Thread: .45 ACP Brass

Feedback Score

Cool .45 ACP Brass

I have been reloading for a few years on my Dillon 650. My question is that does it make a diff. if you use mixed .45 brass for target. Does it affect POA / POI as opposed to sorting out brass by head stamps????? Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by joker1969 View Post
    I have been reloading for a few years on my Dillon 650. My question is that does it make a diff. if you use mixed .45 brass for target. Does it affect POA / POI as opposed to sorting out brass by head stamps????? Thanks.
    Im assuming it's the same as 40, mixed head stamp doesn't change poi, but can affect group size.

So in more detail, it can affect poi, but like an 2" or less at 25yds IME. Unless your doing bullseye comps or bench rest shooting, don't worry about it.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^My experience bears this out.
    If you're going for precision, sort and load by headstamp.
    Mixed brass for range ammo will shoot to same POI.

An aside- Remington.45 ACP brass has been problematic with bullet setback using jacketed bullets in the past.
    Case walls were thinner and short of using a smaller diameter expander ball, you couldn't prevent this with ball/FMJ.
    Due to this I'd simply cull the Remington brass.
    It's possible this has been resolved in recent years, but I'd be aware of this issue with older range brass.
    I've had two buds blow out cases with setback which generated crazy high chamber pressures.

Feedback Score
    The only thing I'd add (depending on how you're sourcing your brass) is to watch for primer pocket size. There's enough small primer pocket 45acp brass out there now that it can be a pain. It's pretty easy to feel on my 650, but some guys feel resistance and then push harder. If you're paying attention to feel when priming, it's no biggie.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Is there any difference loading the small primer brass (besides the primer, of course)? I have picked up a pretty good amount at the range and reload for my Commander and son's Sig P220.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Thanks folks. I had a feeling y'all would say that but it doesn't hurt to ask the pros.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I assume you mean difference in load data?
    That answer is no- aside from the primer.

If you have a bunch of SP brass I guess it would be worth loading it.
    If you load on a progressive you'll have to change the primer assembly parts.
    I'd try to swap it for LP brass personally.

Forgot to add; if you shoot drills/matches with range buds and pick up/split brass after shooting- be prepared for some verbal abuse if you shoot SP .45 brass.
    Last edited by gaijin; 09-02-17 at 15:26.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have about 300 once fired SP cases, it was a pain sorting them out from the proper brass. It's definitely worth it for me to reload the SP brass.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have about 300 once fired SP cases, it was a pain sorting them out from the proper brass. It's definitely worth it for me to reload the SP brass.

Andy
    Be alert to the possibility that some of the small primer 45 brass may be crimped.