Thread: Ceramic plates submerged

Feedback Score

Ceramic plates submerged

During the hurricane my car was submerged for a few days. My Safariland level IV ceramics were underwater the entire time until I could recover them. They were still in the plastic shrink wrap but water was able to penetrate. Any possible issues with this or should they be GTG after letting them dry out?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    You definitely want to contact Safariland about this. Forum rules aside, you've got warranty issues that need to be sorted out. I'd encourage you to follow up here when you here when you hear back.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Yes, please let us know how this works out. I am sure there are a bunch of people with the same question.

And yes, we do have forum rules about contacting manufacturers first. In this situation knowing that the LEO might have to don those plates at any moment, let's keep this thread open to try and quickly get solid information to him.

I am glad to hear that you personally are okay. Bless you for everything you are doing to protect people and save lives. All of the first responders and military involved are in our thoughts.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dano5326 View Post
    I don't see a warranty issue. There is no shortfall or defect because of the mfgr.

Having swam with a.. "swimmer cut" plates numerous times I don't think I'd be terribly concerned with the ceramic.

There is however a reduced capability of kevlar to stop projectiles when soaked. Likely more important with stand alone soft armor. I'm unfamiliar with your particular plates, but often there is a kevlar or tarwon wrap around the ceramic which 1) reduces backface deformation 2) holds the plate together after impact 3) spall guard

Personally, I would feel ok if plates I had been issued dried out. Not knowing what you have I would still contact the mfgr.
    Warranty issue as in they may not stand behind thier product since it may have been exposed to a conduction it was never intended. It's worth looking into. You might be 100% correct but it needs to be addressed ybtnhe manufacturer before someone uses them, takes a round and the now the company won't honor the warranty.

Feedback Score
    Clr. I will contact Safariland and report back. I took the plastic wrap off. Honestly, they look fine but I just want to be sure.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Sounds good. Please let us know what they say, I know a couple of other LEO's down there that likely own plates as well.

Thanks again and stay safe.