Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a steam cleaner for use with guns and corrosive ammo...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Recommend a steam cleaner for use with guns and corrosive ammo...

What are your recommendations for a steam cleaner for use with guns and corrosive ammo. I'm told that in WWII they used hot water to dissolve the corrosive salts. So me thinks hot water good, steam cleaner better?

TED

Feedback Score
    Interesting

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    #ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Regular water still works. I use a bathtub or kitchen sink for my black powder guns and my 74.

Edit: Check this out- https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?87949-How-I-clean-my-S-amp-W-5-45-AR15
    Last edited by 1168; 09-09-17 at 05:22. Reason: Add link

Feedback Score
    Well you put your finger on the problem--salt. Corrosive primers leave a salt residue and that will corrode barrels. The natural solvent for that is water. If you can get it old GI bore cleaner is good because it will cut the salt (it's water based). Black powder shooters have the same problem and their solution is hot soapy water. I have not tried this but you might try a black powder cleaning solution to get rid of the salt and then modern solvents.

Feedback Score
    I would assume hot steam would do the job

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    The hot part is mainly for fast drying.

As mlberry pointed out, the affinity of salt and water is what makes it possible for water to clean the salt out, but is simultaneously the source of rust. I am from Kentucky so don't have first hand experience with this, but from what I have read corrosive ammunition can be almost a non issue in dry areas like deserts for that reason.

Also as he pointed out, anything that really works for blackpowder will work to clean chlorate primers with soapy water being the traditional route on both.

What I have mostly switched over to on blackpowder and corrosive primers is the Ballistol and water emulsion they have ratios for

https://ballistol.com/faqs/

It truly does mix, so once the water evaporates there is the Ballistol film left. The other upside is it will dissolve any copper or zinc jacket material which covers most anything I can think of. No idea how, but patches come out blue...just not as fast as cleaners with high ammonia concentrations.
    Last edited by JasonB1; 09-11-17 at 08:58.

Feedback Score
    The British would pore two pints of boiling water down the bore of their Enfield rifles to remove the corrosive primer salts and carbon. Afterwards they would use a pull through and pull a oily cloth through the bore. The armourers would decide when the copper needed to be removed and then mix up some copper solvent.

Feedback Score
    Some say use simple green, Windex

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tvfreakarms View Post
    Some say use simple green, Windex

Simple Green will work for the soap in soapy water. Just don't soak aluminum parts with it.

Water in Windex will clean the salts like water from other sources

Feedback Score
    I don't shoot much in the way of corrosive ammo, but have been told Ballistol can be pretty effective. It also makes a pretty good cutting agent with water. Quite a few black powder and mil-surp rifle shooters I know use Ballistol with very good success.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast