Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Registered auto sear for a 6920

Feedback Score
    I would assume that a Colt would be better, but that is a pure assumption on my part.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    Thanks for the additional information. I definitely agree that manufacturing tolerances are much better now.

The market perception (and perhaps an assumption on my part) is that a Colt registered receiver is more likely to be problem free than those that were converted or made by other manufacturers. I'm sure having a Colt brand on a receiver would equate to a premium all else being equal, but not the current $5,000 to $10,000 difference that we see now.
    Generally speaking the factory m16's like the colts are going to be the most trouble free. Aftermarket parts were not anywhere near the quality they are now.

That being said by this point many of the others that had issues have been fixed. Places like m60joe have blueprinted and repaired a lot of lowers and fixed them. If you get one of the receivers that had been fixed or at least checked over by a well known smith I wouldn't be worried about it. That being said I bought a colt 727(m16a2 carbine).

It is also worth saying that both Olympic and colt(as well as others I'm guessing) "rebuilt" a bunch of lowers in the 90's and into like the early 2000's. The atf was then permitting them to destroy the old lower and replace it with a new one with the same serial. They were ok then but you never know when the atf will change its mind. The newer olympics with the updated a2 or a4 design are gtg from what I've read. Colt did it too if you knew someone. A bunch of the colts that hit the market nib in the last two years came from a former colt employee. The story is that he bought up transferable's for years out of their tool rooms and then had them rebuilt, some before the atf stopped the practice and some after. Some of them are engraved wrong, others are engraved with things that a transferable shouldn't have like m4 enhanced. As of now the atf doesn't seem to care. This is how you see m16a1's with the latest lower design done in black. Any of those guns should be as good as you can get but again you never know if the atf will change their minds. Olympic had a fire years ago that destroyed a bunch of their records so it would be harder to track down.
    Last edited by ccosby; 09-29-17 at 15:36.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This gun has a Qualified registered auto sear (not a drop-in sear)

If that means they took a GI sear and installed it in a S/A lower, registering the sear and not the receiver, I would run away so fast Usain Bolt could not catch me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post

If that means they took a GI sear and installed it in a S/A lower, registering the sear and not the receiver, I would run away so fast Usain Bolt could not catch me.
    Why? BTW, someone is in the process of buying it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Why? BTW, someone is in the process of buying it.
    1) When you drill a sear hole in a S/A receiver, you just made a Registered Receiver.

2) GI sears are NOT conversion parts but factory F/A parts, thus they cannot be registered machine guns. Slapping an SN one does not change this.

Decades of Case Law/History on this.

Feedback Score
    So you're saying that's an illegal machinegun?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have not seen it so cannot say. But if it is not a RR, or use a RLL, or a DIAS, but does use a 'Qualified registered auto sear", how is it converted?

A receiver with sear hole is a machine gun.

Feedback Score
    just make sure a few different mil spec uppers fit before buying a m16 lower

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bad107 View Post
    just make sure a few different mil spec uppers fit before buying a m16 lower
    Good point. I'll bring a few Colts to test on mine when it arrives.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post

Agree. Run far away.

I've seen a fleming marked serialized GI sear in a SP1. As I understand it, these were stopped by ATF same as the AK autosears. Guns that were already converted were allowed. Sears that were not installed were not allowed to be installed. Given that the Colt in which this qualified sear is installed is definitively post-86 manufacture, this particular rifle is a post-86 MG
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast