Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help choosing low power variable optic for AR

Feedback Score
    Atncorp may be? These guys offer very wide range of digital optics, from smart HD cameras to thermal vision devices.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpoth View Post
    I have reviewed several threads regarding optics 1-4x to 1-8 power. My budget is 2K to 2500 max. I would like to mount this optic on an MR556 for use for 3 gun and general sport shooting. I want an optic with genuine 1x power on the low end. From my reading I'd prefer a FFP with a large bold circle like reticle. Day light illuminated washout is not as important to me as long as the black bold reticle is still identifiable quickly in daylight. Below are several options I have considered so far. Any first hand experience is much appreciated.

Leupold Mark 6 1-6
    Nightforce NXS 1-4x24mm
    Kahles K16i 1-6x24
    Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28
    Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24

I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for any help,
    Chris
    You say you want a FFP reticle, but out of your list only the Leupold and Trijicon are FFP.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Those are all quality scopes. The NXS 1-4x stands out for its limited magnification range, but it's also smaller and lighter than the others.

As already noted, SFP is fine and generally preferred for low power variables.

I would add another vote for the Vortex Razor 1-6x, the only real limitation of which is substantial weight.

cpoth Guest
    Thanks everyone for the help. titsonritz, thank you as well, I understand the mixed message from my original post. The FFP was a preference based on reading a thread Jack Leuba had commented on and his experience with FFP LPVOs. That being said, I didn't want to be too limited in what suggestions/experience I would receive. Fortunately some good suggestions included the Kahles which I researched some more and was able to see in person (however not shoot with it yet). It is ultimately what I decided on. Cabelas had it for 2,000 with 10% off for Labor Day. I was able to get it at 1799 + tax. Thanks again everyone I appreciate all of the help/advice.

Chris

Feedback Score
    I have reviewed several threads regarding optics 1-4x to 1-8 power. My budget is 2K to 2500 max. I would like to mount this optic on an MR556 for use for 3 gun and general sport shooting. I want an optic with genuine 1x power on the low end. From my reading I'd prefer a FFP with a large bold circle like reticle. Day light illuminated washout is not as important to me as long as the black bold reticle is still identifiable quickly in daylight. Below are several options I have considered so far. Any first hand experience is much appreciated.

Leupold Mark 6 1-6
    Nightforce NXS 1-4x24mm
    Kahles K16i 1-6x24
    Trijicon AccuPower 1-8x28
    Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24

I am open to other suggestions as well.

Thanks for any help,
    Chris
    So I shoot quite a bit of 3gun, usually 2 matches a month. I started running the 1-8 accupower and I love it for 3gun. I ran the TR24 for a while, then i ran my VCOG for a while. I got the 1-8 and it is the best optic for me. I have the red MOA and IT IS DAYLIGHT BRIGHT on settings 9, 10, and 11. On 1x it is an eotech but on 8x it's similiar to the nightforce moar reticle. I have experience with the MK6 because my buddy has one and he wants to get rid of it, we both have the same gripes. The reticle on 1x is very small so if you're an aimpoint guy it will be nice but the reticle flickers with movement. The eyebox is not forgiving and is what causes the flicker in the illumination. The glass quality is good, the reticles are decent on 6x, I'm not a fan on them on 1x. It is not a bold reticle if it washes out but it's bright just small. That's my biggest complaint too with the razor 1-6. I am like you and for a FFP 1-X I want a big bold reticle not a .5 moa iluminated dot in the middle of a SFP. The accupower is what I would get personally. I don't have experience with kahles or swarovski. I have handled a night force 1-4 an I did like it, but it's dated like my TR24. Great scope but time has caught up to it. For a general purpose go bag or duty optic I would roll with it, but I don't know how crazy your matches get at distance, mine has us trying to hit 8 inch plates at 375yds.

Feedback Score
    I had been leaning to the trijicon accupower 1-8. Outside of price are there other advantages to the razor over the accupower?
    Hit up ingus on gunbroker, search accupower on there click price twice and it will filter most expensive accupowers and the 1-8's will show up, he has them for 1300 or so. the accupower is also lighter than the razor.

Feedback Score
    Been saving for the Trijicon 1-8 and will probably get it this month. For me, nothing else beats it in my price range. Will be my upgrade from an SWFA 1-4 HD optic which as been great.

Sport Optics has it for $1,200 after using their promo, that's where I'll get it from.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I got mine from Kenzie's at a gun show for 1285 so that's a really good price. I love mine, for 3gun I think it's ideal for me and I also thing it's great for a battle rifle 308 type optic. I do want another one in the future.

cpoth Guest
    Attachment 47427Thanks again for the help. Here is the setup.

Feedback Score
    Nice stick, dude. The LPVO game in 6x is the Kahles, and to 8x, the accupower seems like it's the ticket. Ya done good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast