Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Registered auto sear for a 6920

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    This link is a pic showing the difference:
    https://goo.gl/images/hgwfFu

Why have you put a kibosh on the DIAS?
    I decided it was too much trouble and would be of less reliability than I am used to. If I went this route, I would go for a true M16.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I decided it was too much trouble and would be of less reliability than I am used to. If I went this route, I would go for a true M16.
    I recommend you jump in and start the search for a registered receiver M16. Prices are somewhat flat right now making for a better market. Certainly not a buyer's market (there hasn't been a buyer's market for MGs in quite some time), but prices on M16s are not jumping up $500-1k every month like they have in the past. If you think you want an M16, now is the time to buy. They will only be more expensive the next time you look in a year or two. The arfcom M16 subforum and Subguns.com NFA discussion forum are the best places to discuss transferable M16s; highest signal to noise ratio of any place on the internet for this topic. I'm happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to email me off the boards.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I recommend you jump in and start the search for a registered receiver M16. Prices are somewhat flat right now making for a better market. Certainly not a buyer's market (there hasn't been a buyer's market for MGs in quite some time), but prices on M16s are not jumping up $500-1k every month like they have in the past. If you think you want an M16, now is the time to buy. They will only be more expensive the next time you look in a year or two. The arfcom M16 subforum and Subguns.com NFA discussion forum are the best places to discuss transferable M16s; highest signal to noise ratio of any place on the internet for this topic. I'm happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to email me off the boards.
    I would agree. I have seen prices in the $15k to $22k range, depending upon quality.

I wish I would have thought more about market prices in 1986, instead of complaining that I could no longer buy an automatic weapon. Think about the return on investment.

I want to digress a little, back to the OP about buying an auto-sear. To my knowledge, the registered automatic weapon is the lower receiver. Once owned, you can replace with whatever sear you want, but I have not heard that the sear itself is registered. I could be wrong, as I don't normally delve into machine guns, but I do know something about NFA.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by longshot2000 View Post
    I want to digress a little, back to the OP about buying an auto-sear. To my knowledge, the registered automatic weapon is the lower receiver. Once owned, you can replace with whatever sear you want, but I have not heard that the sear itself is registered. I could be wrong, as I don't normally delve into machine guns, but I do know something about NFA.
    Here's one.
    https://www.davidspiwak.com/gun/m4-c...o-carbine-nib/

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Got it. I have now been educated.

Feedback Score
    That's actually the first one that I've ever seen (perhaps I should say noticed) and I happened upon it yesterday.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I have both. They are equally unreliable.

Read that how you like. My RR and rLL are phenomenal.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Liver View Post
    I have both. They are equally unreliable.

Read that how you like. My RR and rLL are phenomenal.
    Both were 100% reliable?
    Both were very unreliable?
    RR=?
    rLL=?

So far, not much actionable information here.

Feedback Score
    They are exactly the same in reliability or unreliability.

rLL is a registered lightning link or auto disconnect
    RR is a registered receiver.

In my experience, I’m not a SOT / FFL. Legal full auto receivers were made back in the day when super precise manufacturing of receivers was not the norm. Example, today you can buy any upper and any lower and have a very very high probability that they will mate and work flawlessly.

A full auto lower may not be that way and may require some coaxing to work. A rLL will require some coaxing to work.

What people assume is that having a lower is a guarantee that things will work. It’s not. However, if it is brought back into spec, then it’ll be great.

With a rLL if you get it working it’ll be exactly the same. This time you have a brand new manufactured receiver with every dimension being perfect.

Pick your poison. For me, I’ll sell my receiver before I sell my rLL. However, neither is for sale.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the additional information. I definitely agree that manufacturing tolerances are much better now.

The market perception (and perhaps an assumption on my part) is that a Colt registered receiver is more likely to be problem free than those that were converted or made by other manufacturers. I'm sure having a Colt brand on a receiver would equate to a premium all else being equal, but not the current $5,000 to $10,000 difference that we see now.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast