Thread: Subsonic .223 load data for suppressed use

Feedback Score

Subsonic .223 load data for suppressed use

Can anyone recommend a load for use in an 11.5-in. 1x7 bbl with an AAC M4-2000 that will run just under 1,100 fps in warm weather?

Would actually prefer it didn't cycle the action to keep noise down, but most of all must stabilize so there's no chance of baffle strikes.

This load would be mostly for euthanizing injured animals, prefer softpoint/hollowpoint. Be nice if the round could penetrate a tire rim, too.

The same load could be issued to road officers for low-key usage in non-supressed 14.5 and 16-in. barrels, too.

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    I have been told, although I do not know for certain, that anything under 1800fps won't cycle the bolt, so you're probably going to end up with something that meets your "not cycle" the gun request no matter what. Lot of info in this thread:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=146269

and they link to some listed subsonic loads here:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/P...20to%20187.pdf

You'd be best served by testing these without the can first to make sure they don't tumble/keyhole.

Feedback Score
    I understand your particular circumstances. For those who truly need subsonic or other similar specialty ammo, Engel Ballistic Research makes the best we've seen to date: http://www.ebr-inc.net/Home.asp

In general, subsonic rifle ammo is very niche specific and rarely used. I can count on one hand the number of organizations I know of that have actually needed to use suppressed subsonic rifle projectiles in the real world. Subsonic rifle ammo is going to be below 1150 f/s...it then acts like a long handgun bullet and does NOT possess typical rifle projectile terminal effects. Also, think how the sound wave propagates away from the bullet flight path at supersonic velocities to see why the shooter location is hard to localize using a suppressor and supersonic rifle ammo.

Feedback Score
    SMJ thanks for the links.

Doc, this is VERY niche specific. Animal euthanasia suppressed and non-suppressed and perhaps very infrequently for FAST team use to puncture things like lights and tire rims with stealth.

I'll check out Engel (just sent them an email) but really looking for super cheap and home-rolled...that doesn't strike baffles.
    Last edited by Dan Goodwin; 10-06-08 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    if by 'load' you mean you want data for handloading, then I'll give you an update to that thread SMJ linked to. After trying all those loads and a dozen more, I finally settled on something most folks recommend not doing: a duplex load. i put about one grain of H38 in the case, followed by a couple grains of Trailboss. (I won't mention the actual amounts... )

The advantage was that an all-trailboss load fills up the case, but didn't give me the velocity I wanted. Using just H38 gives plenty of velocity, but the amount of powder is so small that I got very inconsistent velocities.

One more trick... finish the seating operation with the cartridge inverted. putz around with trailboss and heavy 224 bullets for a while and you'll figure out why.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Has anybody tried Hodgdon Titegroup? From what I understand it is not position sensitive.

I made some light loads for my son's 30-06 using Titegroup. I can't remember the recipe exactly but it was around 8 grains of Tite under a 165 grain lead bullet. I did not check the velocities but it would group around 2" at 100 yards. Good enough for a powder puff load.

Feedback Score
    Just FYI, been 10 days since I sent Engel an official request for data and agency prices and have received no reply.