Thread: 300 Blk Project

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)

300 Blk Project

I'd been wanting to put together a 300 Blk build for some time.

I have a BCM 16", 300 Blk that shoots 1.5" with Barnes 110 gr. BlackTip which is entirely sufficient for any intended purpose.
    In spite of that I felt a need to put something together that might be a bit more accurate.

Sourced a low round count, Nitride, Faxon, Heavy Fluted barrel for a price I couldn't pass on. Have never used a Faxon barrel but have read good things. My limited experience has been with BCM. Criterion and Ballistic Advantage barrels.
    None have been lemons.

I used a spare/virgin M.I. upper that I trued/squared along with a Superlative Arms adj. gas block, 15" BCM KMR-A rail and their mod 1 comp.
    Forgot to add- BCG is ToolCraft Nitride, as I've had good luck with them is 5.56 guns. I do change out the extractor springs to BCM springs as one time I had an OEM spring go south and cause problems with function.
    I added an inexpensive PA's ACSS 1-6 (second focal plane) scope as this is to be a 250 yd. gun at the ranch. The scope is callibrated for 300 Blk, my hope is the ranging "ticks" are use-ably accurate with this gun/ammo.

We have some bean fields adjacent a small river that flows through the property that is a source of game and coyotes. Shots seldom exceed 200 yds. in these areas.
    The gun should be a dandy for "evil doers" as well. Like a lot of rural areas- there is a never ending hassle with trespassers, meth freaks and poachers.

The lower is fairly stock BCM.
    I changed the trigger to a 3# Timney, added ambi safety and Magpul BAD lever. These, primarily because that's what I'm used to.
    I'm using an H3 buffer and Sprinco Blue in it.

The gun shoots.
    The Faxon barrel would consistently put 5 rds. of my handload of H110/Barnes 110 Tac-Tx at 2400 fps into < 1.25" from the bench at 100 yds.
    I had several groups just under 1" as well, but not consistently.

Last edited by gaijin; 09-03-17 at 13:20.

Feedback Score
    Good looking rifle you got there. Sounds like it's a good shooter to. Maybe a little work at the reloading bench and the group will be even smaller.

I'm just getting my feet wet in the .300 AAC Blackout world. I have not been able to shoot it yet, as work, weather and health has gotten in the way.

I was going to use a Faxon Firearms barrel for this build as I was very impressed with the 10.5" pencil barrel in 5.56X45mm I used in my SBR.

That turned in 1.5 MOA groups with Hornady American Gunner 55gr HP match.

Heck it was a good sold 2.5 MOA with the M193 "ball". So to say I'm sold on Faxon is an understatement.

With my .300 AAC Blackout, I ended up getting a Bergara barrel for $65.00. I have heard good things about them so I hope that I didn't make a mistake in not using the Faxon barrel.

I used the superlative arms Superlative Arms adjustable bleed off gas block on my 5.56X45mm SBR build and I love it, I have it adjusted to the bleed off position and it's been 100% reliable and the recoil is smooth with the empty brass ejecting into a nice neat pile about 3 o'clock.

It sounds like you have some very good parts for your build and it looks like a good shooter. Enjoy and I hope that it serves you well.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Thank you.

I've jacked with load development a bit.
    There's not a lot I can do using a bullet with a cannelure and mag/COAL limits and one or two powders even capable of making my desired velocity.
    I'm quite happy with what I ended up with- accuracy wise.

Feedback Score
    I understand that. I haven't even gotten dies and such.

I have just dipped my toe into the .300 AAC Blackout pool.

I have that same scope for another 5.56X45mm build and I really like it. My only real complaint is it's kinda heavy.

I have an original BCM KMR handguard in 15" and love it. I also have the BCM KMR Alpha in 9" and love it also.

I have been eyeing a BCM Mod-0 stock, how do you like your? I have acouple of builds with the Battlelink Minimalist stock and it has been a good stock for me. I like it's lightweight and good cheek weld, but I like to try something different.

How does it compare to lets say MagPul MOE stock?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I'll confess to being a stock whore.
    Seem to be continually searching for that "perfect" one.
    As an upland hunter/shotgunner, I'm aware of stock fit being mandatory for hitting with a shotgun.
    The similarity with an AR is- I'm looking for a stock (preferably lightweight) that immediately brings my eye to the optic, without having to fish for it or adjust my cheek weld.
    This is obviously a subjective, individual notion. What works for me may, or may not work for you.

The BCM mod O is a current favorite. I also have the MFT minimalist stocks on guns which seem to work for me.

Feedback Score
    I might have to try that BCM Mod-0 stock then, I like it's looks and of course BCM makes/markets high quality stuff. I was surprised of how much I liked the Battlelink Minimalist stock.

I have a couple of builds planned, and I'm wanting something different than the Battlelink Minimalist stock and the MagPul MOE stock that I have been using. I like more simple, straightforward and lighter weight stocks, but I'm not really a fan of the issue M4 style.

Thanks for the heads up.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Nice build! With the results less than 1.25 - I'm surpremely confidenty you can get that consistently sub-MOA with a different powder load.

Thanks for sharing some photos. Mind if we brag on your build?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I agree and have no doubt that dropping the charge down would help achieve minute of angle Nate.
    I would be willing to bet on it.
    I'm aware I could try N110 or perhaps 'Lil Gun, try different primers, dick with COAL (this bullet has cannelure), but I had an 8# can of H110.

However my desire was more for a "hunting" gun than a precision gun.
    1 1/2" at 100 yds. was my imagined, minimum accuracy requirement- for coyotes/deer/hogs for "peace of mind".
    The Barnes bullet I'm using will open and function as designed to 1300 FPS.
    The trajectory of the 300 blk is a mortar. My maximum, realistic range is likely 250 yds., with 300 being absolute max for reliable expansion (from 16" barrel).
    With a 200 yd. zero there's nearly 13" drop at 300 yds., with the Barnes Tac-Tx at 2400 fps- which is max horsepower.

Sooo, everything being a trade off, I'm going for max velocity, with acceptable accuracy.
    In view of the above, I'm happy as hell with consistent, 1.25" groups- that's just over 3" at 250 yds. Entirely adequate for the intended purpose.

FWIW- I will use your barrels again.

FaxonNathan Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    FWIW- I will use your barrels again.
    We are honored. Thank you!

Feedback Score
    ammo looks intense!