far as Wolf WPA 100 gr loads go, I had 0 issues shooting it. I used it to sight in my rifle firing 200rds with it giving decent groups at 100 yds. It looks like you have a solid list of parts save the magpul UBR, I think its heavy. You could save weight going with an STR instead. Save some $$ as well and skip the adjustable gas block ( no need). This cartridge is a handloaders delight, I found a Hornady A-Max over 8208 gave me a very accurate load. If you don't reload your own, no sweat there are more than a few factory loadings that shoot great. Do your research ask questions and I'm sure there will be some guys with much more knowledge than I to come along and give some more advice. Good Luck, John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    If you have the MUR upper, I really like the Rainier Ultramatch ambi lower to go with it. Similar style and both are quality parts. Then again I have used a standard BCM lower, PWS mod 2, and the Rainier at one time or another with the MUR upper, once you are shooting it you don't really notice what they look like.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jl1288 View Post
    Howdy HD. skip the adjustable gas block ( no need).
    Thanks for the list of whats working with yours, on the 6.5 forums every recommends the adjustable if you plan to go suppressed at some time, I do. And worse case it won't hurt by having an adjustable, again most of the parts I listed are just to try because I've never had a build with them.

The UBR wouldn't be any heavier than my PRS stock, and these are all just range weapons so they go from the back on my truck to the bench. No hunting or service.

Really good looking rifle you have there, and while I'm waiting for the barrel to finish being made by Faxon I might change my mind on the parts......
    Noveske upper/lower/handguard, 20" 6.5 Grendel Bartlein Barrel, SSA-E,Vortex viper GEN II PST 5x25-50mm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    If you have the MUR upper, I really like the Rainier Ultramatch ambi lower to go with it. Similar style and both are quality parts. Then again I have used a standard BCM lower, PWS mod 2, and the Rainier at one time or another with the MUR upper, once you are shooting it you don't really notice what they look like.
    That is a good looking lower, but my local shop has a bunch of top brand lowers in stock. So to save on FFL shipping fee's and any wait I can walk in there and walk out with my lower. I'm leaning towards the Noveske gen III billet, but because of the price I want to make sure they match up.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, after reading a bunch of comments and with the sales this weekend I decided to jump and ordered my next batch of parts.

First I ordered the upper. It is a VLTOR MUR, only I ordered the Noveske branded version. It was on sale and only $20 more than the standard MUR.

Second I ordered the Noveske NSR skinny 16.7" rail, it only weighs 9.4ozs. The other hand guard I was looking at was the SLR 16.5", but it was 15.1 oz. They were priced close at a $20 differance.

So for $40 more I'm going with a mostly Noveske build.

After a lot of reading I finally decided to drop the adjustable gas block, picked up the Noveske low pro on sale and I'm sure it will fit under the handguard. With that I ordered a black WMD Nitromet Rifle-Length Gas Tube.

Also picked up x3 6.5 high capacity E lander mags

So I still need a charging handle and muzzle device, I do have my BCM COMP MOD 1 that I removed from my 300 blk that I'm thinking about using and a few standard charging handles that I replaced with ambi's.

I do need a bolt carrier to go with my 6.5 "Monster" bolt but I'll grab that when I go to look at lowers at my local shop.
    Last edited by hdrolling; 09-01-17 at 21:31.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I think your parts list looks fine- your proposed build is very similar to one I've been shooting for the last few years. I don't use any adjustable gas blocks, but wonder it may be wise to do so if shooting the Grendel suppressed on occasion. I've broken the relief lug off of an AA bolt and I strongly suspect it was due to using a max load with a can (an AA technician was in agreement). Said bolt had seen years of use before I purchased a suppressor without issue.

BCM LPK's and Sionics BC's are good picks as well.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I think your parts list looks fine- your proposed build is very similar to one I've been shooting for the last few years. I don't use any adjustable gas blocks, but wonder it may be wise to do so if shooting the Grendel suppressed on occasion. I've broken the relief lug off of an AA bolt and I strongly suspect it was due to using a max load with a can (an AA technician was in agreement). Said bolt had seen years of use before I purchased a suppressor without issue.

BCM LPK's and Sionics BC's are good picks as well.
    Not owning a suppressor (yet) was what made me finally decide to skip the adjustable, even if I bought one tomorrow I would have a year wait to get a stamp so if I get one later on I can switch to an adjustable.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ordered the sionics BC, my funds are pretty tapped until next month.

At least this way I have everything I need to assemble a complete upper, I can use my Daniel Defense lower that already has a PRS stock and Geissele SSA-E trigger to go break in the barrel after the parts get here.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast